New 48" T5 Lighting, opinions.

Jeremy0322

Well its about 6-7 INCHES TALL.

Thats too tall for what I need, there is probably less than 5 inches in the canopy I think. I guess I could hang it from the ceiling. haha I have had 2 of the Current USA PC fixtures and those are both tall units too, its the arch that makes them that way, and I have never been a huge fan of the legs, so if I were to get a new one it would have to hang from the ceiling or be mounted in the canopy, meaning I would have to buy the unit and then retro it into the canopy.

And thank you for the help :thumbup:. From the name I have a feeling it may be part of your job, but you are still very helpful :lol:

BigJay

Just take the legs off the nova pro and mount it to the canopy. It has slots in the top already for that or a hanging kit. Total depth with out the legs is 4.5 inchs. You should have no problem.
One of the reasons for the nova pro's height is the ballasts are inside the unit and its designed to get lots of airflow over the bulbs and ballasts. Theres a good deal of space between the bulbs in the splash guard too for this very reason. But honestly thats what makes it such a well made fixture for HO T5's.

Jeremy0322

That makes sense, I will have to measure the canopy and get the exact dimensions I have to work with, I have been somewhat lazy up until this point..haha. I was also talking with ryan last night and this link came up in conversation!

Catalina Aquarium

Seems like a good fixture to me, so there is another option..haha

BigJay

Ryan's a good cat so I don't think he'd steer you wrong. Lighting is a huge descision and one that shouldn't be rushed. Always makes me happy to see people doing their homework. Best of luck and if you have any more questions that maybe I can help with feel free to PM me.

Jeremy0322

Ryan's a good cat so I don't think he'd steer you wrong. Lighting is a huge descision and one that shouldn't be rushed. Always makes me happy to see people doing their homework. Best of luck and if you have any more questions that maybe I can help with feel free to PM me.

Thanks Jay, I will definitely keep you in mind. This is one of the areas that im still not to great with.

Jeremy0322

michael_cb_125

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

I have used these retro kits before. They are very easy to operate. And the Icecap Ballasts are some of the best out there. Plus the reflectors are amazing. I used the 4X24w VHO T5 retro for Megans old tank. VERY BRIGHT.

You can get the fixture posted above which is using two Universal AccuStart Triad electronic ballasts.

Or you can go with this retro, which uses a 660 to overdrive the bulbs. And as such you have a VHO T5.
:http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...y_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

~Michael

Jeremy0322

I actually just got a hit back on a Catalina brand T5 lighting syste, (2)10k, (2) acnitic bulbs with 8 led lights for night time viewing. We are pm-ing back and forth for pricing, ill keep everyone updated.

Jeremy0322

Catalina Aquarium

Its this system, with the moonlights, bulbs are 3 months old. 170 shipped, is it a good deal? I know they are selling it on the site for 170, but that is before shipping and doesnt have the moonlights. It isnt as much light as I would have liked to get, but at the same time its cheap, I can still run some of the PC's with it, and if I wanted to upgrade later it would not be that difficult.

Jeremy0322

New deal...check this out??

I have the whole 48" T5 retro with ICECAP660 ballast and slr reflectors and endcaps and standoff with a lot of bulbs:

ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
Aquascience 15K Dual
UVL Super Actinic

These bulbs has been used with the kit for approximately 6 months and are still in great shape.

(1) ATI Blue Plus
(2) Aquascience Actinic Plus (22000k) (just like the ATI Blue Plus)
(2) Aquascience 15K Special (just like the dual listed above)
(1) Korrallen Zucht Fiji Purple
(2) UVL Super Actinic
(1) GE 6500k
-and some SLIMPAQ Actinic...

These bulbs are barely used.. I bought these to play with the color combinations...

All of that for 285 shipped. Good?

Curgan

IMHO if you have a hood that you want to use go for the icecap 660 retro fit kit... that will give you ALOT of light... if you want a all inclusive fixture the Nova extreme pro is awesome... just my 2 cents

Jeremy0322

IMHO if you have a hood that you want to use go for the icecap 660 retro fit kit... that will give you ALOT of light... if you want a all inclusive fixture the Nova extreme pro is awesome... just my 2 cents

I have a canopy, I am looking for a retro kit anyways. The 660 overdrives the bulbs, right. Meaning that the 4x54 is the equivalent of a 4x80.

Curgan

Correct.. the icecap 660 ballast will over drive HO T5 bulbs to about 80 watts per bulb... Mix that with good individual reflectors and you have some Rocking Light... The only down side i have heard of to that is the bulb life shortens some due to the overdriving. do you have a fan or two in the canopy to keep the bulbs cool?

Jeremy0322

Correct.. the icecap 660 ballast will over drive HO T5 bulbs to about 80 watts per bulb... Mix that with good individual reflectors and you have some Rocking Light... The only down side i have heard of to that is the bulb life shortens some due to the overdriving. do you have a fan or two in the canopy to keep the bulbs cool?

I will be installing fans in the canopy one way or the other. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was dealing with before I put fans in. I will be running them along the top and bottom of the bulbs, probably 2 or 3 fans, and then have one or two on the other side to suck the hot air out of the canopy. That, coupled with the well vented canopy, and I should have no problem with them.

Curgan

I will be installing fans in the canopy one way or the other. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was dealing with before I put fans in. I will be running them along the top and bottom of the bulbs, probably 2 or 3 fans, and then have one or two on the other side to suck the hot air out of the canopy. That, coupled with the well vented canopy, and I should have no problem with them.

Sounds like your getting exactly what i want! good luck with your purchase and post some pics once you get it all set up... id love to see how it turns out for you...