Mp10 in RSM250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Is anyone running a Vortech Mp10 in RSM250?

Have been thinking about getting one. I ran a korilla nano for some flow behind rockscape in my 130D & I see lots of members that run thier vortechs at less than full power.

I have been thinking a MP10 ran at near the top end power should do fine in my RSM 250, as I just want to add some more flow, I have lots wavie corals and don't want too much flow really that they won't be happy blown.

Any advise or thoughts for me?
050.gif

I think I can get a MP10 shipped for about $200 & that seems like a good value.

steved13

PREMIUM
Glenn, I run an MP 10 in my 250. It provides quite a bit of movement. I think it's plenty. From what I've read here it seems most run the MP40, but I'm not sure I would like that much flow from 1 location. I know you can turn it down, but if you're going to do that why not have the 10. I will probably get a second MP10 and link them, I'm thinking 1 behind the rocks and one in front on opposite ends anti sync'd.

redsea reefer

I think it will be good in there Glenn. I can't run mine over 60% in my tank. Remember though, rock layout and placement of corals also make a difference in flow.

Max250

Glenn, I'm sure you would be so much happier with the mp40.

I've got both. The mp40's flow is much wider than the mp10s. You can move things on the sandbed with the mp40's undertow, the mp10 struggles (especially if it is fighting against a stock pump). If you are going to stock sps and fish, you might want to have the extra power of the mp40. Just MO ;)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the feedback everyone !

Anyone else have any thoughts?

no right or wrong answers... just taking in all opinions & that just what I am asking for... opinions !

echopiece

Glenn, how much turbulence does the 250 produce in its stock form? Are there a lot of dead spots? I run my mp10 at 70%, much over that and my corals would think its hurricane season! I think the mp10 produces some major flow, granted it may not be as wide as the mp40 but it sure doesnt take up that much space either!

shingo43

Sorry, guys
what is the best price for mp10 es now? I heard people can get it under $180 but I cannot find a place online sell at that price.

fruit bat

I bought the MP40W for our 250, and quite honestly I think I would have been happy if I had got the MP10. We run the 40 on a very low speed so it doesn't cause too much turbulence

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Ray one of RS sponsors... that I have used before http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/tb-aquatics/

has very aggressive pricing & then sells on ebay too... using "best offer" he list mp10 $219 shipped no tax - but I plan to use "best offer", if I order one... as I did when I got my ro/di unit from them.

If someone knows of a better deal let me know...

Thanks for the Feedback Chris !

tnwillia

Hey Glenn, I know a few are using them in 250s. The think that kept me from trying that was the magnet and Vortechs recommendations on tank glass thickness. The 250 glass is on the max thickness for the MP10 magnet unless they changed it. I've read posts here and other places talking about wet sides sliding down the glass. If others are not having any problems that's great! Just my .02. Good luck which ever way you go!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Tom - I remember that thread... was thinking... most were ok, but thanks for bring that up !

Been meaning to tell you, Cool avatar !

lo7100

nanoreefing,

I tried to post the link for you but didn't work. if you want, you can send a PM and I 'll reply.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lo7100 thanks for the link I will check it out and...

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm pretty sure they have changed the magnets. I can't find hte manual for mine but I remember checking to see if I needed the mounting spacer, but for the 250 thickness it wasn't needed, but it wasn't near the max thickess they listed either.

Oakhouse

Glenn, been running the older version in my tank for a while now, bought it just as they brought out the es. It holds fine through the glass, and I run it on about half power, on a short pulse, about 4 inches from the top, about 2 inches in from the front on the right hand side of tank... It produces plenty of turbulence, and I get my "wavie" look. Couldn't justify the extra spend on the bigger pump, and IMO the MP10 produces more than ample flow.