My 3 month old Red Sea Max 130D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The new video was super! How do you find the Anthias - easy to keep and do they eat well?

Thanks for the info re links Tammy.
Terry the Anthias are always first to go for the food...especially the New Era marine flakes I feed them with each day. Once a week I leave out the feeds and then they spend their time swimming in and out of the live rock looking for pods....lovely colourful and active fish.

View from RH side:
RSM-LHa.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Very pretty tank !

To get your pics to show up here... wrap this syntax around url - add a [ bracket at the start... had to remove it so I could show you the code

Like this... img]http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/505/RSM-LHa.jpg[/img]

below the results :)

RSM-LHa.jpg

Dweezil

You truly have a beautiful tank. Very colorful. I love Zoa's too! You didn't mess around with frags though did you? LOL looks like you went straight for colonies. After seeing yours I really want to get more now. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Absolutely gorgeous tank - one of, if not the best, 130 I've seen! Great colors! I may rethink getting another Flame Angel in favor of a couple Anthias.

Terry I've been keeping Marines on and off for 36 years now, Anthias are IMO very underated and misunderstood. General concensus of opinion is that because they are a shoaling fish they should be kept in large numbers in a big tank and be fed at least 3 times a day. Admittedly my RSM130 is the smallest tank I've ever owned but I've kept 5 Anthias very successfully for 3 years in a 50 gallon tank, until I had to break it down due to moving house. They are always active and most of the day swim out in the open...a very rewarding fish to keep and 100% reef safe (I've had 2 flame angels in the past and both ended up picking at my corals). The other incredible thing about Anthias is that they change colour according to their mood, when the sun shines on a corner of my tank they really perk up in colour and take on a pinkish hue, accompanied by lots of fin quivering and body weaving.
Here's a pic I took just a few minutes ago just as the sun's rays were leaving my tank:

RSM-anth1.jpg

and another pic taken seconds afterwards to show the vibrant colours when hit by the sun's rays:

rsm-fts-sun1.jpg

My chromis love the sun as well:

RSM-sun2.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Scorpio - I get about the same late day sun in my 130, and it hasn't caused any algae problems. I'm on the fence about the Anthias - I'm probably overstocked already, but have had more fish in the past than I do now, with no problems. I was thinking possibly a single male Bartlett's as I have an HQI/T5 hood and they're one of the few that I've read can get acclimated to brighter light - from what I've read many of the Anthias prefer dimmer light? I've also read that they can be kept singly in a small tank, and don't have to be kept in groups. Do you have to feed them a few times a day? I also have a couple fish that can be aggressive to new additions, and am concerned that an Anthias won't be aggressive enough to stand his ground till accepted. Plus, with a raised hood I'm not sure if it would be a carpet surfer. Your thoughts? Beautiful fish, but most of what I read says they are difficult, and may not be the best choice for my tank.

I had a Flame Angel for quite a while, and he never bothered any corals, but I know that chance always exists. I lost mine after a winter power outage and a too cold tank.

You've obviously done your research about Anthias Terry.
I'd definitely not keep them with an open hood though. I'm not sure that bright light is a problem provided they have adequate cover to retreat to during the day. My living rock is arranged as a hollow grotto and they do spend lots of time inside looking for pods... but as soon as I move near to the tank they all swim out together and beg for food. They absolutely demolish the flakes I feed them and chase around after even the tiniest morsel that gets carried on the current...so very little, if any food gets to land on the sand. I usually feed them in the morning before I leave for work and then again around 7pm but as I said before, once a week I fast all the fish in my tank for 24 hours and reward them with a tankfull of live brine shrimp afterwards. This goes against all I've read about these lovely fish but I've never lost a single Anthias yet. I do suspect though that they still feast on the pods which seem to have made themselves at home inside the grotto.
With regard to Anthias being aggresive enough to hold their ground against other fish I do have to concede that these are amongst the most peaceful fish I have ever kept, the only aggression I've seen with them is when they start to pair off and the smallest fish gets chased away if he wants some of the action. .
If I were in your shoes I'd definitely go with the flame angel for your set up.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for the additional Anthias information scorpio. I always research everything to the nth degree, then make stupid choices anyway! But, I think it's best under my conditions to skip the Anthias.