My 20 gallon Build

Lemonpeel

Here are some more pics. Day 2, nice and clear today.

DSC01952.jpg

DSC01953.jpg

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Like Matt said if you take a cup full of sand from your 90 you will speed up the cycle by seeding your 20

Lemonpeel

I plan on doing that here in a few minutes. I'm hoping to speed up the cycle at least by a week or 2 and being able to put a couple cheap damsels or something in there in a couple weeks.

engineer goby

Depends, it could take as little as 1 to 2 weeks or up to 6 weeks. Every tank is different but by seeding your sandbed you will speed up the process.

dmatt88

Actually with a small bioload it could cycle in hours as well. Its important to test here. What test kit u use?

........where's Sasquatch

Lemonpeel

I take it to an LFS here in town. I think he uses Hydor, maybe??? I actually just seeded with about 1/4 cup of substrate from my 90 and I also put a small chunk of deli shrimp in there as well.

Lemonpeel

Thanks Rob, I'm excited to be able to get what I want in this little tank. I'm going to do a water change either later today or tomorrow.

Lemonpeel

I just added a handful of cheato that I pulled out of my 90. Hopefully it does well and gives my tank a little extra boost, I also just did a water change. I'm wishng that I had an R/O filter...

Lemonpeel

Took my water to get it tested yesterday, ammonia was up, came home and did a water change. I the took more water in to get it tested and everything was clear. Is it odd that I'd have a spike overnight?

EagleEyes

Could it have been the deli shrimp releasing ammonia? If it's cycling still, let it go. It should disappear as those beneficial bacteria multiply.