New redsea tank

Nobbygas

Cool thanks for that didn't know about the skimmer thing but will do it from now on thanks
That is the worst thing about the Energy A+B in that you cannot dose it via a doser as it has to be stored in the fridge, and needs a good shake every time you use it.

Steve1310

Hi can anyone give me some info on my mushroom please.
I bought it about 2 weeks ago and all it's done is droop down I believe it's suppose to open up and have tentacles am I right and does it look ok .
ba08dd40a2eb89f14bbf214d51119155.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Steve1310

Thanks

Can anyone help my magnesium is above 1600 hundred I have been told it's not important but just want a bit more info on it, so is it ok can i get it down and how and what's the best way to maintaining it

Nobbygas

I'd say if you are dosing Mag, then stop and let the level drop naturally as it get's used up. Once it has dropped to where you want it to be, start dosing again, but with a reduced amount.
Or if you want a quick reduction, just do a water change.

Steve1310

I'd say if you are dosing Mag, then stop and let the level drop naturally as it get's used up. Once it has dropped to where you want it to be, start dosing again, but with a reduced amount.
Or if you want a quick reduction, just do a water change.
Iam not dosing I have never done that it has always been that high I think the lowest it's Been is 1580 the other week

SPR

Iam not dosing I have never done that it has always been that high I think the lowest it's Been is 1580 the other week

What's your salinity as that can affect the level of Magnesium quiet a lot ?

Also have you checked how much Mg is in the salt mixture your using when mixed to x salinity?

The Mg test kits are very sensitive and it only takes minor errors when doing a test and the results can be way off. I use the Red Sea test kit and again it's very sensitive.

In my tank the Mg level has always been around 1380-1440ppm when using the Red Sea Coral Pro salt which at 35ppm salinity mixes to Mg of 1350-1430ppm. Your salinity doesn't need to be out much and it will affect the readings quiet a lot.

If it is at 1580-1600 and as long as everything is healthy, I would just deal with it as part of water changes but just check what Mg is actually in your salt mix because that's what your putting back in.

Also if you get any 'odd' test result wether Mg or others, double check before reacting. When I first started my Mg was up and down like a yoyo. But it was test error, which I learned after dumping loads of Mg powder in the tank! To no I'll effect as it turned out.

Steve1310

What's your salinity as that can affect the level of Magnesium quiet a lot ?

Also have you checked how much Mg is in the salt mixture your using when mixed to x salinity?

The Mg test kits are very sensitive and it only takes minor errors when doing a test and the results can be way off. I use the Red Sea test kit and again it's very sensitive.

In my tank the Mg level has always been around 1380-1440ppm when using the Red Sea Coral Pro salt which at 35ppm salinity mixes to Mg of 1350-1430ppm. Your salinity doesn't need to be out much and it will affect the readings quiet a lot.

If it is at 1580-1600 and as long as everything is healthy, I would just deal with it as part of water changes but just check what Mg is actually in your salt mix because that's what your putting back in.

Also if you get any 'odd' test result wether Mg or others, double check before reacting. When I first started my Mg was up and down like a yoyo. But it was test error, which I learned after dumping loads of Mg powder in the tank! To no I'll effect as it turned out.
I am using continuum marine sea salt and the mg says it is 1,290 and my salinity is at 1.025 at moment but I us the red sea test kit but I will test it again and take my time to see if it's me rushing the test thanks.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I am using continuum marine sea salt and the mg says it is 1,290 and my salinity is at 1.025 at moment but I us the red sea test kit but I will test it again and take my time to see if it's me rushing the test thanks.

Just follow the instructions to the letter especially the 15 seconds count between each of the first 5 drops. If your feeling inpatient don't do the test! Lol. You have to be very methodical and if your not in the frame of mind......

Also make sure you rinse out the vials with RODI water after each use. The mg only uses 2ml of water so you can imagine how accurate you need to be at all stages of the test. Also from memory, 1 drop extra of the reagent fluid can make 10-20ppm difference in the result.

Steve1310

Just follow the instructions to the letter especially the 15 seconds count between each of the first 5 drops. If your feeling inpatient don't do the test! Lol. You have to be very methodical and if your not in the frame of mind......

Also make sure you rinse out the vials with RODI water after each use. The mg only uses 2ml of water so you can imagine how accurate you need to be at all stages of the test. Also from memory, 1 drop extra of the reagent fluid can make 10-20ppm difference in the result.
Just done new test followed to the T and still at 1600 I mix my own salt mixture for every 25 litres I put in about 800 g of salt which is coming out at 1.026 is that ok.
Iam thinking of changing to redsea normal salt mix would it be worth it or not.

mr_tap_water

As already said above it is very important to wash out the test tubes Thoroughly sometimes just using rodi water isn't enough try using a cotton bud or a small brush as well to help get rid of the smartest Trice as I found myself can make a big difference with the red Sea Test kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve1310

As already said above it is very important to wash out the test tubes Thoroughly sometimes just using rodi water isn't enough try using a cotton bud or a small brush as well to help get rid of the smartest Trice as I found myself can make a big difference with the red Sea Test kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok will do I will do another test later and post results thanks again

Steve1310

Ok will do I will do another test later and post results thanks again

Yep after doing all that test came back at 1480 thankyou for all that advice it's helped a lot but got no idea why some corals are not growing just dieing but thanks again

Steve1310

Hi can anyone help I have in my red sea 350 reefer tank 4 newa wave powerheads each one running at 3900lph iam having problems with corals dieing for no reason or corals that are just detaching themself from there skeleton/stem.
Iam looking to change up next year and restart my corals up again, has anyone got any ideas of which powerheads or wave machine would be best for my tank.
Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
losing corals as described above & flow in your red sea 350 reefer, I am guessing... are not related.

Stability of the tanks water is more likely the key, try 10-15 % wc weekly for 3 months and don't dose anything ... try some lps corals and soft corals and you should have better success.

In your 73 gallon tank, one or two Vortech mp 10 would be my 1st choice, for additional flow - expensive very nice

Steve1310

losing corals as described above & flow in your red sea 350 reefer, I am guessing... are not related.

Stability of the tanks water is more likely the key, try 10-15 % wc weekly for 3 months and don't dose anything ... try some lps corals and soft corals and you should have better success.

In your 73 gallon tank, one or two Vortech mp 10 would be my 1st choice, for additional flow - expensive very nice
Thankyou I don't dose at moment because don't need to and I regularly do 10% water change every week and every fourth week I do a 15% water change, but my latest victim is a green hammer head I got two storms and last night one just shrunk and this morning just detached it self but will look into that one that you said thankyou.

Pat24601

Are you having problems with all of your corals?

I say this because it sounds like you are doing everything right and I found that I had some corals that flourished and some corals that did terrible for me and I never found any clear rhyme or reason for it. Some "easy" corals died and some hard ones did super well.

I finally gave up trying. I decided whatever I was doing with flow, water, lighting and placement just worked for some and not others. So, I clung onto what worked.

For example, I had a branching hammer I practically tried to kill and it flourished and got huge. I fragged it multiple times. I had a wall hammer that died on me for no reason I could ever figure out.

So, go figure.

Steve1310

Iam the same I've had the hammer head from the start of the tank and for some reason half has detached same with my Duncan I placed it and it thrive then all of a sudden detached and some others. But maybe it's like you I will stick to what works thankyou for the feed back.
Is anyone in the UK in the Lincolnshire area who knows of any good good shops that sell frags

Last edited: