new beginning

Janhhattingh

HI Guys

i have just started a 1200L reef tank its been runnig for 4 weeks now and it seems to be doing just fine (I HOPE)

I have for a startup cleaning crew 2 yellow tip hermits 4 turbo snails (added 1st of May)

I really love it as it is already

one question though? i have very tiny little green plants growing on the live rock is this good or bad?

FishTaleZ

Hi Janhhattingh. Most likely an algae bloom which happens to new tanks. Check out the forum for new SW aquariums and I'm sure you will get expert advice here. Post all your parameters so you can receive better advice.

Welcome to RS!

Janhhattingh

HI FishTalez

Thanks i will check it out
parameters = ammonia - 0 nitrites - 0 phosphates- 0 salinity 1.025 temp 26,4C

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

If you can post pics, we can help id :)

a wild guess... if not common new tank hair algae

annulata_tb.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome! That's a pretty sizable tank, would love to see some pics!

Glenn's ID above on the plants is what i was going to say......they are harmless and go away but reappear every now and then. The are clacerous so the only problem they cause is they use a little calcium every now and then.

Checkout Reef Cleaners| Clean up Crews and Macroalgae for some more CUC members.....you'll need them soon!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and :welcomera Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!
Lots of step by step :help: help here when you start a tank thread, hope you will :D
Your tank sounds AWESOME....look forward to pictures :D
BEST WISHES :biker

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! I'm guessing you meant 120L with that small clean up crew or you're starting low and building up. :) Looking forward to following along on your journey.

Janhhattingh

Hi all thanks for the welcome really nice to see a couple of friendly people

whippetguy no bud its 1200 litres of true blue sea water my friend its massive and i enjoy every second of it

i will send you some pics if my cam can take such closeup photos of the green plants

I have also noticed that on some of the live rocks the diatoms are getting alot less but on some not so much and on the live sand its like its out of control!!!!

any suggestions on getting rid of it?

I will try and upload more pics in my album as soon as i figure out how to get them smaller so that they upload

Janhhattingh

OOOooo yes one more thing

I have added a Mushroom coral very tiny one to see how it goes 25th May its doing well i see

its green with blue spots on it, once i added it to the tank after the whole acclimation process it opend up all the way and still in the same position

the color on it is getting a little brighter especially the blue spots

Janhhattingh

greenplants_zps22aee1fe.png
[/URL][/IMG]

HI Guys above is the tiny green plants i have been telling you about

Any idea what they are and if they are good or bad?