My little reef...

Rogerh

No experience here with flatworms, but I think some others have and can give some advice. Hopefully the Sixline will deal with them. There are also treatments available if they get too bad:

Flatworm Exit

Yeah, I have read about the Flatworm Exit, and let me put it this way... that will be my final solution. I`m not a big fan of putting medicine in my tank. I trust nature and hopefully Mr. SixLine will do his job:)
But I am ofcause interested in hearing others experience with flatworms.

Rogerh

Ok, no good days in my little reef...

1. There seems like the FW`s are still present after trying to starve the six line this weekend. I can still see groups of them at the glass.... Hmm, what to do?

2. Changed my brand of salt a couple a weeks ago, from Red Sea Coral Pro to D-D h2Ocean, and everything in the tank is growing, and looks really helathy. But my montipora capricornis both red and green are starting to bleech, and it goes fast aswell. Big difference over the last week.

Here is my red monti about 9 months ago.
IMG_4352.jpg

Here he is sometime during late winter, you could see some good growth over these few months, and the color is good.
IMG_4383.jpg

And here he is some days ago, It has grown alot, but as you can see the colors are fading, and the photo is from the top, just to really show the colors.
IMAG0002.jpg

You can hardly see the white line around anymore...
Changed lighbulbs three montsh ago, but I would guess the bleech should have started earlier, if that where the case, or?

Here are my water values:

temp: 26`c
KH: 8
pH: 7,4
NH4: <0,05
NO2: <0,01
Cu: <0,1
NO3: <0,5
PO4: <0,02
SIO2: 0,4
Ca: 400
Mg: 1600
Salinitet: 1,025

Ph and Kh are low, and the Mg is kinda high. Mg has for some reason always been high in my tank since startup.

I run the famous StevieT setup, and like I said, everything else looks really good in the tank, polyps are wide open, and the fish looks happy.

It would be nice if anybody had any thoughts on this issue, and maybe some tips to solve this. Is it because the FW, waterparameters not spot on, lack of nutrition in the water....?????

Please Help!!

:)

pocketreef

Hi Roger,

Your results look good but I would call your attention to the low PH while the KH is decent. KH 8 is just fine but it should avoid the PH to drop to your current value. Ask a colleague or LFS to test your alkalinity with a different test.

My second guess would be aging tubes... if older than 10 months I would consider changing.

I found plating montis specialy sensitive to low alkalinity. Here they started to grow when Alk got higher than 6dKH. Thanks to dosing pumps and balling light....

Rogerh

Hi Roger,

Your results look good but I would call your attention to the low PH while the KH is decent. KH 8 is just fine but it should avoid the PH to drop to your current value. Ask a colleague or LFS to test your alkalinity with a different test.

My second guess would be aging tubes... if older than 10 months I would consider changing.

I found plating montis specialy sensitive to low alkalinity. Here they started to grow when Alk got higher than 6dKH. Thanks to dosing pumps and balling light....

Hi, thanks for replying. I don`t quite follow what you mean with aging tubes? Lights??

Yeah, been thinking of maybe start with balling....

Nice if someone else has a theory on this aswell...:)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nothing here that pocketreef didn't mention above. pH is low. Maybe raising the alk with a buffer will get the pH up as well. A closed up house will raise CO2 levels, which can decrease pH. Letting fresh air in might help get the pH up.

Rogerh

Nothing here that pocketreef didn't mention above. pH is low. Maybe raising the alk with a buffer will get the pH up as well. A closed up house will raise CO2 levels, which can decrease pH. Letting fresh air in might help get the pH up.
Hi Terry

Thanks, for the tip:) Since sunday, I have letting alot of fresh air in during the evenings, and I hope that will help my Ph problem. Otherwise I would have to take a trip to LFS and get something to adjust it.

But is it normal that the montiporas are first to loose color, are they more sensitiv than other corals?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I always though the Montis were less sensitive than other SPS, but I don't know that's true or not.

Rogerh

Hmm, Yeah... I found this whery strange because as far as I can see, everything else in the tank is doing great, other sps, sacrophyton, rhodactis, devilshand, xenia and fish..... so the montiporas is the first ones that I can see that there is something "fishy" going on in my tank....

Rogerh

A little update:

Just about to order a 450L woha glasstank with 170L sump:)
Starting the building of the stand this weekend, and sometime during atumn everything from my RSM will be moved over to the new tank. Good to have something to look forward to during these tragic days in Norway.

The sixlinewrasse has done his job and by the looks of it, he has control over the FW. Traded back to RedSeaCoral Pro, and my red montipora is gradually getting better, so I keep my fingers crossed. Moved the green montipora down a bit, but it is still loosing color.

Looking forward to a fresh start with a new bigger tank, my RSM has been a great learning curve, and a perfect starter kit:)

Rogerh Tank is looking awesome..... Gad flatworms are under control, dottybacks are supposed to be really good at controling flatworms and bristleworms. i use Redsea Coral pro and im really happy.!!

jpsika08

Roger,
My sympathy to you and all Norwegians, hope your country and countrymen recover emotionally and physically after such terrible event.
Hope you and your family were not affected in any way.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Roger,
My sympathy to you and all Norwegians, hope your country and countrymen recover emotionally and physically after such terrible event.

My thoughts and wishes also ^.

Rogerh

Roger,

My thoughts and wishes also ^.

All my family and friends are Ok. But I was close to the bomb. Was in the city working, and drove past the bomb cite about 15 min. before it went of. I had just walked in my door and turned on the tv to follow our contrymen in Tour De France, when my bedroom window was bouncing back and forth... I was thinking that someone trying to climb tru my window, and was about to walk in the bedroom, when I heard the blast. I was the pressure from the bomb that where shaking my window. It takes me 10 min to drive from city centrum of Oslo to where I live, and the pressure was so strong here... so It was a big blast for sure... I was in shock later that day when reports of alot of young kids/people where killed at Utøya....
The centrum of Oslo is now covered in roses, and flowers.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - that was a close call! Good to hear you weren't driving by the bomb site 15 minutes earlier! That must have been a powerful bomb to shake your window that far away. Happy to hear that you, the family & friends are OK.

Rogerh

Wow - that was a close call! Good to hear you weren't driving by the bomb site 15 minutes earlier! That must have been a powerful bomb to shake your window that far away. Happy to hear that you, the family & friends are OK.
Yes, a really powerful bomd. The last reports from the police is that everything didn`t go off, and most of the explosion whent downwards into the garage lokated under there the car with the bomb where parked. They spekulate in something around 1000kg with explosives... so the damage would have been massive if everything has went off.

jpsika08

1,000 Kgs!? wow, that would have been worst than it was, yes I read they still found some undetonated bombs.

I'm really happy you're ok.