My 3 Gallon Love Child!!!

twofinhogie

Recently I've been sorta bored with how my 14 biocube's setup and decided it was time for a new tank. I set my sights on a 3 gallon picotope because if anything it will at least be cheaper to setup than my 14. WRONG! Anyways I got the boss mans permission to set this sucker up at work so I immediately ordered one off of Foster and Smith aquatics. In one week it came in. I was thrilled! I couldn't wait to set it up so the next day I bought some live sand and RO water from the LFS. On Tuesday I came in early to set it up.
P1030727.jpg

It looked Awesome! Fit perfectly on my desk and everything. After wiping up all the mess I let it run to begin filtering the water. I noticed I missed a spot of water on my desk so I wiped it up. A minute later I noticed some water on the backside of the tank where I had just wiped and thought, "what the heck, I just cleaned that up?" Well it hit me shortly after that, I think I got a leak. :banghead: Sure enough I watched drip after drip roll down the corner of my brand spanking new tank.
P1030729.jpg

Bummed out, I drained the tank and brought it home. There I discovered that the glass pane on the back of the tank did not line up with the rest of the glass. What they had done was fill the gap with silicone hoping it would hold. It had not. I figured it would be an easy DIY so I got a razor and separated the 2 pieces. While aligning the pane to the back of the tank the pane slipped out of my hand and came crashing down into the tank busting into exactly 2.37 million pieces. That tank was toast! Slightly upset yet still determined to setup a new tank I scoured the LFS till I found another picotope. This time I tested the tank out prior to setup. I now had 2 over the side filters to provide twice the flow and a tank that held water.
P1030736.jpg

Next was the live rock. I got about 5 pounds and set her up in the tank.
P1030749.jpg

I let the tank sit and work it's magic for the next 2-3 weeks. The guys in the office were going crazy wanting to put stuff in my tank. I came back after some inspections to find a 6 inch shrimp laying in the bottom that they had bought from a local bait shop. They named him Mr. Scampi. I caught him out of the tank and released him into his natural environment. After the 2-3 weeks I believed my tank had cycled so I bought a small cleanup crew for my small tank. In one day the algae was gone. After they made my tank spotless I decided it was time to throw some spare frags into it. After about a week we added a "canary" yellow tailed damsel.
P1030820.jpg

Once I saw my corals were opening up and looking good, it was on. My next 3 corals were a frag of blue snowflakes, a sweet yuma, and a 2 headed frag of frogspawn.
P1030862.jpg

Another week passed and it was time.............FOR MORE CORALS!!!!!!
(That toadstool's got quite the gangster lean)
P1030900.jpg

So I thought I'd give the corals a rest and get some more livestock. I bought myself a nice little skunk shrimp. Now the damsel didn't take kindly to me adding another reef inhabitant into his domain, but because the shrimp cost more than him, I guess he didn't realize the shrimp had priority. Oh well. I made a makeshift fish trap within the office and caught him out of my tank and gave him back to the LFS fatter and healthier than when I got him. The sweet yuma I bought just 2 weeks ago was already shrinking at an exponential rat.
P1030947.jpg

P1030977.jpg

That brings us to this week. Feeling that one of my rocks was feeling a little bare I decided to get some ric's to cover it up. I also felt like my skunk shrimp could use a companion so one of the guys in the office bought a little true perc to keep him company.
P1040100.jpg

P1040110.jpg

P1040124.jpg

P1040125.jpg

More to come......

GrendelPrime

sweet lil tank..that toad got the gangsta lean cause he needs more light and is trying to get under it and i would think about getting either a nano power head or a skimmer cause it looks like u have a oily film on the water surface which is blocking gas exchange

Royalscott

The light that comes with the pico is not sufficient enough to keep most corals growing and healthy. The leathers and yuma need much more light then what they are getting.

You should also think about a larger pump or power head to get more water circulating.

One word of caution, in a month or two, the salt creep will be out of control and it will keep the light unless you cover the top of the tank. The salt creep will also be all over your desk and the walls surrounding the tank.

twofinhogie

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into getting a bit more flow, but as for a skimmer I just don't have enough room.

Here's the weekly update. Last Thursday I was out of the office for most of the day, but my co worker Liz commented that it looked like my clown was finally getting over the nerve of being in a new tank and was seeming to show some personality. I was stoked! Finally he was starting to act like a clown fish and hanging out in the frogspawn and all. All good news so I went home that afternoon all smiles. Well the next morning I came in and set my junk up by my computer and looked to see how everyone was doing. Shrimp-Good! Corals-Good! snails and hermits-Good! Clown....Clown.....Clown????? The only way to explain it was it looked like overnight my clown fish had learned to swim like a fighter jet and pull extreme maneuvers like corkscrew and flying upside down. These maneuvers were too far advanced for a clown fish to be pulling unless something was wrong. Something was wrong and my clown fish was dying. Realizing that he had fallen far past recovery I tearfully scooped him from the tank and placed him in a small cup, walked him to the river, and released him to his once native waters. There has yet to be any other ill effects to the community. Still don't know what went wrong. Anyways, here are some photos the day before that haunting morn.

P1040128.jpg

Ric garden
P1040136.jpg

P1040152.jpg

Released him into a river at jax beach? That is far from his native home. Clown fish do not come from the Atlantic, and it would have been better to take him back to the lfs as I am pretty sure he was tank raised, so the Atlantic is deff not his home and he probably would not survive in the Atlantic imo.. But whats done is done and I am sorry for your loss.
The tank looks awesome btw. Its sweet that your boss let you have something like this is your cubicle.

twofinhogie

Oh trust me I know it's not his native home, I was just trying to to make a good story of it. He was pretty much dead (ie. laying down in the bottom of the cup taking cat naps.)

the tank is looking great. if you need more flow you should get a aquaclear filter and mod it to be a HOB refugium and you can fit all your equipment in the filter. you should check out nano-reef.com it has a pico reef fourm with a how too picotope section lots of info for having a picotope.

twofinhogie

Thanks for the info! I've been looking for some more refrences to picotope mods.

On another note..........MY NEW LIGHT CAME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heres some pictures!
P1040305.jpg

P1040306.jpg

jpsika08

Sorry to hear about your clown :( tough luck on the maneuvers.

Regarding the light congrats, post pictures once you have it installed :thumbup:

twofinhogie

Installed the light yesterday but unfortunatly messed the timer up and the light stayed on all night, so I'm letting them sleep for the day today and tomorrow have everything running as normal. In other words....Pictures tomorrow!

twofinhogie

Sorry to everyone who was following this thread for no updates in over a month. Ok sooooooo alot has happened since I last posted. I had to move the tank twice in 5 days due to office renovations and went 3 weeks to Virgina for a tech school. While in school I had someone within the office who was gonna take care of the tank while I was gone. I just showed him how to top it off w/ distilled every 2 days as well as how to take elementary readings of my salinity levels. I even and marked the space "you wanna be between" with a permanent marker.
So I returned from my school anxious to see how my tank fared. Apparently I must have came during a low tide cycle cause my tank was about a gallon low (Keep in mind it's only a 3 gallon tank). Ouch! Come to find out the guy who I trusted to take care of it took leave last week and he designated someone else to look after it who also took leave. So for the last week no top off. I sampled my water; Hydrometer pinged! Off the scale! I quickly added a gallon of distilled water. Blah, blah, blah, blah, I can go on and on but I know all you guys want to see are the pictures.

P1040461.jpg

My Ric garden!!!!!
P1040462.jpg

No more gangster lean for my toadstool!
P1040464.jpg

Little buddy still doing well.
P1040466.jpg

twofinhogie

Btw, The blue snowflakes were moved due to the frogspawn growing like crazy and burning half of them off their rock. Also hes been stinging my zoas so i had to rotate the rock a lil to move them out of his path of destruction!

JandR

Very Nice tank!! I really like it! I see so many people having success at these very tiny tanks and it makes me want to have one of my own now! Yours is very beautiful!! :flower: