My new blue spot jawfish

scooter54

I purchase a blue spotted jawfish a week ago Saturday. I added it to my 110gallon tank the following Tuesday. When I put it in the tank it went where I wanted it to go but instead of stopping it just kept on going ( to the back of the tank ). It dug a nice home and was back there until today. I came home from work and to my surprise it was right in the front where my pearly jawfish is. The blue spot is in a hole that the pearly dug and they are about 4 inches apart. I think theres a tunnel between the two areas where the jawfish are. When I fed tonight the blue spot darted at the pearly but that was the end of it. I'm thinking the blue spot will move on but I guess only time will tell.

davephelps5000

I work at Exotic Aquatics in Baltimore, Md and we had two spotted jawfish for the past couple weeks..we actually sold our last one on sturday too! These guys are pretty hard to find out here and cost a pretty penny too! I'm my experience with them it will not be a god outcome to havethe two fish so close let alone sharing a tunnel.. The blue spot will probably remain dominant in that hole unless there is a big size difference. The pearly will most likely move on.. But keep an eye on em they can be fickle and can be easily stressed.

scooter54

My tank is a 110 gallon. This morning the blue spot is gone. Can't seem to locate it but it is dark in the room. Have the tank covered and I don't see it on the floor. The pearly is in its usual spot and looks like he built a longer tunnel ( I can see under the tank). Hopefully I will find it tonight.

lcstorc

I have two blues in a 125 and occasionally the one will disapear for a couple of days. Keep a lookout for him but he may well just be hiding in the rocks.

scooter54

Found the blue spot, it has moved to the back of the tank again. He moved about a foot from where he originally started. I keep hoping he will come to the front of the tank and stay. So tomorrow I guess it will be a surprise to see if he moves or stays put.

scooter54

My first jawfish ended up jumping after two weeks. I covered the tank with egg crate and screen. I would take the tops off when I got home from work because I didn't feel my corals were getting enough light because of the screen. One night I dozed off and when I woke I looked behind the tank before putting on the tops and there he was. I vowed never to try another one. But when my lfs got more in and he gave me such a good price on one I couldn't refuse getting another one. Now I am on my second one and he is so awsome. I have had it for 9 days,and it has been in the same place since I put it in the tank. It choose in the front of the tank on the right side and my pearly jawfish is in the front on the left side. Couldn't be more perfect. I just hope it stays that way. He goes in one hole and pops out of another, he so fun to watch. I still take the covers off but I keep a close watch on the tank. If I feel sleepy I put the tops on the tank. Ha

scooter54

I have had my second blue spot for over a month ( hurray) and everything is going good. It is still on the left side in the front and the pearly is on the right side in the front. The blue spot has wandered around some but has not tried to build another home. It always goes back to it original home.

scooter54

I tried to put some pics on here but it didn't work. How do you do pics, never had problems posting pics on other sites before.

scooter54

[
764.jpg

Testing.

bluespotjawfish

Cool fishy Scooter!

In regards to your top, they can and will jump through egg crate. And, since you remove it to get more light anyway, I think you need a different solution.

Have you looked at or considered building a screen top? They are pretty easy to do using 1/4 inch pond netting and a screen kit from Home Depot or Lowes. Sometimes the pond netting can be hard to find, but places that cater to pond supplies will carry it. The end product is nice a clean looking, and doesnt affect your light. If you have something hanging over the edge of the tank, you can make it a 6 sided screen using a few extra corner pieces.

scooter54

I use egg crate with screen over it. I got the screen from a glass shop, they use the screen for screened in porches so you are suppose to see through it better then window screen. The tops are on all night and all day until about 7 pm. Then they are off a couple of hours. I really watch the jawfish when they are off. I have gotten into sps's corals this past year and I just worry about them getting enough light. With the tops off it seems alot brighter in there. I also had glass tops cut for the top but I don't like it so much cause it fogs up and holds the heat in. This spring I will see if I can find pond netting and check it out, if it is spaced more then the screen I will definitly be interested. Thanks for the info.

mrpill

I got a blue spot a month ago. I have not seen him since. I thought he was dead until today. i saw him in the back of my 125gallon tank through my live rock. He is such a beautiful fish. How can i get him to build a burrow in the front so I can enjoy his beauty?

steved13

PREMIUM
You've probably thought of this already but just in case...Instead of a cover how about using the egg crate/screen to extend the top of the tank? As in putting it up vertically around the top rim. This will allow the light and make it jump proof.