New DIY Canopy

DuhJeepster

I finally finished this thing. I made it in an apartment. Those that know me know I am not a woodworker and couldn't make a square box if my life depended on it. With that said, I couldn't afford the $150+ it would cost to get one built with fancy mitred corners and edges, and a hinged front. So, I attempted it myself . . . with help. The design went through a myriad of changes, but now that it's complete I'm happy with it. The whole thing has been primered about a gazillion times, inside has 3 coats of glossy white, and the outside has 3 coats of glossy black. I have yet to mount my reflector, new lights and ballast, but once I do I will post a pic. I'm going with 2 x 96w and 2 x 55w 10k PCs, and 1 x 55w actinic PC (the actinic will be on it's own timer). I was thinking of going the MH route, but the cost is still too steep for me right now. All told I will have 350+ watts on a 55g. The only things new I had to buy were a dual 96w ballast and 2 - 96w bulbs, 1 - 55w actinic bulb, and the reflector. I could always upgrade to MH later on if I want. I like to keep my options open.

Hope you guys like! And please be gentle.

:p

Maxx

Hey DJ,
Very Cool!! Two thumbs up to the Woodworking Challenged, (I'm a card carrying member of the group).
It didnt stop me from making my new canopy and stand.....I just havent posted up pics yet....Waiting just lil bit longer and then I'll subject myself to harsh online web critics....
But I like yours...
Nick

DuhJeepster

Yea me too. All we saw was rain. Friends to the south though . . . ugh. I work for FL Dept. of Health and volunteered to go down to help with cleanup and recovery efforts. I'm going just not sure when.

mps9506

we got lots of rain from it to. I parked my car in the wrong spot and got my crapet and seats soaked with water. I have a very stinky car now. No serious damage though.

DuhJeepster

Thank you! New pics soon to follow. Added the reflector, lights and ballasts (in the stand). One more light I need to get though - the actinic and then it will be done.