My Nano Cube 28g Reef

sndw

I finally have my Nano Cube ready for livestock. I purchased my tank 2 months ago and slowly put everything together, I've been testing water every other day for safety. This is my old thread:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...nners/80200-my-first-saltwater-fish-tank.html

My build:
-28g Nanocube Pro LED with stand (89w)
-35 lbs of live rock
-40 lbs of live sand
-JBJ ATO with aqualifter pump
-1 Koralia 425 ghp powerhead on wavemaker set on 30s. (I put it on the back wall for water movement.
-Reefkeeper Lite Basic
-Aquamaxx HOB-1 Protein Skimmer
-Vortech MP-10
-JBJ Mini Chiller 1/15
-2 Return Pump at 255 GPH, 1 of them hook to the chiller.

LiveStock:
-Mated Pair True Percula Clown fish
-Emerald Crab
-Dwarf Cerith
-Florida Cerith
-Nassarius Vibex
-Nerite Snails
-Mushroom
-2 Limpets
-2 Fuzzy Chiton
-Green Electric Torch Coral
-Feather Duster

My Water:
-Ammonia: 0
-Nitrite: 0
-Nitrate: 0
-Ph: 8.1
-Calc: 450
-Alk: 8

I use Tropic Marin Seasalt.

Wish List:
RSM S400 :(

So after almost 2 months of waiting, I finally got my first live stuff. All of them look happy when I dropped them in my tank. The torch coral opened up to full right after 2 minutes, same with feather duster. The Pair of clown fish decided to bited my hand right after they get into the water. So after an hour of waiting, I fed them with Brine Shrimp and took this video. I was told by the guy at Vivid Aquarium that they used to feed them with Mysis Shrimp but I didn't have any so I tried Brine Shrimp. Clown Fish and Coral accepted brine shrimp very easy.
I plan to keep LPS and Soft Coral, maybe SPS later =)).
[video=youtube;YsNLtX_ZsNI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YsNLtX_ZsNI[/video]

Watching my tank on Saturday night is better than hanging out at the bar lol.

gbose

I finally have my Nano Cube ready for livestock. I purchased my tank 2 months ago and slowly put everything together, I've been testing water every other day for safety. This is my old thread:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...nners/80200-my-first-saltwater-fish-tank.html

My build:
-28g Nanocube Pro LED with stand (89w)
-35 lbs of live rock
-40 lbs of live sand
-JBJ ATO with aqualifter pump
-1 Koralia 425 ghp powerhead on wavemaker set on 30s. (I put it on the back wall for water movement.
-Reefkeeper Lite Basic
-Aquamaxx HOB-1 Protein Skimmer
-Vortech MP-10
-JBJ Mini Chiller 1/15
-2 Return Pump at 255 GPH, 1 of them hook to the chiller.

LiveStock:
-Mated Pair True Percula Clown fish
-Emerald Crab
-Dwarf Cerith
-Florida Cerith
-Nassarius Vibex
-Nerite Snails
-Mushroom
-2 Limpets
-2 Fuzzy Chiton
-Green Electric Torch Coral
-Feather Duster

My Water:
-Ammonia: 0
-Nitrite: 0
-Nitrate: 0
-Ph: 8.1
-Calc: 450
-Alk: 8

I use Tropic Marin Seasalt.

Wish List:
RSM S400 :(

So after almost 2 months of waiting, I finally got my first live stuff. All of them look happy when I dropped them in my tank. The torch coral opened up to full right after 2 minutes, same with feather duster. The Pair of clown fish decided to bited my hand right after they get into the water. So after an hour of waiting, I fed them with Brine Shrimp and took this video. I was told by the guy at Vivid Aquarium that they used to feed them with Mysis Shrimp but I didn't have any so I tried Brine Shrimp. Clown Fish and Coral accepted brine shrimp very easy.
I plan to keep LPS and Soft Coral, maybe SPS later =)).
[video=youtube;YsNLtX_ZsNI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YsNLtX_ZsNI[/video]

Watching my tank on Saturday night is better than hanging out at the bar lol.

Tank's looking great! 2 thoughts:
1) The current looks a bit strong for your feather duster.
2) I've heard brine shrimp isn't too nutritious. Can you get some mysis?

Good luck!

GBose

sndw

Yeah, I bought Mysis Shrimp and Garlic to feed my live stock now. But I noticed that my Clown Fish acted very weird. When there's light, the come to the front of the tank and play, swim up and down, follow my finger. But when there's only moon light, they come to the back wall and swim with their head down (look like they swim down but they just stay in one corner). Is that ok for them to do like that? Do they need a anemone to host or some type of coral? The female sometime come and check out the Torch Coral and left, I guess they don't like it lol.
ps: I didn't turn off anything at night. Pump, skimmer, chiller ... was still running.

klok95330

They dont need an anemone to host, its cool but its not a necessity. So long as they are eating, not breathing hard, their swimming and your water parameters are ok. I wouldn't worry too much. Tank is still pretty new. Just make sure your water is good to go.

sndw

Yeah, they still eating like a pig. They even came to the tip of the Turkey Baster and try to bite it. There is no spot or anything

Blue Space

Clownfish just act funny. When I first got mine it would swim around during the day and at night it would let the current push it up against the wall and just stick there until morning. They're just peculiar animals. :D

sndw

I just found out that I had strange fish. 2 days ago, I bough new type of food for my fish and coral. Then this little guy just came out from the rock and grap the food. After that, he decided not to go back into his cave any more. Now he's just lying on the rock all day, enjoy his sun light and look lazy. What kind of fish is this? How can it get into my tank? Is it reef safe?

253025_523892604292327_1698485686_n.jpg

561895_523892527625668_94957935_n.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Possibly long striped blenny Parablennius rouxi. How lucky to get a free blenny as a hitchhiker. Very reef safe and in my opinion fun fish to have in the tank. Or possibly a broad striped goby Elacatinus prochilos, also reef safe.

vsindorf

I've seen those sold as "neon gobies." Cute little guys. How funny that he just popped out of the rock one day! Great surprise!

sndw

Last week, I got my test kit for Calc and Alk. I found out that my Calc is low (260) so I went to LFS and the guy tell me to buy Sealab 28 because I had Nano Tank and the block was easy to use. So I tried it out, the direction said that it could not overdose so I drop 6 small bloakcs (3-4 blocks for every 10G). After 1 day, all gone so I drop another 6 blocks and it lasted for 1 day. Then I tested my Calc and Alk. Calc reading was around 550+ and Alk dropped to 6. So I had to do water change and bough regular 2 part Calc and Alk to slowly bring everything back. I just give some of my experience so you guy know to stay away from it.

BTW, my Clowns had ick 2 weeks already but I didn't have QT so I tried to feed them food with Garlic and Vitamin C. They're still doing fine and really enjoy playing whenever someone come close to the tank lol. Lets hope for the best

This is my new Video

[video=youtube;VWjTkSjnN0A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWjTkSjnN0A[/video]

Andy

my clownfish do the exact same thing at night. think ther just settling down for the night. Mine swim down dut stay at same level like urs in the top left corner at the back wall of my tank. If there isnt an anenomy to host they seem to stick near a powerhead or something at night