My 150 Tall Journey...

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
So I figured that now might not be a bad time to start a little tank journal and hopefully I'll continue to update along the way because things are going so good I won't be able to keep it all to myself....

So here are a couple of startup pictures of my newest tank which is a 150 tall which just found itself into what I like to call my "Man Room".

I'll include my first addition which is my 56 column that I'm not sure what that will morph itself into once my reef is set up.

953.jpg
So this is my 56 that I am happy to say that after much patience and removing my bio sump and replacing it with a sump/fuge the lovely brown invasion seems to have stopped and is starting to go away.

951.jpg
This is my 30 Gallon sump/fuge that I threw together for my 150. It isn't under the tank because it doesn't fit. ugh!

Picture of the month.jpg

And this is the 150 with my new Aqua Illuminations and water:)

Tonight I plan on setting up all of the dry rock (150lbs worth) and then it's time to toss in the shrimp!

Once I manage to get a handle on the endless mess I'm creating along the way I'll post a few pics of the rest of the room.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Thanks guys glad to have you along!

So these are the tools I have to work with.

In case anyone wonders what 150lbs of dry rock looks like from BRS here you go.

The one thing I don't have is any epoxy or glue. Am I going to be kicking myself for not having any on hand once I get chin deep into this project or is it an option? Not that I would know what to use, so if it is something I should have on hand then I'd love to hear what I should get.

Hopefully I will have enough time to get er done tomorrow but if not she will all be finished no later then Sunday. Stay tuned...

Live Rock 150lbs.jpg

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Well it took A LOT longer then I wanted it to but the rocks are all in. The best advice I could give anyone so far is if you really want to get your first course of rock completely on the glass...shop for your live rock and place them in the tank BEFORE you even think about sand:) I didn't want any chance of critters digging under and really creating a mess later on so I wanted every rock on the bottom to rest completely on the glass. Translated... I scooped an entire 5 gallon bucket of sand out and then put it all back in once I was done setting the rock.

So at the moment we are up and running and the shrimp are in! Funny how they just can't seem to get out of the stocking though. Kidding, I'm just kidding!

Picture to follow as soon as the the tank clears or as soon as my fingers can feel again which ever comes first.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
lookin good man! Next time do the rockwork before the sand AND water. much easier!!

Oh now he tells me:)

Im putting the lights back on top today and the tank is clearing nicely. Do we think 2 shrimp are enough to stink up the joint enough?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
How ya like the ai lighting? How long u had em.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

Join DateAug 2006Locationthe very farthest west coast of canadaPosts10,112
Re: To Filter or Not to Filter

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bearjohnson
All dry rock. I've put a live pice from my other tank in their a few weeks ago...

Hatch, Lemott and Salifert...does any or all of these have a standard all in one kit for all the tests needed do you know?

so the dry rock will not cycle on its own this deli shrimp time, when you have it set up the way you want it get some shrimp and pantyhose, put a couple in the hose and let it rot in the tank, wait a day then everyday test ammonia, eventually it will climb, then you test everyday for ammonia and nitrite, ammonia will rise and fall, nitrite will go way high, when it starts to fall test nitrate.
You need the 4 basics for now ph, ammonia,nitrite and nitrate.
Later you will need, ph,calcium,alk and magnesium kits thats about all.
Keep us advised by posting the test results and we will tell you when to pull out the shrimp and when to add more.
There are "master" kits but really a waste of money

Well I cut the above from one of my other threads so I have all of this info in one place.

24 hours later after the shrimp were added and it looks like Ammonia is between .50 - 1.0 ppm. My API test kit moves in .25 increments.

Water still a bit cloudy and lights are still resting nicely on the dinning room table. Wife REALLY likes me having this new interest.​

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
How ya like the ai lighting? How long u had em.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

I've only had them for about 2 weeks. The tank is a brand new setup so with absolutely nothing in the tank atm they seem super. With 4 of them running the entire tank is covered and i've only been running them at 80%.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
What I'd like to do is begin creating the water parameters on my smaller tank the same as what my larger tank will be running at. My reasoning is to begin getting used to exactly what and how things need to be done on a routine basis. In case you haven't noticed "Waiting" isn't exactly in my vocabulary.

The only test kit I have is the basic 24.99 4 in 1 kit. The only way I've been raising PH is by adding baking soda when needed.

I'm planning on a water change this week for the small tank and that is when I would like to try and dial in the basics. Most LFS by me aren't exactly what I would call "Super" helpful so I hope no one minds me being such a noob in the a_ s.

I have no idea what additives I should purchase and I really would love to only spend $ on what I need instead of making the mistake of just blanket buying for the sake of having if needed?

Any recommendations would be just duckie!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Well here she is all set up.

Just did another test and my ammonia is now between 1 and 2 ppm. I also did nitrite and it is between .5 and 1.0 ppm.

I'm not sure what the deal is with my camera but you get the idea.

12-29-2011_Front View_450.jpg

This is obv. the front.

12-29-2011_Left Side View_450.jpg
Left side close up.

12-29-2011_Right Side View_450.jpg

Close up of the right side.

12-29-2011_Right to Left Side View_450.jpg

This is the right side of the tank looking at it down the 4 foot side.

Tru2nr

rule of thumb only dose what your testing for....also I would pick up separate test kits for ph, alk, calc, trite, trate, and ammonia at least to start