My Wife's the Greatest <3

jpsika08

Here is what a pin wheel impeller looks like

VX1357_50.jpg

this goes in the recirc pump and produces the bubbles.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Juan's got it pegged when it comes to skimmers. You could also throw out what kind of skimmers you're looking and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on here.

Hey,
I'm looking to spend about $250.00 max looking at Eshopps, Red Octopus, ATB, it's going in the sump but I'm confused by all the different ones out there.
Rick

tommyboynj

Hey,
I'm looking to spend about $250.00 max looking at Eshopps, Red Octopus, ATB, it's going in the sump but I'm confused by all the different ones out there.
Rick

Take a look at the precision marine skimmers. I'm running a redline 175 on my 75 gallon tank with sump. The build quality is great and it pulls some seriously nasty stuff out of the water.

jpsika08

Rick, what size is the tank? Sorry if it was on an earlier post.
And sump also, total water volume so we can look which skimmer will actually do the job.

Uslanja

"So last week my Wife took me to my favorite LFS and surprised me with a custom stand and tank she had them make for me."

Hi z nano reefer,
You are very lucky on two counts! First for having a wife who loves seeing her husband enjoy a hobby, and secondly, she has great taste. That is a fantastic tank and stand. I hope that you enjoy the journey of building your reef. Take lots of pics, so we can enjoy it with you!

Rick, what size is the tank? Sorry if it was on an earlier post.
And sump also, total water volume so we can look which skimmer will actually do the job.

Thanks thats great, the tanks a 90 gal. & the sump doesn't say buts its the Eshopp's RS-200 which is 30L x 12W x 16H
appreciate your help.
Rick

PIMPALA

Look at the ASM skimmers. ive owned both the G1X and the G3. after reading online, talking to LFS who have installed probably hundreds of them, and looking everywhere... thats what i ended up with, and i couldnt be happier! I think a G2 would be perfect for that 90 gallon. its rated at 200 gallons, and the G1X is rated at 150. the G1X for sure would be enough, and its right in your price range...but it never hurts to go a little overkill!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks thats great, the tanks a 90 gal. & the sump doesn't say buts its the Eshopp's RS-200 which is 30L x 12W x 16H
appreciate your help.
Rick

Oh u have the best searching now. Juan is on it. Nothing for me to add

,......im Matt n i support this message

jpsika08

Thanks for the vote of confidence Matt :)

Rick, Sump has a capacity of 25gals + the 90gals DT= 115 gals total volume water, if we reduce sand, rocks you get around 90 gals overall if not a little less.

It's always best to get a skimmer which has double the capacity of your water volume.
There are great brands out there, from proper experience I have used Reef Octopus (and lots of them) without any disappointment.

ASM as Jason stated above is also a great brand, try looking at one who has been around enough time so you can always have support or warranty, in case of Reef Octopus they have an almost change without asking policy.

Back to topic, if you were to look for an Internal Skimmer, I'm guessing due to the size of the sump, the skimmer you need to fit in there has to be size efficient, Reef Octopus has the Super Space Saver series, and this is the one I would recommend for having the best skimming efficiency for your system, which at the end, is double the size of your water volume.

Super Reef XP2000Space Saver | CoralVue

The footprint is 10.4" x 9.5" which I think will fit in your sump, and the optimum height operation is 5.75" which I think the water level in the sump will operate (This depends on the baffles height).
It would be great to know how much space you have in the skimmer chamber in the sump so you can be sure this type of skimmer would fit.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Matt :)

Rick, Sump has a capacity of 25gals + the 90gals DT= 115 gals total volume water, if we reduce sand, rocks you get around 90 gals overall if not a little less.

It's always best to get a skimmer which has double the capacity of your water volume.
There are great brands out there, from proper experience I have used Reef Octopus (and lots of them) without any disappointment.

ASM as Jason stated above is also a great brand, try looking at one who has been around enough time so you can always have support or warranty, in case of Reef Octopus they have an almost change without asking policy.

Back to topic, if you were to look for an Internal Skimmer, I'm guessing due to the size of the sump, the skimmer you need to fit in there has to be size efficient, Reef Octopus has the Super Space Saver series, and this is the one I would recommend for having the best skimming efficiency for your system, which at the end, is double the size of your water volume.

Super Reef XP2000Space Saver | CoralVue

The footprint is 10.4" x 9.5" which I think will fit in your sump, and the optimum height operation is 5.75" which I think the water level in the sump will operate (This depends on the baffles height).
It would be great to know how much space you have in the skimmer chamber in the sump so you can be sure this type of skimmer would fit.
Hi, and thanks again, on the sump its showing a water level at 5" and the area open is 17" x 12" with a maximum height in cabinet of 27"
does that help?
Rick

jpsika08

Yes, you have the correct area for fitting that type of skimmer, the optimum level would be 5.75" though, you can always place something to increase the skimmer's height in here and work at the right level.

There are many options out there and I'm speaking from experience, I have had 4 Reef Octopus skimmers and as mentioned above, all of them have worked like a charm.

Good thing about this unit specifically is that as it's a space saver it will leave you enough room to fit other equipment, maybe heaters or probes for a controller in case you end with one.