My 20 gallon Build

tucker

30 is pretty high for nitrates and inverts are sensitive to these. I've had mine as high as forty in some of my tanks due to lack of changes but everything still seemed happy back then and had no loses. everything has been at zero for a while now :) What are your salinity levels at? You could always check the nitrites and amonia for fun if you have your own testing kit and all. They should be all at zero or dam near though. Where did you get your sand from? noticed it was uber fine

tucker

Also are you using any carbon filtration, you can also add nitrate eating carbon to your regular carbon. I would also add more live rock most likely. it looked a little shy

Lemonpeel

I just did a 5 gallon water change in it and turned out the lights, won't be back on for a week. Are moonlights ok or should I turn them off too? I got the arag-alive sand sugar grain a few years ago at petco. My tank is at 78 and I am running carbon that I put in there a few days ago.

tucker

You have any fish in there still? Moonlights should be fine. I would say the prime reason why your cleaning crew is dying is the unstable water parameters and high nitrates. Do water changes frequently to get your levels a little lower and consistent then introduce a cleaning crew :)

Lemonpeel

I have a 200 gph return pump and a 700 gph circulation pump. I did a water change yesterday so I'm gonna test my water and see where my levels are.

Lemonpeel

Just tested my water. My kh is at a 9 again today, trates are down to a 5, phosphates are 0 and calcium is over 520. Isn't a high calcium level bad for a tank? If it is, how do I lower it, I'm not dosing anything with calcium in it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ur good with calc. Its a good problem to have. Ur hardness is a tad low yet acceptable

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Lemonpeel

I missed a question sorry I have fish in there a tomato clown a yellow damsel a blue damsel and a black molly, I was going to take them out and put them in the 90 after cycle, but the hair algae has stopped me from doing that.

tucker

Stop adding anything you might be. The only way to lower Ca levels is to do water changes and time I believe. Should be around 420 ppm. What are your Mg levels at?

Lemonpeel

All that I have been doing is water changes, I haven't added anything to the tank in the last month so I could see if the algae was feeding on anything I was dosing. I don;t have a mg test kit and I can't afford to have it tested. The LFS here charges $12 for mg tests.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm with Matt, don't sweat the high calcium. If its too high you'll know it, because you'll have it precipitate in the water, snow. Good luck.

dmatt88

I'm with Matt, don't sweat the high calcium. If its too high you'll know it, because you'll have it precipitate in the water, snow. Good luck.

If u think its too high add sps.

Lemonpeel

Is it required to test magnesium? I thought it was replenished mostly through water changes. Do I need to add it to my tank? There's so much more to keeping sps than I thought there was through 2 years of reading.

dmatt88

Magnesium n calcium kinda fall hand in hand.