Nemo tank

nd200

So I was wondering about a Nemo tank. How many fish from the movie would fit in a 40 gallon reef tank for a couple months max of 4 till get a 220. (incase you haven't seen it there is a orange clown blue tang yellow tang cleaner shrimp, sea star, moorish idol, and royal gramma and a porcupine puffer. and a magnificent anemone. I have a 60 gallon skimmer, lights mentioned above, use the red sea coral pro salt, 110 gallon fluval aqua clear filter and a 40 gallon sum with a refugee, carbon and phosphate reactor. and bio balls and filter socks and two hydro koralia 800 GPH power heads. Im asuming that the puffer and mooorish idol are out of the question. I want either the combination of the most amount of fish or to have a baby blue tang if possible

ajkdark

Firstly, it's not "Nemo", they are Percula clownfish. The tank bred version is the Ocellaris clownfish. In a 40 gallon tank, one pair would be sufficient. As for the Ritteri anemone, they grow very large and need expert care and stable water parameters. Excellent lighting.

A royal gramma would also be ok in that size aquarium.

You mentioned elsewhere, that the 220 gallon aquarium is an outdoor pond. Is this correct?

Baby blue tangs grow very big.

Bio Balls are not recommended. As they are nitrate producers.

What are your water parameters?

Cheers

blazend

I have seen the Movie and i understand what you are shooting for but it is very unrealistic in a 40 gallon. I would only put the clown fish, royal gamma, and cleaner shrimp in a 40.

The Idol and tangs need a 100+ gallon tank. and the star fish all need mature tanks that have been up and running for awhile.

nd200

So my parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate 420 calcium 8.2 ph 7 kh and I don't have access to a magnesium test kit saddly. So instead of the bio balls should I extend my the refugium or what would be good there. The tank is done cycling. But there is still some fluctuation in the water with alkalinity. My delicate sand anemone and clown fish that I have are doing absolutely fine. I also have 35lbs of live rock. @blazend

blazend

You are getting very close to the point to add a fish. Maybe start with a clown (nemo) and get that natural ammonia rolling you will want to add each fish 1 at a time and give them some time to settle. Maybe wait another month and add the next one.

I would think it would be ok to add nemo and jacques the cleaner shrimp right away.

My bad just re read the part where u have a clown and anemone. Maybe you could add shrimp. But definitely let it age a bit before moving forward. Patience is key in this hobby.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I wouldn't recommend a Moorish idol, but instead, get a heniochus. They look remarkably similar to a moorish idol to the novice (or kid's) eye. They also do well in sub 100gal aquariums, more hardy, and eat way better.

Jeff

nd200

I wouldn't recommend a Moorish idol, but instead, get a heniochus. They look remarkably similar to a moorish idol to the novice (or kid's) eye. They also do well in sub 100gal aquariums, more hardy, and eat way better.

Jeff
First, thanks for the reply! second how many fish do you think i could put in?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I always think of this question... ^ like how many dogs can you put in a backyard

physically in an average size backyard, say 100' x 100' you could fit maybe a 100, but a couple of dogs would be more reasonable so they could run & play.

so you will get a lots of different answers... here one, in a 40 gallon, 4 or 5 fish under 5 inches grown size would be quite a bit, but with good maintenance & husbandry possible

stress leads to sickness & disease (like ich) space to play & being well fed leads to less stress...

some of my thoughts ^ hope something here helps :dance:

nd200

I always think of this question... ^ like how many dogs can you put in a backyard

physically in an average size backyard, say 100' x 100' you could fit maybe a 100, but a couple of dogs would be more reasonable so they could run & play.

so you will get a lots of different answers... here one, in a 40 gallon, 4 or 5 fish under 5 inches grown size would be quite a bit, but with good maintenance & husbandry possible

stress leads to sickness & disease (like ich) space to play & being well fed leads to less stress...

some of my thoughts ^ hope something here helps :dance:
Thanks! I like the way you put that! It makes it simple. You want enough fish to look good but not too many that they would pollute the tank and be cramped up. That helped a LOT!