My 45 Gal!!

njm92383

Well someone on craigslist finally got smart and put a phone number on their listing. Anyway it is a 45 gal bow front that they have had running for about 9 months. There is a little live rock and two damsels. It comes with a protein skimmer and a fluval 405. Here is a picture of it.
tank_shot3.jpg

My plan is to completely clean out the tank and possibly repaint the stand and tank. I am going to keep the live rock and damsels in a bucket with the pump and heater running with it. Once I am able to find more live rock I am going to do a little aqua scalping and hopefully get the cycle going.

Now to where i am a little confused. What should i do about the damsels once i get the water, rock, protein skimmer, and pump on the tank? Would keeping them in the bucket with an air stone be the only option? I don't really care for them but I don't want to kill them.

Adam Black

Trade the Damsels for store credit at you LFS. Depending on the direction your going I would trade the fluval and the Superskimmer in too.

njm92383

Well the local fish store doesn't do trade ins anymore. Guess i could always use them as my dead matter when i cycle the tank.

degibson84

when i first setup my tank i used a damsel to start my cycle and he survived. they are a very hardy fish

Reddog170

Well I would not ditch the super skimmer just yet. It may work well for you. the damsels, well they are tough, teritorial, and can be agressive. If it were me I would just find them a new home somewhere. You did not say what lighting the tank has. I am a fan of T5 lighting. It puts out good light, doesnt cost a years pay and works real well for most tanks. What are your plans for livestock? This is my favorite part, getting it going for the first time. Keep us posted, Shaun

njm92383

Well the lighting is just the standard lighting that comes with a tank. my livestock plan is a blue spotted jaw fish, lawnmower blenny, pair of clowns, and the last would be a mandarin goby. The mandarin would be after a long time and only if i knew I had enough food for it. I also wanna get a bubble tip anemone Also, I will have a CUC and a few Zoa's and Ric's. I know I will have to get better lighting. I hope that this wont be too much of a bio-load.

This is going to be my starter tank so assuming it goes well i will someday move up to a larger, more sophisticated design.

njm92383

i just found the state site and the local one isn't really much of anything. I did find that they have a meeting every month.

njm92383

Well i got the tank today. It came with a coralife super skimmer, fluval 404, and a coralife T-5 double linear 36" 10,000K day and acticic bulbs. I picked up some sand and salt too. I am still waiting on live rock but have figured out how i want it displayed.

I do have a random question, I took apart the filter and I thought there was supposed to be different types of media in there but there was only cork. Is this right?

Last edited:

njm92383

Just a little update. I have ordered a ro unit, power heads, and base rock. Still not sure what the filter media is supposed to be but I dont think it will matter because i plan to do a cpr overflow with sump. Well once the rock is here i will post some pictures of the aqua-scape.

njm92383

Update:
I decided to just use a 5lb bag of live sand and buy base rock from one of the sponsors. I just got the rock today so here are some pictures. I have started to cycle by putting scallops in the tank to build the Ammonia up. It's the 5th day and I am getting a high level but no nitrates or nitrites yet.

Do you think the 18th would be too soon for a CUC?

img1648u.jpg

img1649q.jpg
img1650a.jpg
img1651z.jpg