nano customs hqi choices

Mugz

hi I was wondering if u guys could help me choose the best options and explain the differences in selections for nanocustoms flagship hqi mh setup.

nanocustoms

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a :bump: sure some members can offer some advise...

I have always run stock, but will be following along - looks very nice !
1218.gif

Mugz

u have the 130d that comes stock with mh. mine has cft5's... so I figure if im gonna upgrade... I might as well go all out.

also I wonder with their install deal if they return the origional equipment.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have read very good things about this company and thier lights & in our local reef club several members have used them for their BC. They are a bit pricey, but quality from all the post I have read.

on sidenote -the RSM 130 & RSM 130D have the same lights... when the 130D came out they developed new bulbs 20% more powerful, but the new bulbs put in a 130, are the same as the 130D now.

2x 55w 50/50 10,000k & Actinic T5 Power compact lamps
4x Blue LED Moonlights

Red Sea MAX 130D | Specification

Mugz

oh didn't know the lights were the same.
yeah nanocustoms is very pricey but due to the lid setup for the rsm, I don't have many options if I wanna keep the clean look... thanks for the link. I will check it out on break time.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome ! If you get one of nanocustoms lights, be sure to post some pics, would love to see it & follow along !

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Mugz - do you run a chiller? I think you'll need one with the HQI and enclosed hood. Not a lot of RSM owners have gone with the Nanocustoms mod, maybe due to price?

Mugz

yeah i've been doing alot of reading on the setup and am deeply considering the outer orbit setup like steviet suggested in the other thread... i'm comparing options now and looking for setups... just got this new netbook so dont have my links saved yet so gotta look around...

i know there is a 150w hqi and a 250w hqi setup for outter orbit... the diference is only $100 so i gottta see what the otehr differences might be and the pros and cons of the wattage...

also i'm not sure how i'm going to like an rsm 130 without a lid... i think it will look awkward at best... i will have to make some kind of custom rear lid for the back chambers too...and i don't like the extra evaporation...i guess i should get an r/o system anyway so water is easier/cheaper...

hmmmm...what to do what to do

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Current stopped making the Outer Orbit hoods a while ago, so if you order one I'd first be sure they have it in stock. If not available, Marineland makes a 24" HQI/T5 fixture that is similar and has a built in timer (the Outer Orbit hood has 4 cords, the Marineland only one cord due to the built in programmable timer).

Metal Halide Lighting: Marineland Marine Series Pro Lighting at Foster & Smith Aquatics

Just my opinion, but I think the 250 watt may be too much for many corals.

I think? you lose the RSM timer if you go with the Nanocustoms mod, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It probably says on their website.

Mugz

yes you do lose the timer...and you have to go a few days without a hood/lights while they install...and it's very hot...

why did current stop making these?
their 150w is $150 cheaper then the marineland version.
biggest differences i see between the 2 are that the marineland is 14,000k as opposed to current's 10,000k and the marineland has the timer.

$560 is a lot for a light, lol...let me see if i can find some free shipping or something somewhere so i can feel like i'm getting some kind of deal

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
From Nanocustoms:

"*Stock moonlights are no longer used. In addition, the built-in timers remain in the canopy but are disabled.* "

nanocustoms

I think you do have to go hoodless for a few days if you go Nanocustoms, but I heard they were pretty quick.

You'll have to ask Current USA why they dropped the Orbit. My understanding is that they were going to LED technology instead. I had heard that the Ecoxotic hoods and strips were really a new branch of Current USA. Yes - they were a good deal. I ran an Orbit Pro HQI/T5 for 3 years. The first thing I did when I got my Orbit was replace the 10k HQI with a 14k - it's just a simple bulb replacement. No timer on the Orbit - I had it on a timer strip, and then a controller. That 4 cords was a drawback.

I'm holding onto my Orbit should I decide to go back to HQI.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I really think some of my corals didn't appreciate 246 watts of light on them, although they were doing well. Based on some very successful SPS tanks with T5s only (such as the RSM 250), I decided to cut my electricity use a bit, plus running a 6xT5 fixture has dropped my tank temperature by at least 1 degree F, and I've cut evaporation by not having my cooling fans running as much (I don't think they've come on since I switched). The hardest part was trying to find an affordable 24 inch hood with 6 T5s. I've only been running it about 2-3 weeks, but so far the corals are fine. I have very few SPS left, as my Flame Angel ate most of them, so I saw no need at this time to be running an HQI.

dankent

Pretty much the same reason i too am now back to the stock lighting, I think the next for me will be an led mod to the stock lid.

I really think some of my corals didn't appreciate 246 watts of light on them, although they were doing well. Based on some very successful SPS tanks with T5s only (such as the RSM 250), I decided to cut my electricity use a bit, plus running a 6xT5 fixture has dropped my tank temperature by at least 1 degree F, and I've cut evaporation by not having my cooling fans running as much (I don't think they've come on since I switched). The hardest part was trying to find an affordable 24 inch hood with 6 T5s. I've only been running it about 2-3 weeks, but so far the corals are fine. I have very few SPS left, as my Flame Angel ate most of them, so I saw no need at this time to be running an HQI.

Mugz

ok... well you guys opened my eyes to some different views on lighting...and different options...ie: LED... and so my direction is turning toward LED for heat and monthly cost...i do also like this T5 lamp:

Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light Fixtures

it would probably look real nice coupled with a small LED strip for shimmer...and the cost of the pair would be around $350-400...this price is at the low end of the HQI MH setups which is good...and it doesn't create much heat, it doesn't use much electric, it offers potentially better coloration of coral as opposed to MH, and the LED strip would replicate the sought after shimmer of the MH... the only downside i see when compared to an MH would be that MH influences faster growth.

next i've been reading alot on these new LEDs and they seem extremely promising...albeit a pricey initial investment for the ideal systems... however i've found a "cheaper" option with great reviews here:

Marineland Gets Reef Capable with New LED Lamps - 3reef Forums

it states it is being released this october but i found then already for sale here (unless this isn't them...but it looks like them)

24-36 Inch Lighting System 33001 Aquarium Supplies - GregRobert

(EDIT: After some more searching it looks like this setup is actually a double bright standard which has been customized by another company and crambed with some extra lights to support coral... seems sketchy...maybe i should wait a month for Marineland to sell their official version)

however i don't see this item listed under products at marineland's site:

Our Products

here is another first look review and it looks good...but there seems to be some issues with the LED wattage and penetration abilities with deep and broad tanks...but i think that for an rsm 34g tank with dimensions of 24x18x15... this would be a perfect match.

Exclusive first unboxing of the Reef Capable LED fixture from Marineland

what do you guys think?

reeferman

ill jump in here as i actually own the marineland hqi w/t5s.it is as good of a light as money can buy.extremely well built.the fact that you have a timer that controls all lights[mh,t5s,leds]independantly and a 14k bulb means you dont have to spend anymore money on components after you buy the fixture.a good 14k bulb is gonna cost 75.00 and quality timers should cost at least 40-50.00.so theres your savings on buying a cheaper fixture spent on things the marineland already comes with.it is an awesome light and worth every penny.having said all that,i removed it off my rsm 130 for the same reasons as Terry.too much light[imo]for the tank.i think the 6xt5s that Terry is currently running seems like a perfect fit for the 130.the t5s in my rsm 250 really suprised me as far as theyre performance was concerned.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I looked at the Aquatic Life fixture also, and just thought it was borderline on being bright enough with only 4 T5s in a 24 inch fixture (3.3 watts per gallon on my 29 gallon DT section). I opted for a new Coralvue 24" 6xT5 fixture (5 watts/gallon on my 130) - T5s not included:

coralvue-led CV-T5LED246 Premium Aquatics

I hadn't seen the new Marineland fixture - looks interesting, but I don't know enough about LED technology to know if 21 watts of LED is enough on a 130 tank. The review sounds good though.

I came close to trying one of these, but just couldn't justify the cost. I see the price has really dropped:

Wave Point LED Lighting System, Lighting | PetSolutions

LED technology is changing so fast that I'm just not sure what's needed as far as wattage, etc. It seems like new LED fixtures are popping up quickly, and the prices are also starting to drop finally. I remember when the high dollar Solaris LED hoods first came out and were the rage, but people ended up disappointed with them, and the Solaris aren't even being sold anymore.

Mugz

yeah i found a couple similar to that as well...but like you said...the price is really pushing it... i think i might wait and see what happens with this new Marineland system when it finally comes out... that coralvue system looks real good too. i haven't seen that one before...the price is right also...and has the cool LED's included...hmmm... how do you like it? any negatives you can think of?