My new Red Sea Max 650 S Build

U sticking with t5s? What color bulbs?

Matt leaves out punctuation.

I love T-5's..they are my choice of lights with LED supplements so we'll definitely be keeping t-5's. We are keeping the tank stock for now just to judge it on its own merit. I have T-5's on my 220 and have amazing growth and color. I have the ATI Power Module with Giesemann bulbs. Here's a couple pics from my home tank:

Marcyes-6.jpg

Marcyes-Tank-2.jpg

Marcyes-Tank-Right.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Beautiful tank! Thanks for all the updates and answering all the questions. Red Sea should compensate you. :snshne:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Beautiful tank! Thanks for all the updates and answering all the questions.

+1
1085.gif
Reputation Cheers (little star at bottom of post) for being so helpful & your already a Midas Blenny :)

New rockscape with added height looks great !

David Shaw

The tank looks great, and the rock work looks fantastic. It's only when you see someone stood by the tank that you get the perspective and see just how big they are. Have you stacked the rock to the back wall? It really does look wonderful.

If G.I Jan comes up with a DIY power tool for tank cleaning then let me know! That 650 is gonna consume a few algae pads :)

Tank cleaning and water change day for me today.

+1
1085.gif
Reputation Cheers (little star at bottom of post) for being so helpful & your already a Midas Blenny :)

New rockscape with added height looks great !

Thanks so much. I love the way the rock came out and yes, it needed some extra height and some "texture" in the lines. I thought it a bit too flat the first go. Can't wait to get livestock going! :) All tests still show perfect. Our first additions will be the clowns :)

The tank looks great, and the rock work looks fantastic. It's only when you see someone stood by the tank that you get the perspective and see just how big they are. Have you stacked the rock to the back wall? It really does look wonderful.

If G.I Jan comes up with a DIY power tool for tank cleaning then let me know! That 650 is gonna consume a few algae pads :)

Tank cleaning and water change day for me today.

Thanks, David. Yes, the tanks are bigger than they often look in pics. Jen is certainly a pro on tank cleaning...here are a couple shots of tanks we maintain:

Jenn-removing-coral.jpg

Jenn-Christmas-Universal-Tank.jpg

tank.jpg

I'm pulling towards a carpet anemone (red or purple) although we really need to think it through as we'll have a lot of smaller fish in this tank. I've had one in my home tank for about 15 years now. It spawns regularly, 2-4 times per year. The first time it did so my husband and I were totally freaked out and threw massive amounts of carbon in the sump, did a huge water change, etc. Now, I don't worry too much about it as the day after, once the water clears, my corals look amazing. Here's a video from a spawn about 6 months or so ago...maybe a little longer.

Last edited:

David Shaw

Wow what wonderful pics. Is tank maintenance your jobs then? Luckily she won't have to don a wet suit to clean the 650!

I spent an hour or so cleaning and doing general maintenance on mine today. Saw some coralline spots developing on the glass, so did a good scrub the get all coralline and algae build up removed.

Everything is looking clean and sparking once more. All fish and corals seem very happy. Water levels and readings all good and skimmer working away nice and quietly. I just love how practically silent the S Series run.

Wow what wonderful pics. Is tank maintenance your jobs then? Luckily she won't have to don a wet suit to clean the 650!

I spent an hour or so cleaning and doing general maintenance on mine today. Saw some coralline spots developing on the glass, so did a good scrub the get all coralline and algae build up removed.

Everything is looking clean and sparking once more. All fish and corals seem very happy. Water levels and readings all good and skimmer working away nice and quietly. I just love how practically silent the S Series run.

I love how tanks look after a good cleaning. Jen heads up our maintenance division. She does an awesome job.

Great video! That so cool!

Thanks, I'm always amazed when I watch that video. It's crazy how fast the anemone fills with water then expels. It almost always does this at night. Afterwards, the tank looks like someone poured about a gallon or two of milk in it, but by the next morning it's crystal clear again.

David Shaw

I too love a clean tank. I can just about get my hand to the bottom of the 500 when standing on the mini step ladder supplied, so i manage to get into all the corners and all along the back wall of the tank. It's not too big a job cleaning as long as it is done regularly and thoroughly.

I also syphon the substrate at water change time.