Need suggestions on how to keep nitrates low

halobaby

I just realized its my tap water that is giving too many nitrates 20ppm. I am on well water but phosphate and nitrate levels are both high. Can I just buy culligan water and use that as a ro filter system is not practical (live in an apartment building)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Not sure why using a RO-Di water hook up system would not be do-able in an apartment building. They are simple to hook-up and can be very portable. Not sure either how Culligan purifies their water. I know some drinking waters add minerals to "enhance the flavor". Yikes on 20ppm on your tap water tho :( that's not good!

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If you have the room/ability, build an algae Turf Scrubber, They will knock out nitrates in 30-45 days very easily. Cheap to build too. I built my hanging overflow fed scrubber for less than 40 bucks.

halobaby

sorry, the tank is 29 gal-my qt. i have to keep my fish in there till my bigger tank cycles. i have a filter-tetra whisper something or other and a cyclone protein skimmer in there as well as some live rock and a powerhead and heat stick and light. thats it-no sand or anything else. live rock is starting to grow stuff-this is a new tank as well but i'm trying not to let it cycle on me right now till the big tank is fish ready-probably another 4 weeks or so. anyways all the ro/di systems i found here are over $300 and seem like a real nightmare to set up. plus it's almost 2 hours to the nearest city/fish store so i'm trying to figure out an easier way. i HATE plumbing! absolutely hate it and i'm not interested in hooking up/redoing all the plumbing under my sink to put in an expensive filter just so i can use it once a week for 10 min. is there any other way? perhaps a tap filter that i can just hook up like i do my python vacuum? and if so where can i purchase one-local big chain pet store? plumbing warehouse?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
with a tank that size, your best bet is 20% water changes daily till the nitrates drop. If its a QT with Fish in it, you probably have ammonia in the tank too, so WC is your best friend.

DaveK

... anyways all the ro/di systems i found here are over $300 and seem like a real nightmare to set up. plus it's almost 2 hours to the nearest city/fish store so i'm trying to figure out an easier way. ...

The easy way is to get yourself an RO/DI unit the connects to your tap, and use that. It's easy to set up, and you'll have a good source of water. There really is no other good way to remove high nitrates and phosphates from your water. There is no "inexpensive" way to do this long term. Sure, you could buy water from your LFS or get distilled water from your local grocery store, but at a dollar or two a gallon, the cost mounts up fast, and you got to lug it home.

You should be able to find something that costs a lot less than $300.

DaveK

If you have the room/ability, build an algae Turf Scrubber, They will knock out nitrates in 30-45 days very easily. Cheap to build too. I built my hanging overflow fed scrubber for less than 40 bucks.

with a tank that size, your best bet is 20% water changes daily till the nitrates drop. If its a QT with Fish in it, you probably have ammonia in the tank too, so WC is your best friend.

While these are good ways to deal with nitrates and phosphates in a reef system. They are going to be of very limited value if your source water is high in nitrates and phosphates to start with. The op needs to get the water source cleaned up first.

Tigersref

Water quality is the single most important aspect of a good tank. Good water is a key factor in the long term success of a saltwater aquarium, especially one with delicate items such as corals. Over time, the use of "not so good" water will lead to the build up of bad stuff in your tank which may cause you to spend big bucks to remedy. Do yourself a favor and save yourself from headaches down the road.
Look into ways to make sure the water going into your tank is as clean as possible. If that means purchasing water or installing RO/DI, then do it. Trust me... i am an idiot when it comes to handyman work, but i was able to put in a RO/DI with no problems.

Last edited:

halobaby

Ok I could not find any ro/di systems. I asked lfs and they didn't know and sold me some instant ocean natural nitrate reducer and instant ocean marine conditioner. Has anyone used this stuff before and does it work? Also who/where do I buy ro filters?