moving anenome

mikesr

I've had this condi anenome for about 6 weeks, He has moved through out the tank for the first 4 weeks.
He'd find a rock, 1-2 days later move.
The last 1 1/2 weeks he's been in the same location, back bottom of tank anchored in the sand.
Is this OK?
I was under the impression they needed to be on a rock.
Color is good,looks healthy, takes food.
All seems well.
Should I leave him be?
Thanks for input

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think as long as he's not in a dangerous spot (like headed for a powerhead or overflow gate) you basically have to let them pick where they want to be today. That's the main reason I don't have one in my tank ;)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

unlike most all corals, nems are going to get up & move to where they decide they like it best... if he got up & moved it was because he was trying to find a place he liked better.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
+2 ^^^

Think of it like this... at night when you're not comfortable you toss and turn looking for that perfect position/spot in the bed. That's what a roaming anemone is doing as well. Hopefully it's found the perfect spot and will do well for you :)

Just make sure you're lights are MORE than adequate and your on top of your game in terms of water quality and husbandry skills :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Do anems attack corals to take their good spot in the tank?

Absolutely they do. A single anemone "roaming" a tank can wreck havoc on every other coral in the tank. Most of the time when it comes to "war time" the anemone wins in a big way.

Tigersref

Dang it. I am new to this hobby and as such was looking forward to at some point get an anemone for my clownfish. So that may not be a good idea?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think having an anemone is fine if your tank doesn't have corals or places where nems can get ground up.
Not many tanks are fail proof for keeping one. They can be a "pain in the tank" but they are BEAUTIFUL.

CarlJ

I'm still going through a bit of it, but basically, don't try to "help" by constantly rearrange things. Anemones are the Sheldon Cooper of your tank; they want water flow, light, food distribution, etc to be just perfect, and then, one day, when they are happy, they'll simply split into two. A bigger tank is better, and they'll never settle down if you don't provide something adequately, including maintenance, and a tank less than 6 mos old is just about guaranteed to be like itchy new bed sheets to them.

Wyspur

Don't worry about it if that is the spot the Conde chose that it where it wants to be. I personally have never seen a Conde on a rock, near rocks but they seem to always populate the sandbedor a piece of glass/acrylic if no bed is present.