Need your help with a project

ScottT1980

I posted a couple more in NC, will add more later...

With all the NC members, we should be able to review the entire state...

Gina

RS STAFF
I just added another one for Maryland. I haven't been there in about 6 months so, before I post a review I would like to go back and visit the store again.

ReefLady

Staff member
You guys have all been visited by the heaping Karma fairy. :)

Please remember that you have to add the store first by clicking "upload product." There, you add all the pertinent information (just name and location will do). AFTER you have submitted the store, then you can go in and add a review. This way the original review isn't part of the store listing.

Correct:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=244&sort=7&cat=50&page=1

Incorrect:
(Sorry Max)

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=265&sort=7&cat=58&page=1

Hope that didn't make it seem complicated- it's really not!

Also, I have just added over 20 links to North Carolina LFS (Thanks Fonchy!) so you can just go review them if you're in the area.

If you have a link to a list of LFS in your state/area, I'll be glad to add all the stores myself.
Thanks!

T

ReefLady

Staff member
Nick, so kind of you to purposely do it wrong so that I could make an example of you. Truly a noble man.

;)

DaveK

I have extended the LFS store data base to include a store in New Jersey. Considering the number of stores there, this is a small start.

This should be a great resource for us and the stores once it gets going. I feel a lot of LFS stores do not realise how far us reef keepers are willing to go to obtain quality livestock. Even good stores that are near to me, say under 20 miles, seldom list themselves in the telephone directory outside their own local yellow pages. Great stores could exist in the next county and I'd never hear of them.

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks DavK, I'm glad you see the potential value of this.

About witholding negative opinions... I say, as long as you keep it truthful and objective, we should have HONEST opinions of every LFS possible.

Travis

Maxx

uhh........

Yeah, That was the idea!

Doh!

110brick_wall.gif

Nick

DaveK

I've been looking at some of the reviews in some states that I might be visiting in the next few months. I noticed that a lot of reviews rated the LFS with a 10. This got me thinking, "What makes a LFS worthy a 10?"

To me, rateing a store with a 10 means that in many major areas the store is in a class by itself. It's a rateing that shouldn't be given lightly. I personally feel that the number of stores that would rate a 10 would be less than 1 or 2%. Over the years, now about 40, I must have seen a couple of hunderd LFS. Most were good, some were excellent, but only a few were outstanding, even by the standards of the time. I feel a store that gets a 10 should be one that I would go out of my way to visit, one of those "you have got to see it" kind of places.

Here is what I believe makes an outstanding store worthy of a 10.

The livestock must be of top quality. It also should be extensive in several areas, but need not include all areas. If you visit the store, you should expect to see livestock that you seldom see, not necessarly rare and expensive, but beyond your everyday "run of the mill" livestock.

The equipment offerend should be able to support any of the livestock the store sells and span the range from low end to high end. Obviously no store can carry everything or have a complete inventory in stock, but a person, be they a biginner or advanced, should be able to go into the store and purchase the aquarium system needed to correctly maintain any of the livestock the store sells. There should also be a selection of books, and it's not a bad idea to recommend them to new people.

The entire staff of people working in the store, not just the owner, manager, or "salt water guy" should be knowlegable about the livestock and equipment they sell. Again, no one can know it all, but they should know enough about it to advise you on it. The advice that is given should be correct and complete. If something isn't going to work for you, they should tell you. If livestock you plan on buying has some unusual reguirements, they should warn you about them. The staff should also be polite, and when necessary be willing to explain the same thing over and over again.

The store itself should be well lighted, clean, and look like the sort of place you'd want to visit. It never hurts to have a tank or two set up to demonstrate what can be done.

I don't think there are very many stores that can live up to all this. It's very difficult. Sometimes just by being good in one area makes it harder to be good in another. For example, the store has to be large to carry a large amount of livestock and equipment. Yet to do that, they need more people, and may be forced to have people not as knowlegable as they should be.

One last thought on some of the reviews I have read. A description like "great livestock" or "great prices", or "has everything" doesn't tell anyone else much about the store. If possible, I belive it would help to qualify and/or quantify. For example, "extesive selection of SW fish and live coral" or "prices somewhat below average" tells everone a lot more.

ReefLady

Staff member
Tarasco's been busy! Thanks!!! YGK! :)

DaveK, I think you make some good points. Reality is, any time a large group of people review things they are each going to grade on a slightly different scale. It's the same way at Amazon or Epinions... the important thing is, we can tell a lot from the description and rating together. Just as the reviews at Amazon and ePinions are still extremely helpful, I believe they will be here as well.

T

forestal

Dave, very good points i think on rating...

I rated the 2 of the 5 i added i have been to...

I have a tendency to give people excellent ratings for all of your reasons, if there is anything bad...they get a bad rating...i don't do well in the in between...i will try to balance it oiut a bit better :D

Cougra

Well, I have started adding some stores for Ontario! I think I have 10 on the list so far with a couple reviews. I have many more that I can/will add to the list but not going to burn myself out!

What about listing Online only stores as well? Will this be acceptable as these are few in between here in Canada and a lot of dedicated reefers use them here. Often these online retailers work out of their basements as well for local customers.

Is this listing for stores that sell some saltwater stuff or can stores that have only freshwater selections be added as well?

Gina

RS STAFF
Michelle,
Not sure what Travis will say about on-line only stores. But, I would think the listings could be for Salt and Fresh water stores.

I would venture to guess that on-line only stores would be fine but, I'll let Travis answer that one.

DaveK

forestal said:
Dave, very good points i think on rating...

I rated the 2 of the 5 i added i have been to...

I have a tendency to give people excellent ratings for all of your reasons, if there is anything bad...they get a bad rating...i don't do well in the in between...i will try to balance it oiut a bit better :D

Hi Dan,

You have a point, and that why, as Travis pointed out, that any rateing system is a bit subjective. My opinion is that there needs to be a way to distinguish between a very good solid store, whith no serious problems and a store that is in the class of "You just got to see this place if you are ever within 200 miles of it".

Everyone is different. This is my own method or rateing. Is should not necessarly be your or any one elses.

A good solid store with good selection and no serious problems would rate a 7.

A store that is above average in one or two areas would rate an 8.

A store that is above average in many areas would rate a 9.

The few stores in the "You just got too see this place" would rate a 10.

Going the other way, lower rateings for various problem areas. I don't think I'd even bother to rate a store that I felt was below a 5. For the real dogs, ones that should be avoided, I'd enter a listing, and then in the description enter something like "I choose not to rate this store". That says much more that any bad review anyone could give.