Need your help with a project

ReefLady

Staff member
One of those things I always thought would be a useful resource on the Internet, but doesn't seem to exist (at least in a good, current format) is a database of LFS and reviews of them.

As a new hobbyist, it's easy to get tangled up in a bad place, and tough to know where the good places are.

By the same token, new LFS are popping up all the time and even those of us who have been in the hobby for a while may not know of a great new store that has opened up.

My hope is that this project can become an online resource to find just that information. We already have the software running, the same thing we use for product reviews.

I have set up a LFS database >>HERE<< by State. That's about as far as I can take it. If this is going to be successful, it will be because of everyone's participation.

So, I'm asking for your help in adding your Local Fish Stores to the database or reviewing ones that already exist.

It's a very simple process that should take just a couple of minutes. Those of you who have added a product for review will be familiar with the process.

1. Go to the link above, or http://www.reefsanctuary.com/reviewpost/index.php?cat=43

2. Click on your state

3. Click "upload products" and fill in the information.

NOTE: Please add the LFS name in the field called "Product manufacturer" and add the city and state in the filed below it, called "Model Name."

If you don't have the address and phone number handy, don't sweat it. The most important thing is that the information is there. If you have a chance to go back and add it later, it'd be very nice, but not required.

4. After you've uploaded the product, go to it and click on "post a review" by the name.

Then you can add your review and your place in LFS Database history is secure, and your efforts will be appreciated by me and an unknown number of hobbyists who we can help find their way to the "best store in town."

The steps above are pretty detailed, don't be intimidated it's really easy!

Thanks in advance for helping us make a feature that will be incredibly useful to the reefing community at large.

Travis

AJinNY

Outstanding thread, Travis. GREAT idea!!!

I have a few places in mind but I honestly have to think about it to make sure I give objective evaluations.

I hope everyone responds to this thread. It will prove to be an invaluable resource for ALL of us.

AJinNY

If theres a good response to this thread, you might find out there are a few hidden gems out there in Reno. :D

Craig Manoukian

I wish AJ. No hidden gems as all the other LFS have folded due to PetCo. and Petsmart.

Posted my LFS and review. Please critique and let me know how I can make the information better.

ReefLady

Staff member
Alright, six down! Hehe!

Craig, looks good to me, though you might want to fill in the pros/cons...

Thanks Craig and Doni!

T

ReefLady

Staff member
Many thanks and a bucket of Karma to Ranroc, Livingreef2004 and SaltySam!

:bigbounce:

46 more states to go!

RanRoc

I got one down. I'm afraid to write anything negative, just in case they (any of the LFS's that I frequent) see it and spit in the bag of my next purchase. :)
-RY