My Secret Tank Chronicle

Phreek

Well as some of you may or may not know I am currently without an aquarium.I have been secretly working on plans for a new tank and having some fun with everyone during the process.Well I crumbled under the pressure and am starting a chronicle for this tank.Keep in mind this is all still in the planning stages.It will be at a snails pace,but I will ask many questions along the way, and I hope everyone can help with input and ideas.The chronicle will begin with the planning and go on until I know longer have the tank.So here it is DAY 1 PLANNING STAGES

TANK SPECS
60g rimless cube
24 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 8 X 24W
60lbs LR
60lbs LS

FILTRATION
Elos Natural NS1000 Protein Skimmer
Activated Carbon
Filter sponge
10g fuge/sump

INVERTS
10 Nassarius Snails
4 Astrea Snails
Pink and black cucumber
Pink Tip Bubble Anemone
Derasa Clam

FISH
?

CORAL
frogspawn
hammer coral
pink stylo
orange monti cap
yellow fiji leather
xenia
green star polyps
blue mushrooms
red mushrooms
4 different zoanthid morphs

and yes this is all LONG TERM stock lists....

Phreek

still undecided,thinking Elos though,I really like them.And I can't decide if I want starrphire glass or what.

michael_cb_125

Elos does not use Starphire. But all of their tanks are made from crystal (Italy's version of starphire).

~Michael

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would LOVE ELOS but unfortunately my bank account doesn't isn't bottomless LOL!!

Phreek

alright its question time!!!! lol I am a little nervous to keep different SPS with the lights I have chosen.I really would like to keep some blue acro and pink birdsnest.how do you all feel about that?

BigJay

I think its possible. It all depends on the actual tank though. Your doing a 60g tank thats 24 x 24 ? I am kind of anti-halide at the moment but those smaller square tanks with open tops look really good with those sexy halide pendants that look like a home fixture.

Phreek

yeah cube is 24x24x24.I actually don't care for the pendandt look,i was thinking more of a bracket mount if i did halides.another question is since this will have to be a custom tank (i can't find a 60g rimless glass anywhere) how should I do the overflow? I dont like how Elos has it in one corner,so I was thinking a glass overflow taking up one whole side of the tank,with a black acrylic cover?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I like to drill the sides and use an internal overflow box as I don't like giving up the room inside the tank that a bottom drilled overflow takes up. I also like having the plumbing accessible. But then I am function over form.

I also tend to use overflows without teeth as I have a penchant for anemones and and make my tanks as anemone friendly as possible, but that is a little off the beaten path I realize :)

stonedfish

I have a 60 g cube with 8 t5s. I want to upgrade to the same tank as you were describing. ( Mine is my old FW tank). Last year at MAX I saw the tank at Lee Mar Aquariums. It was Beautiful. Oh and if you are going rimless, it looks way better to not have stuff on the edges of the tank.

Phreek

thanks for the link clownfish,and the only thing on the edges of the tank will be the legs of my lights,nothing else (hopefully)

Phreek

well i found a place to make my tank! and they have many options of customization, so i have alot to choose from.it bums me out because i wont be able to purchase anything for atleast 6 weeks.but atleast i have an idea of what im getting and where from.I also might not be running the 10g fuge/sump.I have been reading that some people only run skimmers and lr as their filtration