New reefer with RSM C-250

Brookesy

Hey everyone, just on day 7 of cycling my new rsm 250 and getting close to adding my clean up crew. I'm a complete novice when it comes to keeping a marine tank although I have kept tropical for a number of years. I must say so far I'm impressed with the rsm c-250 although I do have a few questions.

1) my skimmer has been running constantly for 7 days now although it's doesn't seem to be skimming anything. Is this normal? Can anyone give me some advice for this.

2) I've added all my live rock but it appears I've ended up with a lot of tongan branch rock and a few pieces of plate rock. I've heard that this doesn't work as well as a filter as the Fiji rock. Is this going to cause me a problem? I currently have about 27kg of the stuff.

3) what are the best critters to add as a clean up crew?

I have some pics of the tank setup and would love to share them with people to see what you think.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

after 5 post, you can add pics

on the skimmer, yes normal, it's breaking in & you have little bio-load so far...

my 1st swt I used all tonga branch LR - will work fine ... just so slow best advise anyone can tell you starting up

I love snails for cuc - Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites,Margarita, Nassarius and Mexican Turbos
and one or two skunk cleaner shrimp :dance: my favorite shrimp by far

congrats on the new beautiful RSM c250

Brookesy

Thanks I'm following the Red Sea reef mature kit at the moment and everything's seems to be going well. I have plenty of diatoms in my tank so I will be adding a few snails in a day or two.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
be sure your cycle completes... before adding anything alive :)

Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

Brookesy

Great advice thanks, my nitrites and ammonia are both zero but my nitrates are a little high. I will keep an eye on the parameters for a bit longer to be on the safe side.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
ass this syntax around your url & pics will show up :)

Great start, you will have lots of great places to mount corals and nice swim throughs

brookesy-albums-new-rsm-250-setup-picture25797-img-20141208-wa0000.jpg