Movable Water Storage Container . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok here's the plan... well let's do some background first.. .currently I mix my new salt water in a 3gallong bucket in the kitchen (2 1/2 gallons at a time) and it's pretty easy. I heat mix and let it sit a while. Then I simply carry the bucket into the next room and add to the tank (after removing the same amount of course). That's fine for my 10g tank.For my 12g nano tank I do the same but pour the fresh SW into a 5 gallon water closet jug (looks like this but 5gallon 3 Gallon Bottled Spring Water)

Well for my 90g tank, with 29 ga sump, and 12g Fuge the small bucket just wont work. I'm looking for a container that I can mix, heat and "mature" in and then roll it into the tank room (living room about 20' from sink area"). Once the process is done I can roll it away and stow it out of sight.

So what container is viable for this. The kicker is I'll have to leave it in the kitchen for one day in order to get my water before hand. So there will be a 24hr-ish standing period so it needs to be "SAFE" from chemical leaching. I was thinking of one of the Trash Cans with wheels (on a dolly I think) but don't know how SAFE That is for reef water.

Idea?

Suggestions?

Donations? :D

panmanmatt

Use the 40 gallon Brute trash cans, you can also get the wheeled dollys for them also. Those cans are safe to use with SW.

lcstorc

I use a 32g brute trashcan with wheels. I've left NSW in it for over a week without a problem.

goldenmean

Al this is what I use.
It is a food safe 32g Huskee brute that I got through a restaurant supply store.
You can get them in smaller or larger sizes.
Sometimes I will the container into the kitchen to fill over night and other times I use my 5g containers and pour them into the brute.
The brute and lid is not expensive at all. The dolly is around ~40 bucks.
You wont be needing donations for this!

Attachments

• Brute.jpg
    Brute.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 85

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al this is what I use......
You wont be needing donations for this!

Thanks everyone!! I like the ideas proposed. Once I started seeing the "Trach Can" idea I went looking here at my work. We currently sell and have in stock this one

Rubbermaid Rouchneck 33g with wheels
Larger Image | Aubuchon Hardware

Is that comparable to the brute? It's like $15 (My cost) and it's water tight ( I just got back from the bathroom testing it.. NOT like the Witt!! )

:D

panmanmatt

I have never heard or seen of anyone using those ones. I can't tell you how they would compare to the Brutes.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
32 gallon Brute trashcan with the optional wheel cart will work marvelous :) I recommend comparing the two side by side to see which is the most sturdy of the two. But for $15 you can't go wrong :)

tbittner

Those kind of cans tilt back in order to get up onto the wheels.

#1, how full will you be making it?
#2, will you be able to tilt it when it's that full?
#3, will you be able to do all of that without spilling it?

Home Depot and Lowes sell the little square rolling carts that are on four wheels and a trash can fits on it perfectly. There wouldn't be any tilting required. You just grab ahold of it and push or pull. They are really inexpensive too. Or you can build one yourself and build it so the can sits in a holder for it with the base being on four wheels.

Witfull

use a brute and a mag 7 and 30ft of tubing....why roll, lift or carry....mix and store in one area,,,pump it to the needed location.

we work hard in this hobby...work smart, not hard~

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
use a brute and a mag 7 and 30ft of tubing....why roll, lift or carry....mix and store in one area,,,pump it to the needed location.

we work hard in this hobby...work smart, not hard~

Does not compute!! :lol: I like the pump & hose idea.... why didn't I think of that? :lol:

I would only be doing about 13 gallons at a time so tilting shouldn't be an issue and it has a VERY tight fitting lid and here's the lid description Friction-fit lid with handles that lock down provide double security and extra protection against rodents, pets, etc.. I may just make my own dolley or buy one and use a regular trash can. Makes sense unless I do the "pump & tubing method. I'm curious about this "Work Smart" thing... is it a new concept? did you come up with it yourself Wit? :D

Witfull

question one....do you trust advertising propaganda?

Q2,,,,how lazy are you?

Q3,,,,what if it spills?

if you answered these questions whith any answer,,,,pump and hose is your alternative. new from WittyProductions the pump and fill the no hassles and excuses system to keep the wife off your back. would $99.99 be worth it,,,yes,,but in this special offer (with real life experience behind it) you can have all this and years of quiet pleasure (and yakking) for what ever you spend on the Inet~

Witfull

so,,have you secretary go and order you the original Witty hoser system, stop her typing, and get you something better(or stronger) to drink and get her to doing what she should be doing....(i hope wifey doesnt read this)

BarbMazz

Wit, you're very bad~~~~~!

Al, I'm doing the pump the water thing because of my back. Have you seen Woody's system? I'm pretty much stealing it from her (thanks, Woody!). A can for RO/DI & a can for SW.

I'll be pumping it about 70ft from the garage (I have a handy faucet there for the RO/DI unit) to the tank. I'll also use a Python or something to take the water out of the tank; it's just about 30ft from the tank to my kitchen sink.

The thought of a big can tipping over and sloshing 30-40g or more across the hardwood floors just didn't cut it. Seems like more can wrong with a rolling can than with a pump and a hose.

Witfull

im bad? no, smart...and woody stole it from me~

you know that whole magnet and powerhead thing....i posted that in 1999. but who cares...
Witfull said:
work smart~

BarbMazz

im bad? no, smart...and woody stole it from me~

you know that whole magnet and powerhead thing....i posted that in 1999. but who cares...

No, you're bad for that whole secretary thing with Al~~~ <------lol

So I'm really stealing from YOU. I can accept that.

Witfull

im bad, and being stolen from,,,i can live with that,,,,just give me credit for working smart,,,,and being bad~