New rock from florida live rock!

FishinBob

Well took a drive to Tampa today to pickup some rock from Dale at Florida live rock... Quite porous and covered in life from tube corals to encrusting sponges and feather dusters all over!! Picked up around 75-85 lbs 40 coraline, 20 premium coraline and around 10-15 of the deco rock! you can pick and choose the pieces you want awesome I'll get some more pictures once I have it covered!
c6e4eb62-3c2f-dae4.jpg

c6e4eb62-3ca5-2c48.jpg

FishinBob

Lol yeah picked out a few gorilla crabs and some flat worms and numerous brittle stars tonight gunna soak them and then do a high salinity dip then coral dip them all then soak again and redo the process one more time before main tank!! Any other suggestions to help minimize hickhickers?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I wish I could get that stuff, every tank Ive seen using it looks fantastic, congrats!

tnwillia

Not really, if this is the rock I'm thinking about they run their own harvest gardens in the ocean, it's the price you pay for getting the beautiful rock, they pull it up and ship it and it's "FULL" of life. Have fun!

FishinBob

Yup correct, ocean harvested like 80% of the figi,tonga, and other live rocks you can purchase via the Internet... Except they have tons of dead loss. Almost everything is going to have some sort of hitchhiker ...unless it's dry rock!! Will mine have more yup probably... It's pretty fresh have been in holding tanks for about 1-2 months but are teeming with life both good and bad! Just asking if anyone had any "tips" for removing as much of the bad hitchhikers as possible!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Half of my rock is this type. The colors are great. Other than not getting set on your tank aquascape until you know all the bad stuff is gone, no other tips. I'm still trying to trap #6 crab. I had a mantis as well. I have a nice fuge with some of the macroalgae I got with the rock, and the colorful sponge is still thriving.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I love hitchhikers. I love live rock

I just hate hitchhikers that eat the expensive corals.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

FishinBob

Well I have went over and over my rock and removed many of hitchhickers about 4 stone crabs about 4 or 5 gorilla crabs a couple bristle worms in the 3-4" range and this little guy tonight... Mr mantis!!! Saw him the first night then boom he's gone then tonight luck was on my side and he fell out of a rock I was removing some sponge from!!! Now to stArt cycling in the tank finally!! I started juicing my majano's with the boiling water/vinegar today so I'm going to cycle a couple days in tank before I start scaping to make sure I got them all!!!
c6e4eba9-532c-a1ae.jpg

Uslanja

We LOVE Live Rock and the more life it has the better; you have some dynamite pieces!! Looking forward too lots of photos of the life you find on it!!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hope u saved that mantis dude. In a few years ur gonna want him. Check the mantis thread.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

FishinBob

Lol matt I have been following that thread!!! I am keeping him... Just don't have a permeant home for him yet he is only about an inch long trying to look up the species to see how big they get I would love a peacock!!! There BA!!!