New 48" T5 Lighting, opinions.

BigJay

sounds like if there is one cord its most likely one ballast. 8 x 54 is 432 watts that would be a lot for one ballast. Icecaps 660 I think only goes to 430. Means they are probably being under driven. I am just speculating of course.

BigJay

interesting I went back and looked and it says it uses eletronic ballasts in its systems but never says it uses more then one for each light.

michael_cb_125

Ok, here are y thoughts on what you just said.

Why buy a new lighting fixture, only to drill holes and alter it immediately? One of the nice things about new (and hopefully better) equipment is that it (should) come with no issues, and make life easier and better.

I would not try altering the design, I would NOT try adding cables, etc.

Just look into a nice retrofit or a quality made T5 setup, and save yourself tons of grief.

~Michael

Jeremy0322

I also emailed him again and asked about the power cords. There are 4 switches for the lights themselves, but only one power cord, making it impossible to put on timers...

Maybe I dont really know how this stuff works, but if there are 4 on/off switches on the back of the light then how would it be only 1 ballast? All the switches do is decide if power is going to the ballast or now, right? If thats the case there has to be atleast 4 ballasts.

BigJay

nope the switches can be after the ballasts.The power cord goes to the ballast then the individual wires go to 2 bulbs each and the power switch is inline there as an interrupt. 4 switches just one ballast.

Jeremy0322

Ok, here are y thoughts on what you just said.

Why buy a new lighting fixture, only to drill holes and alter it immediately? One of the nice things about new (and hopefully better) equipment is that it (should) come with no issues, and make life easier and better.

I would not try altering the design, I would NOT try adding cables, etc.

Just look into a nice retrofit or a quality made T5 setup, and save yourself tons of grief.

~Michael

I completely understand that, I am just trying to get the best deal that I can, I dont have a whole ton of money to be spending with the big move to NC coming up. If I can get a 300 dollar light and drill a few holes in it that is a much better alternative to me than spending 500-600 on a setup. Is there anything around that would do the same thing for a similar cost?

BigJay

honestly I dunno. Lighting isn't cheap. My personal opinion right now is I am liking retrofits alot! if you shop around and maybe not even at aquarium stores you can get a good deal on reflectors... just add water proof end caps and stand offs and a good icecap or comparable ballast and I'd say you'd probably be around 300-400. Since the bulbs that came with this fixture are most likely garbage anyway your not that far off with a much better product.

Jeremy0322

honestly I dunno. Lighting isn't cheap. My personal opinion right now is I am liking retrofits alot! if you shop around and maybe not even at aquarium stores you can get a good deal on reflectors... just add water proof end caps and stand offs and a good icecap or comparable ballast and I'd say you'd probably be around 300-400. Since the bulbs that came with this fixture are most likely garbage anyway your not that far off with a much better product.

I dont shop at LFS's really, everything is online for me.

michael_cb_125

Honestly, I would just save up and wait it out. In the long run you will be better for it. Get a good quality fixture and not have to worry about it :)

Where in NC are you moving to?

~Michael

BigJay

I really am not a fan of the nova extreme. If you look at the bulb spacing its no better then a PC fixture.
The nova extreme pro is awesome though.

Jeremy0322

Honestly, I would just save up and wait it out. In the long run you will be better for it. Get a good quality fixture and not have to worry about it :)

Where in NC are you moving to?

~Michael

Wilmington, NC. Going to college there next semester if everything goes as planned.

Jeremy0322

The nova extreme looks good...I dont really know what im going to do. I will wait and see what this guy replies with to that email and go from there I suppose. I have a little bit of time, there is no big rush. I just dont want to buy new stuff for the PC setup in the canopy now if im getting a new light soon, but at the same time I will need lights in a few weeks...haha

I really liked the way this light looked, but its probably a little more than I can spend right now..

48 inch 8x54W Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture

michael_cb_125

Thant is a pretty nice fixture. i have not personally used one, but I have heard many good reviews.

I just got back from Wilmington. Went to the coast over the weekend to do some fishing. My girlfriend has a house in Kure Beach, which is just a few mile from Wilmington.
We go there almost every weekend during the summer. :)

~Michael

Jeremy0322

I cant wait! And I was looking at the fixture on eBay again just to see if there were any other questions I had, and there would be no need to drill it, both sides already have slits in them for venting, just point a cheap computer cooling fan in one end and then have one on the other pulling air out and the heating problem is fixed.

I do like the fixture I listed though, ALOT. The only issue with that one is I would instantly have to buy new bulbs, where as with the cheaper one that comes with bubs those would work for a while. The only other thing that really draws me to the cheaper fixture is the 2 year warranty, makes me think they arent completely full of crap...lol. I am going to ask what it covers exactly though.

michael_cb_125

It has a 5year warranty on the Ballast Only.
Do you know who makes the Ballast?
Who manufactures the fixture?

Sorry to question it, but I am VERY WEARY of buying items like this off of Ebay.

I think for 80 more dollars you can have a Current USA Nova Extreme Pro.

~Michael

Jeremy0322

It has a 5year warranty on the Ballast Only.
Do you know who makes the Ballast?
Who manufactures the fixture?

Sorry to question it, but I am VERY WEARY of buying items like this off of Ebay.

I think for 80 more dollars you can have a Current USA Nova Extreme Pro.

~Michael

I just PM'd someone about that exact fixture on a different forum, its an 8 bulb Current USA Pro T5 fixture, ill let you know how that goes.