My Tunze skimmer isn't skimming anything.

screemer

Ever since I put a new pump in it, it produces nothing in the cup, no matter what I do. The skimmer is on the water line, it is foaming up inside the actual body, but nothing rises up? The only thing I can think of is that with the new pump, the green outlet hose doesn't look as central perhaps not forcing the foam up????? Any ideas

screemer

Anyone??? The foam is in the neck, but won't come any higher, and there are some strange noises coming out of the skimmer, sounds like air.

tnwillia

Hey Steve, guessing here, so questions...

Can you or have you put the two pumps side by side in a bucket to see how they produce air?
Is the new pump the same as the original pump, GPH. Air venturi?
Is there an obstruction in the airline or "L" that plugs it into the pump?
Have you done the You-Tube mod to stop using the adjuster at the top plate?
Have you tried replacing green outlet hose with one a little longer to get it in the correct place?
Is there nothing to Skim cause your tank is clean?

This sounds like an air path problem to me, not enough air to the pump. Others will jump in to help.

If you need it, I found a working copy of the You tube video to mod the airline hose and put it in the sticky for the 9002. Good luck solving this!

Bathtub

Any joy yet? If not please repost so the gurus can think about it? I am eager to know if you found the issue

Mischko

Sounds to me more like a problem with the water there. If bubbles are coming up inside the skimmer and by that I mean really bubbling as in boiling then it might be that the surface tension of the water is broken by something and foam won't build up properly. When you installed the new pump did you clean it first e. g. having it in vinegar water for some hours or such?
Another cause as stated before could be your water is too clean, but even then some foam is produced, not much though, but you can see a sort of thick foam layer on the surface which won't rise, but still you see it is thickened.

screemer

The water deffo isnt too clean. As for water tension, nothing has really changed. The only thing is that the water level in the main aquarium is now higher than the skimmer cup, but i dont think that causes a problem because some people remove the cup?? As for Terrys post, my new pump looks different to the one in that post. I just have the pump, and then a new nozzle, but the green tubing wont go on that, so i took it off and put the gree tube straight onto the pump. Perhaps that has shortened it too much? I dont know if it has to be a certain length or not? I am stripping it out again tonight to play with it. i go on my hols on Friday so could do with it skimming by then

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Strange that the new pump looks different. If you take it apart again take a picture of the pump.

screemer

it now has a moveable dial on the side for changing the flow rate, and is slightly bigger, making the vertical tube slightly offset, so it doesnt point straight up the collection cup

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
it now has a moveable dial on the side for changing the flow rate, and is slightly bigger, making the vertical tube slightly offset, so it doesnt point straight up the collection cup

Maybe the new pump is the problem. I didn't realize they changed the design.

screemer

Well got in from work, stripped it al ldown again, and realized that they had more parts on the new pump even though it was the same model number?? Took the outer casings off, and another piece around the impeller housing, then stripped everything down and cleaned it. Put it all back together, including the suckers on the bottom, and it now sits higher up so the green hose is now where it should be. Back in the tank and its already got foam in the neck, so hopefully as it settles in, it will produce foam again. Thanx guys.