New redsea tank

Steve1310

Hi I have had my redsea 350 reefer tank for about 2 months iam new to the hobby and doing great on some things and bad on others, iam still getting my head round things and learning ever day just wish I had a great shop near me that I could turn to for asking those silly questions.
My tank is a RS 350 reefer with 2 v2 ilumenair 600 I have 4 3900lph powerheads and a bubble magus, all levels are spot on calcium is at 520 but in progress of getting that back down but still finding it hard to keep odd corals but loving the hobby. Once I find out how to load photos up I will add a photo. I also have a good cleaning crew with turbo, hermits, sand sifters starfish, 2 conch and a shrimp i also have 2 clown fish a blue tang a foxface a scooter a false royal grammar or (royal dottyback) and a orange and black fish not got the name yet.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a tank thread ! Great start !!!

wish I had a great shop near me that I could turn to for asking those silly questions.

Feel free to ask any questions - we all had the same questions at one time in our SW journey, sure someone can answer & the Great thing about RS is it's flame free, unlike some reefing forums, it's a real Sanctuary.

and you will find you will get lots better info than most lfs...

Steve1310

Can anyone help my corals keep going up and down but can't work out what's wrong my levels are
Phosphate/ 0
ph/ 8.3
ammonia/ 0
nitrite/0
nitrate/ 5
kh/ 12
calcium/ 520
salinity/ 1.026
temp/ 27.9c due to white spot normally runs at 26c
I think I got them all can someone tell me if things are good please,
I feed my corals Continuum ocean snow 15ml every 3 days and my tracky and dunchan with lps coral pellets.

SPR

Hi Steve

Some corals don't like the higher alkalinity levels at 12dkh. I was running at that level for a while on the Red Sea accelerated growth program, and when I dropped back to 8dkh many of the corals improved. So maybe try slowly dropping back down.

Just try and get all the parameters stable and balanced and the keep them there with either auto dosing or manual if you prefer but stability is the key. Corals don't like changes and they will tell you so. In your size tank maybe look at ABC+ as well for the foundation elements.

I think the temp is ok temporarily. Mine is around 27c here in the uk with no ill effects at the moment

Also look into Reef Energy for the corals as a daily food.

PS check out the Red Sea Reef Care Program. I've followed it from day one.

Steve1310

Hi Steve

Some corals don't like the higher alkalinity levels at 12dkh. I was running at that level for a while on the Red Sea accelerated growth program, and when I dropped back to 8dkh many of the corals improved. So maybe try slowly dropping back down.

Just try and get all the parameters stable and balanced and the keep them there with either auto dosing or manual if you prefer but stability is the key. Corals don't like changes and they will tell you so. In your size tank maybe look at ABC+ as well for the foundation elements.

I think the temp is ok temporarily. Mine is around 27c here in the uk with no ill effects at the moment

Also look into Reef Energy for the corals as a daily food.

PS check out the Red Sea Reef Care Program. I've followed it from day one.
Sorry to be silly iam all new to this what is abc+

SPR

Red Sea's Foundation element mixed pack ABC+

Have a look on Red Sea's web page it tells you all about the different parts of the reef program

SPR

Red Sea A, B, C & D. Trace element supplements.

OOps, we must have posted at the same time :yup:

Stick to Triton mate! lol

D is part of Coral Colours.... Were talking about Foundation Elements (Ca Alk Mg) with the combined ABC+ here.

And Steve, Coral Colours is another part of the Reef Care Program to make your head hurt a bit more!

Steve1310

Stick to Triton mate! lol

D is part of Coral Colours.... Were talking about Foundation Elements (Ca Alk Mg) with the combined ABC+ here.

And Steve, Coral Colours is another part of the Reef Care Program to make your head hurt a bit more!
Thanks to everyone it's help a bit I got told I don't really have to test for MG as I don't have many corals how true is that

SPR

So, Red Sea Foundation ABC+......the + is Red Sea Colours A+B ?
The ABC+ does also contain some of the coral colours so if you dose ABC+ you only need to also add coral colours C & D as the ABC+ (now renamed Skeletal Elements) also contains coral colours A & B.

On the Mg its up to you whether you test for it, but it is one of the 3 major foundation elements and linked with the interaction between calcium and alkalinity so i would say yes you should test for it. The test kits are every sensitive by the way.

In my own tank, with the water changes i never need to add Mg which is always on the high side at around 1380-1400ppm. I use the Red Sea standard salt now, although I used the Coral Pro previously.

Just remember with all of this, you are just a 'water keeper' and if you keep your water parameters at the correct levels, and maintain them there you should do good.

Nobbygas

Thanks to everyone it's help a bit I got told I don't really have to test for MG as I don't have many corals how true is that
Apparently, there is a relationship between Mag, Calc and Alk. If any of those two test ok, then it's a certainty that the third will also be ok. However, I would still test for all three.

Steve1310

Apparently, there is a relationship between Mag, Calc and Alk. If any of those two test ok, then it's a certainty that the third will also be ok. However, I would still test for all three.
Ok thanks got to test tonight so I will test for everything

SPR

Charterhouse or Complete Aquatics - both do DPD timed delivery

I also use Aquadabra on ebay a lot and that's Royal Mail

Steve1310

Charterhouse or Complete Aquatics - both do DPD timed delivery

I also use Aquadabra on ebay a lot and that's Royal Mail
Thanks have a look later when kids in bed.
I took advice and got red sea a+b and started feeding them but what's the best time to feed them,I tend to feed them at 12 pm UK time with the fish

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Assuming you mean Reef Energy A & B, I don't think it matters as long as it's in the day time. I feed the Reef Energy A and B around 1-2pm like you just after the fishes. My 'tank sunrise' is around 11.30am so by 1-2 it's full 'sun' and everything's awake and hungry!

Remember to switch the skimmer off for 30-60 minutes after adding the reef energy.

Steve1310

Assuming you mean Reef Energy A & B, I don't think it matters as long as it's in the day time. I feed the Reef Energy A and B around 1-2pm like you just after the fishes. My 'tank sunrise' is around 11.30am so by 1-2 it's full 'sun' and everything's awake and hungry!

Remember to switch the skimmer off for 30-60 minutes after adding the reef energy.
Cool thanks for that didn't know about the skimmer thing but will do it from now on thanks