My first SW Tank - Fluval Edge 6 Gallon

hayoto

Thanks guys. I don't plan on giving up. Though I was discouraged and upset about it.
I'm going to take this time to re-scape some of the tank.

I will get some new fish once im sure that the tank water perams are good. and when my heart is ready for it.
I will also take the time to search for a device that will notify me if there is a power failure other than expensive home automation systems.

I'll still proceed witb my dim4 project and takes some pics to update. thanks for the support guys!

hayoto

UPDATE!
My Gear from LEDGROUPBUY just arrived. Will be setting up this week, and take pics.
Also - I had a great deal from someone on Craigs list for a Red Sea max 250 66 Gallon setup.

I have purchased moved, and set it up with SW, and live sand... Now the waiting process for it to settle and cycle. I will take pics of it as well at some point.

I also picked up two new clown fish, and a watchman goby.
Pics to be up in the next day or so :)

hayoto

OK! So here are the pics!
First is the red sea max 250.
Bare with me - the sand is still settling. I've added some clearing solutions to help clump up the sand, and its done more in the past two hours then it did in the past 18 hours of circulating.

First the main shot where I put it. I used two bags of Arag Alive - Bahama's Oolite, and one bag of Arag Fiji pink.
I mixed with instant ocean salt solution. And have no live rock in it yet.

Input/advice would be appreciated! :)

heres a shot of the left

Then the right

hayoto

Ok - So heres the pics of the LEDGROUPBUY lights!
I've removed my new fish while I did this install, incase there was some shock from the unshielded current.
I will be heading over to a local acrylic shop and having them make a custom shield for it that I can remove when needed.

The first pics show the unpacking, second pick showing how I had to cut my heatsync as its was too large, my light placements, and my final install. (I also need to create a custom box from my DIM4).
Feel free to ask questions! I learned a lot during this that I don't mind sharing! And I'm always open to advice and pointers!

hayoto

Cool build on the LEDS & great pics ! What did it end up costing?

The whole order cost around 160 + 15 dollars shipping.
Took about 1 week for it to arrive.

Thanks!
I just got 50 pounds of live rock and put it in. Waiting for the water to clear up before I take any new pics to put up.
A question for the mods here. Does the 66 Gallon count as a Nano reef tank? Should I start posting my progress of that on a different part of the forums?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
A question for the mods here. Does the 66 Gallon count as a Nano reef tank? Should I start posting my progress of that on a different part of the forums?

No hard fast rules that I know of... feel free to post where ever... if I were to suggest where to start a tank thread on a 66 gallon tank - I would pick
Reef Chronicles

or for a Red Sea Max 250 (66 gallon tank) the RSM Club here on RS - 100's live here :)
Red Sea Max Owners Club

hayoto

Thanks for the likes guys!

A quick update - Saltwater got in my Lights - Luckily no fish appear to be hurt due to it. So I have to redesign my LED guard, and order some replacements.
Had to take back my two True Perc Clowns for two White Oceleris (SP?) clowns, as the true percs were not eating :(.

Also added a watchmen Goby.

I'll post pics when I upload them.

klok95330

1 fish max... if that. To be honest you could make a nice looking tank even without a fish. Depends on your interests though. But in that tank, 1 only. If you want more, get a biocube 14 or 29. Nice start though :) be patient and do not over stock. Rule of thumb I have, is add something, that poos, wait a month after... before anything else, especially in a nano

hayoto

1 fish max... if that. To be honest you could make a nice looking tank even without a fish. Depends on your interests though. But in that tank, 1 only. If you want more, get a biocube 14 or 29. Nice start though :) be patient and do not over stock. Rule of thumb I have, is add something, that poos, wait a month after... before anything else, especially in a nano

Thanks for the Advice Keith, I've been hearing this from multiple people on the forum, so I will be moving the watchment Goby over to my Larger 66 gallon when he's not so stressed from his move. I will probably keep the clowns together in the 6 gallon - as they appear to be a pair, and I already have a different set of clowns in the 66.

I'll post pics up tonight.

Side note - I saw another Nano tank I fell in love with Today at my LFS.
Its a custom made one the guy makes himself and sells, it resembles a rimless tank, and its 12 gallons.
Time will tell :)

KidKuiper

Thanks Apha!
Here is the link for the light.
I personally don't like it so much - ruins the look of the edge I think.
I'm making a DIY one, so if you want mine and live in the states I'll sell it to you, just PM me and let me know :)

Hey Hayoto, I am being handed down an edge myself. Was wondering what that lighting fixture was, for some reason the link did not work for me. Not the DIY one but the gooseneck one 5 light LED. I believe you called it a "Solar Flare" but i haven't been able to find the same one. Would greatly appreciate it!

aphawkins

I ended up with an A150w Kessil in Ocean Blue...love that light!!! Removed the silver metal screen off the top and hung the light over the top. Can't remember what light he had though....

aphawkins

Not at all. Does run it a bit hotter but doesn't seem to be effecting anything. My sps are growing like crazy...hasn't bleached anything out or had any adverse effects that I can see. So that's always good!!