Mod's RSM S500

modulok

So I ordered new T5 bulbs, Red Sea Reef Spec. 2 weeks ago I saw my middle fixture was completely dark, BOTH bulbs were out. I only got them in April. I installed 4 new bulbs in the front fixture (which had 2 working bulbs and 2 dead bulbs). Turn on the fixture and still only the 2 bulbs went on. BUT wow, one white and one blue look fantastic.

Going to take the center fixture out and test the bulbs, any ideas what to look at?

Nob35

Easiest way of finding out is take the working bulbs and move them to the ones not working. If they come on its the bulbs if not leave the working bulbs in and twist them a little at a time to see if its the connection. If they do not try to come on it will probably be a ballast

Choff

Nob is spot on.

7 months is pretty short life for 1 of the bulbs to burn out. Usually at that time the par is significantly lower that you want to replace them.

Are they ATI by chance?

....posted from my phone full of auto correct errors.

modulok

Finally got a chance to remove center light fixture. New bulbs didn't work...so my guess is the ballast is shot. Same thing with two bulbs in the front fixture.

I really want radions...just not sure how I would mount them. I really want the stock look...definitely no hanging lights.

Not ATI bulbs...hexarc and giesemann.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Choff

I was the same way mod. I love the radions, but with their downward facing fans I don't see an easy modication to make them work. Be interested to see if you come up with something.

I'm dumping my Kessils and following me and getting Steves led mod for the center channel.

....posted from my phone full of auto correct errors.

modulok

Well I finally got around to getting two new ballasts and switching them out. I found a like new unit (B254PUNV-D) on ebay that I grabbed for $30 shipped. The ballast is a little longer but still fits in the hood just fine.

So up goes my electric bill and blinding my fish and corals with all of this light. How are the LEDs coming alone for the hood? I really would rather put $300 towards LEDs than 10xhot/expensive bulbs.

oakleyx

It's not much of a project...

I think I will add a valve so I don't have to pull the tee out of the water to break the siphon. Otherwise it was pretty simple. Hook up the end of the hose to a pump and turn it on.
8esypyjy.jpg

Sent from my mobile communication device

Hey Mod,

How do find using that water change tool? I just saw a you tube video on it last night so I decided to build one too. I can't wait to use it.

Dan

modulok

It makes changing ~20 gallons much easier. I'm sure you will love it.

Almost had a fish casualty the other day. I switched on my feeding mode on my controller, like I do every time I feed. It shuts off some equipment, especially the return pump to stop food from going straight into the sump. As the water in the DT lowers and the overflow pipe makes that loud gurgling noise and the return nozzle starts to suck water in, the Starry Blenny decides to nip at the algae on the pipe. Then he goes in it! It's still sucking water down, and I am pretty sure he didn't want to get sucked in.

I waited a minute and the water stopped sucking, and he didn't come out. I looked in the sump and didn't see a shadow in the clearish hose. Worried I would have a fish blockage in the pipe, I turned on the return pump. The fish was spat out of the return nozzle and immediately went into the rocks. I turned the return pump back off. There was a bunch of debris that came out with him. I couldn't see him anywhere. After a few minutes he was perched on a rock looking at me searching for him. He looked ok, but was breathing rapidly. As I started to feed the tank, he came out to eat. The bottom of his tail was a little tattered, but other than that he seems normal.

What are with Blennies? The Starry likes to hide in my Vortech's when they are off, Bicolor likes to sit in the flow pump nozzles when they are off.

Wolffman64

Hi Mod, how's it going and how is your tank?

I copied your siphon idea, and added a ball valve at the bottom so that I can easily swap everything around (changing hoses) when I fill the tank again. It works great, thanks for the great idea!

On another note, are you using Reef Angel controller? (sorry, can't remember if you talked about it earlier). I have just spec'ed my RA equipment through help in their forum, and there I saw a user in there called "modulok", and wondered if that was you?

modulok

Yup that's me on the RA forum too. I've had the RA+ since Nov 2012.

I can't take full credit for the water change siphon tool idea. Saw something similar on youtube a made a trip to Home Depot.

Tank is going ok, still need to weed the stoopid xenia that's growing like crazy. Wish I never put that into the tank.

Wolffman64

Yup that's me on the RA forum too. I've had the RA+ since Nov 2012.

I can't take full credit for the water change siphon tool idea. Saw something similar on youtube a made a trip to Home Depot.

Tank is going ok, still need to weed the stoopid xenia that's growing like crazy. Wish I never put that into the tank.

Cool!

I'm using Wolffman64 in there as well, but I only have one "thread" so far, asking for advice re equipment.

If I may ask, what RA equipment do you have, and what are you controlling, setup etc?

Are you happy with it? I'm very impressed with what you can do, so I'll place an order soon.

modulok

I'm pretty sure I posted what I am controlling in the thread here. Use the search thread and look for Reef Angel.

I started with the RA plus, exp relay box, and wifi. I added usb exp so I could add the RF module for controlling Vortechs last October or so.

modulok

Can't believe I haven't posted in over a year....

Not really sure how much detail I can remember, but I have lost some fish. Some fish just suddenly vanished, and I found my Flameback Angel and Blue Tang on the sand bed. But somehow both Blennies (Starry & Bicolor), Banggai Cardinal, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and Tiger Pistol Shrimp just went missing. Never saw a body or piece of one...very strange!

I was a pretty lazy reefer for a few months, not changing water regularly or taking care of stuff like I should have been. Had some algae issues (probably due to laziness and possibly dead fish), but keeping up on water changes and adding some Purigen and Chemi-Pure Elite had to help a bunch. Also had a ton of the tiny Astera Starfish, but I've been plucking them out and its slowly getting better.

My Purple Montipora plate coral got uncontrollable humongous! It started as a frag maybe 2 inches in diameter. Less than 2 years it was easily 14-16 inches long, and 12 inches wide, 8 inches deep. It was stealing light from every coral below it. I had to break it up to get the coral and rock it grew onto out of the tank. Also have been starting to weed Pink Xenia coral...hopefully I can completely remove that as well, it takes over so fast and doesn't look that pretty IMO.

Another coral that is out of control is my first frag, Frogspawn. Started with one head, now its impossible to count. It finally broke off the frag plug (lots of weight on one little branch). It even dropped me a frag as it fell. Soon I will remove it and make some frags up.

Currently the fish I have are 2x Pink Skunk Clowns, 2x Wheeler Gobies, Orchid Dottyback, Flame Angel, and Melanurus Wrasse. Inverts I have a bunch of tiny to medium hermits, Pencil Urchin, RBTA, Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp, Blood Shrimp, and of course some snails.

I just placed an order for more fish, Yellow Tang, Banggai Cardinal, Flame Hawkfish, Starry Blenny, Midas Blenny, and Six Line Wrasse. Was planning on doing a small rockscape change, I will take before & after photos.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hey Mod great to see you back on RS !

sorry to hear about the fish losses, but glad to hear it your getting back on top of it :clownfish:

Sounds like some nice new fish coming too !