My 125 Reef Build! Pics included duh!! :D

ReeferClad

This thread is delayed by two weeks or so, been busy working on this tank! To start out with I tore down the 125 gallon tank. When I bought it off of craigslist, the bottome frame was broken(of course I didn't find out until after I payed the guy, the stand had a wood lip which hides the frame of the tank). I took to the lfs and had them put a new frame on.

I stupidly ordered a full blown CUC from reefcleaners.org because I had green hair algae and diatoms growing like wild fire. Dino was growing where the GHA wasn't. I scrubbed all the rock with a tooth brush rinsing between the three thorough scrubs in three totes of saltwater. I put about 50lbs into a 46 gallon tank that I am using as a snail holding tank. For snails I have 30 nerites(lost a few to hermits, going to buy more they are amazing!), well over 100 dwarf cerinths, 55 nassarius snails(5 are tonga nassarius), 38 florida cerinths, and 2 turbo snails. They are doing well with the loss of 10 or so while switching them to the 46 gallon(nassarius snails got to bulk up lol).

A couple of days ago I soaked the 125 gallon tank with a vinegar/water solution to dissolve as much of the diatoms and dead coraline algae as I could. I used 3 gallons of white distilled vinegar and filled it up with water to the point just below where it would start to flow into the overflow boxes. The overnight soak did quite the trick, hardly any diatoms(what is left is for the snails, it won't come off with a razor blade) and no more dead dried out coraline algae.

Today I started painting the back of the tank black. I am using rust-oleum flat black paint as recommended by the Menards worker. He said the latex would peel and scratch easily. Let's just say I am very happy with the way the paint is going on! The first coat did a fairly good job. Paint didn't want to stick in some areas for the first coat. I did a second coat 5 hours later and it looks pretty darn good. I am doing a third coat for assurence. I can't see the paint from the inside on one half of the tank.

I was going to take the baffles out of the sump today and get new ones, but the baffles don't want to come out for me. I guess I will have to wait for my dad to get home. Enough of my rambling, lets do quite a few picture posts!!!

ReeferClad

Tank Before Tear Down:
ReefTank005-1.jpg

Taking it down and 46 gallon holding tank(future QT tank)
ReefTank2002.jpg

ReefTank2005.jpg

ReefTank2006.jpg

ReefTank2003.jpg

Tank before soak:
Soaking013.jpg

Soaking011.jpg

Soaking012.jpg

ReeferClad

After soaking, worked wonders I tell ya, wonders:
PaintingSoaking001.jpg

PaintingSoaking002.jpg

PaintingSoaking003.jpg

Enough vinegar(I got a weird look from the cashier at the grocery store lol)
Soaking009.jpg

After the first coat of paint:
PaintingSoaking004.jpg

After the second coat:
001.jpg

ReeferClad

I guess I should explain what my plans are for the tank. Personally, I like thinking about what this will look like. That seems to be what keeps me going and what makes me want to get this up and running!

So for the support system of this tank: Obviously a 125 gallon tank, 72"x18"x24"(Really wish I went with a 180 for the extra 6" front to back) and the sump, which is a 55 gallon tank becuase that is the biggest tank that fits under the stand. I will be using the overflow drains to feed the ATS(algae turf scrubber, algae scrubber, what ever you want to call it) which will drain into the first section of the sump. I will be running an AqauC EV-180 skimmer, and because it is an external running sump the pump that feeds it will be in the first section. The skimmer will then drain into the second section where I will put a DSB for added nitrate removal and what LR I don't use in the DT for aquascaping. In this section I will also have two pumps for a GFO and Carbon reactor, I am still debating on putting the intake pumps in the first section and draining into the second section like the skimmer. From the second section the water will flow through a bubble trap into the return section, where it will then be returned to the DT.

I have come up with most of the live stock I want in this tank. The list has gotten mixed reviews on other forums including my local club forum, but I would like a third opinion from you guys.

Fish:
2 Black and White Ocellaris Clowns
3 McCosker's Flasher Wrasses(I think the trouble is going to be finding females or three juviniles)
3 Orange-Back Fairy Wrasses
1 Randall's Watchman Goby
1 Royal Gramma
3 Resplendent Anthias(If I have room)
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Azure Damsel
1 Fiji Blue Devil Damsel
1 Red Mandarin
1 Pyramid Butterflyfish
1 Tennenti Tang

Do you guys think I would have room for 3 resplendent anthias?

Inverts/Corals:
3 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
5 Sexy Shrimp
1 Red Banded Pistol Shrimp(for the goby)
1 Anemone(Thought of doing a BTA, but now I am leaning more towards a LTA)
Frogspawn
Hammer Coral
Favites
Trumpet Coral
Elegance Coral
Birdsnest
Acropora
Encrusting Montipora
Maxima Clam

The coral portion of the list may be larger or smaller, but it is my starting point. My plan is not to frag the corals with the exception of trimming to keep them away from their neighbors. For some reason I like the large colonies of corals as opposed to the lots of little corals and frags all the way around the tank on frag racks... Give me your opinions! No inverts but the cleaner and maybe the pistol shrimp will be in the tank until it has been running for 6 months.

ReeferClad

Nice progress and tank cleaning :)

That's definitely a lot of work!

Thanks! This tank was a bad purchase, or at least I payed too much initially for what I am redoing just to get it up again! Not to mention the fact that I am thinking of switching from the current VHOs to LEDs so I can keep SPS, an anemone, and a maxima clam! The LEDs will be controlled by an Apex. Not sure what one to get first...

Here is my to do list before filling the tank up and cycling. Get an RO/DI unit, Redesigning the sump for better filtration and accomodating an ATS, plumbing the drains for an ATS, have to get lights for the ATS, I need to get 2 Koralia 1400 gph powerheads and 2 Koralia 1050gph powerheads in addition to the 2x 750s and 1x 1200 gph Koralia's I have, set up an ATO(manually filling is a pain!), & paint the back(almost done :D).

ReeferClad

Today I took the tape off the edges of the tank and flipped it upright. Looked at it to find that along the top frame the tape was on the glass, so now I have a little strip that I need to go over. After that I should be good! I will post some pictures tomorrow after I hopefully am able to get 5 new acrylic baffles cut at my local glass shop. We will see if I have time to get the new baffles in tomorrow. If not, it will be done by the weekend.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
You'll love your 125 once you get it up and going. Glad you're going with a 55 for the sump, I went with the 40 breeder and I've got it stuffed with stuff.

ReeferClad

The 55 is all that fits under the stand! If I had the room I would do a 75 gallon sump, but the 2x4s that hold the stand are in the way lol! I am really looking forward to just getting the cycle started! I learned my lesson, never buy a complete set up from craigslist. Next build everything will be bought seperatly. Anyone have critizicisms on the stock list??? I would really like to find out if I have room for an anthias trio.

Fish:
2 Black and White Ocellaris Clowns
3 McCosker's Flasher Wrasses(I think the trouble is going to be finding females or three juviniles)
3 Orange-Back Fairy Wrasses
1 Randall's Watchman Goby
1 Royal Gramma
3 Resplendent Anthias(If I have room)
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Azure Damsel
1 Fiji Blue Devil Damsel
1 Red Mandarin
1 Pyramid Butterflyfish
1 Tennenti Tang

Do you guys think I would have room for 3 resplendent anthias?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
In my 125 I have a whopping 3 fish but your plan seems like a load of fish for a 125 to me. I'm not a fan of Damsels either, they are just plain evil. I'm sure somebody that is more into fish can help.

ReeferClad

Lol I know, I like the heavy load though! I think my biological filtration will be able to handle it all because I will have an ATS, a DSB in the sump, and I may very well have a 4" sandbed in the DT if I get a LTA. There are too many fish to only pick the ones that will fit in your tank!

PIMPALA

lookin good! I wouldnt have painted the backs of the overflows, but other than that, looks like its coming along nicely.

ReeferClad

I didn't think of that until the third coat. That is when I said "aww heck with it" lol. Make mistakes, fortunantly this one won't kill the tank!

ReeferClad

I will try it out tomorrow. The paint looks like its on there pretty good, laytex would come off easier though lol!!! I used laytex paint on the walls and the stuff peeled off where the corners met eachother, had to go over it again lol.

PIMPALA

get a can of paint stripper. mask off the painted stuff, and spray, then scrape. goes WAY faster. thats what I did on my 155