New 48" T5 Lighting, opinions.

michael_cb_125

What do you need? :)

I think that that fixture paired with the right combo of bulbs would be very nice. It will not have the par of some of the very high end fixtures, but will indeed be very bright. I would really look into it.

~Michael

Jeremy0322

What do you need? :)

I think that that fixture paired with the right combo of bulbs would be very nice. It will not have the par of some of the very high end fixtures, but will indeed be very bright. I would really look into it.

~Michael

I wont be wanting to keep SPS at the bottom of the tank, but I would like to keep my options fairly open.

ZAPCOnj

It has a 5year warranty on the Ballast Only.
Do you know who makes the Ballast?
Who manufactures the fixture?

Sorry to question it, but I am VERY WEARY of buying items like this off of Ebay.

I think for 80 more dollars you can have a Current USA Nova Extreme Pro.

~Michael

both fixtures in that post are manufactured by Catalina Aquarium In Sacramento CA.

the ballasts are made by Advance

as far as the warrantee goes. all of their fixtures come with a 5 year warrantee on both the hood and the ballasts. I'm not sure how the warrantee works on the retro fit kits but i would imagine it works in a similar fashion, i can find out if needed. the bulbs are not covered.

note: the full lighting fixture is the Old model and looks to be a clearance item by one of their dealers (it's cheaper than the CA website).

I just got one of the 48" catalina 4 bulb t5 lights for the GF's Puffer tank. I'll post pics over the weekend and let you know how they work out!

BigJay

I'd expect to see better results from the 6 x 54 then the 8 x 54. Or even maybe close the same.. so why pay for 2 more bulbs and electricity to run them. Again the nova extreme bulbs are waaaay to close together. The nova extreme pro,TEK or similar is really what I would be looking at. IMO T5 isn't about wattage numbers but effeciency. Getting more useable light with better coloration with less eletricity which also means less heat.

BigJay

I can't comment on the Catalina , cause I've never used them.. I think you said you liked them right Ryan?

ZAPCOnj

yeah. I have them over all my tanks with the exception of the 40. i have a catalina fixture with Coral dynamics bulbs.

the lights that i have had over my tanks have been working great with no problems. they are very well built and they are all about customer service. I had a fixture shipped to me with broken bulbs. they sent a replacement set.. i had 2 more break in transit so they sent two more. finally got all 4 and everything was good. they even called me a few days later to make sure things were ok.

the fans are quiet and the Moon lights are bright and adjustable.

I recommend them... and not only cuz they are made in the USA

BigJay

cuz they are made in the USA

I'm going to have to investigate them a little more. I'd love to know I'm buying things made in the USA ,especially right now. Even if some of the components are from overseas. You have a link to all their products?

Jeremy0322

I do like the Tek fixture alot, im just trying to find the best bang for the buck with the move and everything coming up.

Jeremy0322

Best bang for the buck would be the Nova Extreme Pro. JMHO

Yea, thats kind of what everyone else is saying too, that or the TEK...hmmmm. Know where I can get the best price on one? The only thing I worry about with that light is its a tall fixture, I dont have a whole lot of canopy space.

novanosis

Yea, thats kind of what everyone else is saying too, that or the TEK...hmmmm. Know where I can get the best price on one? The only thing I worry about with that light is its a tall fixture, I dont have a whole lot of canopy space.

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO Aquariuim Light Fixtures

Good luck finding it cheaper.

The Tek is not a bang for the buck. It is a great and well made fixture that everyone is recommending.

The reason Nova is great bang for the buck is because... It includes Legs, Splash Shield, and bulbs(bulbs are not that great and should be replaced).

novanosis

All Novas come with bulbs. It does not matter where you buy them from. Its part of the unit.

They have a number so give them a ring if you would like or e-mail them.