Movable Water Storage Container . . .

kathywithbirds

Hose method: OK, but how do you control it?

I see a pump in the trash can with tubing going to the tank, right? So you put the end in the tank and the pump pumps water into said tank. OK, so far so good.

Issues: 30 feet between either me and the plugged in pump (visions of Kathy running to unplug pump which needs to be turned off 10 seconds and/or 5 gallons ago) OR 30 feet between me and the end of the hosing that's suddenly come out of the tank or sump and is spewing water everywhere. I am seeing this as a lot of exercise.

BoomerD

Something like this will work very well:
pvc-ball-valve-fips.jpg

PVC sch40 valves - PlumbingSupply.com

Should be available at Home Depot, Lowes, or any home repair/supply place, or from the link, from Marine Depot, or many other sources.

Witfull

its always wise to listen to your experienced elders,,,,there is a reason we got "smart" (and lazy~) i know BoomerD and i have had our spinal issues and do not lift what we dont have to, and yes, ive had the "there goes my afternoon" impromptu carpet cleaning sessions~

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like Wit's idea is a GO! Grey Brute Trashcan with hose/pump/Emergency Cut off :) Gotcha :)

tbittner

That's what I did and I got tired of it. Rolling the hose out isn't a big deal but rolling it back up with all the water in it is a bit of a pain. I plumbing everything in so it's simply a push of a button now.

tbittner

I also ran an extension cord so I could turn on/off the pump at the tank. When I unwound the hose, I unwound an extension cord with it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's what I did and I got tired of it. Rolling the hose out isn't a big deal but rolling it back up with all the water in it is a bit of a pain. I plumbing everything in so it's simply a push of a button now.

Ultimately when I build the next house that's EXACTLY what I plan to do. :)

kathywithbirds

Ah, gotcha. shut off valve and really long extension cord.

Next question: Will shutting off the valve place detrimental pressure on the pump? It'll be pumping but nothing coming out?

I'd love to retrofit the house but a. it's not ours and b. we're probably moving in the spring. Plumbing has to wait until the retirement house.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Not short term I wouldn't think it would have any affect on it. Long term maybe heat and premature failure but you're only shutting it off for a few minutes then you'll be unplugging it (and it WILL be in a GFCI right?).

Techno-Vicki

We use Jack's DIY auto water changer for more than just mom's tank. We will always keep salt water going in it so that we 'pump' water out of it for 2 other tanks. When we pump it out, we fill 5 gallon (Jack carries them) and Jack holds his finger over the end of the tubing when going from one to the other 5 gal. It works well, and there is always SW for 'emergencies". No wait, emergency, what emergency, those never happen! LOL Anyway, short term is not a problem for the pump. Have fun Allen:)