New led light experment Reeftorch 100 watt single chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys trying a different type of led a single chip type. it is 20k 1200 lums 100 watt. par should be 300 at 24" edistar chip. trying it out as different option to all the multiple led units.I really like the way Mh looks like and i hope this light will give me the same look and intensity.it's supper bright.i'll post pics on tank when i get it on. but in mean time here are some pics of unit, just got it 2 day. hope it grows some corals. like the way it looks kinda cool.
DSCF4092_zps5a0936e7.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF4093_zpsf8f2b0d5.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF4094_zps3473f120.jpg
[/IMG]

Ok got the light on the tank LOOK'S amazing. shimmer is even better than MH. better color and even brighter. here are some pics not sure if you can tell or not.oh all the corls are close lights have been off for 30 or 40 mins
DSCF4097_zpsca3d77df.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF4098_zps93d8931b.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF4101_zpsb36513d1.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF4102_zps2290de38.jpg
[/IMG]

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
That looks nice. I would love to see weekly shots of this over the next month or two to see how the coral react to the new lighting.

You got it Jared. i will run it for 4 hours a day and slowly increase the time slowly so as not 2 burn every one up. and i'll post pics of the coral hope they grow nice under the light. we will see

PIMPALA

I take it you're not running them anymore, may I ask why?

Because 1 watt LEDs dont penetrate the water. The only way I could get anything to grow at all, was to add 330 watts of VHO. and by "grow at all" I mean stay alive.

Lumens do NOT = PAR.

PIMPALA

They were on my 155 bowfront. Hyped it up at first because it seemed super awesome. didnt bash them really, but its all in my thread.

Because 1 watt LEDs dont penetrate the water. The only way I could get anything to grow at all, was to add 330 watts of VHO. and by "grow at all" I mean stay alive.

Lumens do NOT = PAR.
oh ok. this unit is a single 100 watt and he said par would be between 275 to 300 at 24" do you think thats wright? or is he blow smoke?

PIMPALA

oh ok. this unit is a single 100 watt and he said par would be between 275 to 300 at 24" do you think thats wright? or is he blow smoke?

its the same unit hes been selling for about a year and a half. he lives 2 miles from me. custom built my 5 LED unit for my tank. its the same bulb.

PAR on my tank... well, it was 24" deep, with a 3" sand bed. lights were 6" from the water, so probably around 27" from light to sand. I was getting around 50 PAR on the sand. directly under the light. much much less off to the sides. and I had 5 of them on a 6' tank.

Ive known several locals to run them in the past. nobody still does except Bill (the guy who makes them). Sorry man, I hate to burst that "I just got new stuff" bubble, but get a PAR meter. Unless that new flat lens design somehow focuses that chip, and more than doubles the PAR, you probably wont have much luck with it either. For your sake, I really hope it does work. Personally, I'm back to MH/VHO combo (about to add some royal blue LEDs for florescence) and I couldnt be happier.

now... somehow Bill's tanks at his house have been running them for a long time, and everything is still alive. But nobody else has had his long term luck. Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.