Need help in IDing possible nudibranch

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'm no expert by any means but to be honest with you most nudi are safe enough. its those pesky little small ones that you cant trust.
the biggest problem with nudi is there survival rate is extremely low. when they die they tend to pollute the aquarium and wreak havoc water parameters.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Forum Runner

Frankie

RS STAFF
If you read that article you provided by Mood? He leads to the same thing.
Most of those articles weather old or not still stand in most of there findings. Sprung did a few also if i remember correctly.
What changes severely over time are the equipment articles. The new findings on skimmers i have been reading are quite intriguing.
The truth is on Nudi though is we cannot provide there proper diets. Thus why they tend to eat our corals and such ;)

Oxylebius

Frankie - see thats whats puzzling me - he has this "generic" look about him that I cant decide if hes just a blasted nudi or one of the elysia species. But if the elysia species eats algae I havent seen him eat any, unless the kind of algae he eats ISNT the brown/hair algae thats been growing in our tank. And he seems to like to get up on a perch and raise up like that as if he's sniffing out something. I can only figure he's smelling the coral (if thats possible) and trying to figure out where to get to it.

Yes, that is what it is doing - sea hares, sea slugs, flat worms and nudibranchs - all the species that have rhinophores are in essence sniffing chemicals in the water column. On the species in photo provided the rhinophores are the tall black tentacles at the front part of the body, these organs have special receptors to help them find food.

As for ID of this critter, I'd group it in with the sea slugs, not in the Nudibranchia Order b/c of its morphology. It doesn't have an aeolid nudi anatomy, which has a mantle that is extended into long finger-like projections called cerata. And for the dorid nudibranchs anatomy, the mantle is thick and extends over the foot, which it looks like this critter has, but the surface of the mantle may bear tubercles which vary in size, shape and number and are often a character used to identify nudibranchs and this critter doesn't have these and it doesn't have extended gills on the rump.

I also looked into sea hares, but again the anatomy doesn't match-up b/c they usually have a head bearing a pair of enrolled rhinophores, and large flattened, enrolled oral tentacles on each side of the mouth. This critter is missing the oral tentacles.

So, that leaves us with sea slug or flat worm. I'm leaning towards sea slug. All these species are very selective on what they eat, you may not have the prey items it is looking for in the tank, which means that it is possible that it will slowly starve to death. As an experiment you can add several different types of algae to a clip and see if it goes for it....

There are thousands of nudis, sea hares, slugs, etc. and little is known about many of them and less about their diets. From what we do know, they tend to have very specific diets, a particular species can spend its whole life on one coral head and eat from that one species of coral only. The ones that show up in our aquariums and cause havoc are the ones we tend to hear more about, many more end up dying when our live rocks cycle and we don't even know it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that their life cycle is very short and most won't live past a year, some live only three months... what becomes an issue is that they are hermaphroditic, so they can easily reproduce in our tanks. Again, we hear more about the little ones which eat our corals and tend to reproduce and cause havoc in our tanks.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Well written! It is nice to see someone who has done the research and worded themselves coherently.
I learned a lot, thanks.
Frank

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Oxylebius do you worry about him being toxic if /when he died?

I had to google hermaphroditic ;)

In biology, a hermaphrodite is an organism that has reproductive organs normally associated with both male and female sexes.[1]
Many taxonomic groups of animals (mostly invertebrates) do not have separate sexes[citation needed]. In these groups, hermaphroditism is a normal condition, enabling a form of sexual reproduction in which both partners can act as the "female" or "male". For example, the great majority of pulmonate snails, opisthobranch snails and slugs are hermaphrodites

Oxylebius

@ nanoreef, Glenn? Well, I'm not sure if this little guy will pollute the water when it dies b/c I'm not sure what type of species it is or what it eats, but it is entirely possible. If it was a nudi that eats corals and anemones then it definitely can pollute the water by releasing all the toxins that it had incorporated into itself from the nematocysts (stinging cells) of the corals and anemones. As I'm sure you are well aware, a dead turbo snail can easily pollute the water in smaller tanks and they only eat algae. Last night I did a few searches through the taxonomy list on the sea slug forum, but haven't been able to successfully narrow down what this slug is yet. Another thing to keep in mind is that new species are being identified and reclassified on a regular basis.

@ Frank, thanks. I find that I also learn new things on this forum whenever I log in and enjoy sharing my knowledge as well, thought I think I need to pay more attention to the language I use and try to use common language more ;)

I have always liked nudis and have tried to track them down and ID them while diving, I wish we know more about how to keep them in closed systems, they are gorgeous creatures.

Oxylebius

I found this just now and wanted to share it: Aquarium-Related Articles
Very informative and well articulated. As the article mentions, I also try to clarify the differences between nudibranchs and sea slugs, but have been known to be lazy from time to time and just group them all as nudibranchs. I hope that as we find more of these types of critters showing up in our tanks that we can at least try to characterize them better. Not every shell-less snail we see is a nudibranch.