New RSM 130D Owner.

GregD

BigAl,
This is non Friendly???? Man i have been watching it grow since day one.
I will do some searching on this site and find out what it is how to remove.

Thanx
G

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's a VERY fast growing and VERY prolific type of "Pest Anemone". They are pretty in their own right and I enjoy seeing them at first. Once they take root they will take over a tank and will literally kill many other coral and out-compete them for real estate. You'll want to address this situation while it's still easy to manage.

Aiptasia

GregD

Just did a quick read on this guy, thought i was lucky to get a free anemone....
Looks like a pepermint shrimp will eat this guy? do you think i should grab one on the way home or dicard the rock? The rock is a great looking piece with a nice shelfs to host "Good Corals". Is there a better way to remove other than purchasing the elctrocution method device?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If it's just the ONE rock I think I'd probably take it out, scrub it big time in old tank water and see if that gets it. No reason to NOT add a pep-shrimp as they are really neat to have but they aren't guaranteed to eat them. Hardly anything in this hobby is guaranteed LOL!

There is always "aiptasia-X" you can buy or you can make a thick "kalkwasser" paste and cover it with it and it will kill it. The trick is if there is only ONE to keep it that way.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Also you have what appears to be "aiptasia" in this pic
DSCN6077.jpg

You may want to address it while small #'s.

Very nice pics. Especially the one pf your first coral. The glass anemone. Keep up the pics tank looks really nice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

GregD

New Peppermint Shrimp has made himself comfy in the large cave at the bottom of the tank. I will allow him 24/48hrs to devour the anemone. If it fails to find and eat it, I will hit it with aiptasia-X (lfs out of stock).
It's a goner for sure.

GregD

24hrs of Peppermint Shrimp (I think? Per the Hot Link listed above) ~VS~ Aiptasia Anemone.
I found what appeared to be another very small Aiptasia last night. It is now among the missing and hopefully in the belly of Mr Peppermint. The larger and more prominent Aiptasia is still hanging in there.
The shrimp has made his first appearance since being introduced to the tank yesterday. hopefully tonight he will be hungry and consume its next subject.

My neighbor has a 90gal very mature reef tank. He has offered me a 4/5 Rose Bubble Tip Anemone for my 130D. I plan to complete my water change saturday and introduce this Rose tip to my tank next week.
What is the general consensus of these types of Anemones?

GregD

So i think at this point i am ahead of the game with the Aiptasia. I gave it and a good dose of X and it has not stuck its head out of its hole since.
Introduced my first live stock on Sunday. Picked up a Sand Sifting Star and a Red Scooter Blenny. Both seem to be adjusting well. The Blenny is eating small items from the substrate and the star has reemerged form the its initial burrowing. I will post a pick of the Blenny soon.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looking forward to the pictures, and nice rockwork! Sorry about the pest anemones, and congrats on killing them! :lol:

I would wait for a long while on that anemone, as they require very stable, very mature water quality. Even if all of your tests check out perfectly, it isn't likely to survive for long until the tank is set up for a few more months. Just some of the secrets of a reef. :)

artpics

good advice

I would wait for a long while on that anemone, as they require very stable, very mature water quality. Even if all of your tests check out perfectly, it isn't likely to survive for long until the tank is set up for a few more months. Just some of the secrets of a reef. :)

sig.php

GregD

Thanks for the advise! Dont want to kill it, as i plan to have clowns in the tank and would like them to live in this Rose Tip for a long time to come.

artpics

What additional circulator pump do you recomend for the 130D?

i used a maxijet 1200 ($20) for 5 months on mine instead of one of the red sea pumps fits in the same location so you keep the stock look. then i bought a vortech mp10es ($220) lots of $$$ but worth it.
sig.php

GregD

Thanks for the feed back on pump choices.
Here are a few pics of my newest addition and the clean up crew.
DSCN6101.jpg

RSCN6095.jpg

DSCN6102.jpg

DSCN6100.jpg