Monti bleaching

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I added my monti cap last week and I've noticed around it's edges it's turning white and it's over color seems to have faded. It is 11 inches below 6 54 watt t5's a 7 inches from the waters surface. I'm moving it to a lower area in the tank but is there anything else I can do?
Picture quality isn't that great but it should give you an idea

Today
monti2.jpg

Last Week
monti.jpg

It looks fine to me, doesnt look like its bleaching from what i can see. Keep an eye on it, give it a little more flow, and see what happens. I think its more or less just getting used to your water conditions compared to where it came from. Ive had a couple coral change in color a tad bit when going into my tank. And keep it mind, slightly white tips/edges usually mean growth, anything bone white going closer to the body means something is wrong. Best of luck.

dmatt88

Dude. Ur experiencing growth. Good job on caring for water. Edges white = good.

.........yep. I'm a reefer.

dmatt88

PS. Bleaching appears to b happening so that's due to water quality or just plain too high.

.........yep. I'm a reefer.

engineer goby

It looks fine to me, doesnt look like its bleaching from what i can see. Keep an eye on it, give it a little more flow, and see what happens. I think its more or less just getting used to your water conditions compared to where it came from. Ive had a couple coral change in color a tad bit when going into my tank. And keep it mind, slightly white tips/edges usually mean growth, anything bone white going closer to the body means something is wrong. Best of luck.

Thanks
I should change my name to paranoidreefer because I am constantly in my tank testing water, changing water and moving powerheads around.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Make sure you calc and alk are good and lower it some. It will go to a more faded orangish color if getting too much light.

engineer goby

Make sure you calc and alk are good and lower it some. It will go to a more faded orangish color if getting too much light.
Thanks I'm moving him down. Calc is at 440 Dkh has been an issue at 6.4

Listen to JJ pal. He's the reef Whisperer. Move it down. Just for a bit. Oh almost forgot. Keep ur damn hands outta the tank! Haha.

........call me frank.

Matt i've now had my hands in the tank 6 differant times and I'm about to go for # 7

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ahh young paranoid reefer :) One day you'll learn the ways of the reef and NOT stick your hands in your tank 1,000,456 times a day LOL!

It's possible that it's getting too much light and the slight "fading" is the coral self regulating it's Zooxanthellae to the current light conditions. As suggested move it lower and then forget about it for a few days. Don't even look at it LOL!! If it continues to lighten (and take pictures to verify because our eyes are notorious for playing tricks on us) then it is probably a water parameter issue. Whatever changes you make do them "Gently" because in some systems even a drastic change for the good will stress our coral.

Honestly the more you stay out of the tank the better it will be long term. We have this "Nurturing Nerve" that makes us feel like we have to constantly be touching, tweaking, helping our tanks with in fact so long as the tank is within normal params and stable the more "Nurturing" we are the more harm it does. Most of us find that when we take a nice long vacation and come home our tanks look better than EVER!! Go figure :)

Willie McDaries

as already suggested,move it lower in the tank,for 2 reasons,because it does appear to be getting a bit too much light and the white around the edge is a sure sign it is growing,it will get big fast and anything below it will be shaded.....

if you want low light coral and don't have a lot of shaded areas in your rock work,an orange cap will create a nice shade very soon :D

IMG_1617.jpg

about 10 months later....

IMG_2587.jpg