Mod's RSM S500

modulok

So ReefCleaners made a mistake and shipped order this week instead of next. So this Thursday snails, next Thursday fish and inverts.
By the weekend I am going to remove some rocks and coral, and make some space for the nem.

I am looking at getting one, possibly two, MP40s. Shouldn't have sold the one I had, but looks like I can get them about the same price as I sold, so no loss there. I will have to add the Reef Angel addon for controlling the MP40(s). If I wind up with two of them, I will dial down the 3xflow pumps and see how it goes. Not sure if I can leave them off and still keep the flow pump chamber water level where it should be.

byronredsea

You can turn them down but you do you will have to dial you over flow back in just turn them of and see what happens to your water hight .
Jason

Wolffman64

Can I ask why you want to install MP40 and not use the built in circulation pumps? Are the standard not good enough, or is it because you want to create m ore of a variable flow and waves etc?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm just starting to get a bit nervous about the arrival of my own tank next week, when everyone with RSM500 and 650 are mod'ing their tanks so much (skimmers, return pumps, circulation pumps, LED lights etc). I thought I spent all this money on a complete setup....

byronredsea

Jan i have one for if the power goes off it has a back up power sup the LEDS im going to wait for red sea to release something and every one loves to MOD there Car tank is no different

modulok

I had one with my 250, and used it for a month or two with the 500. I sold it and bought the RA controller. Now I want to add the RA addon to control the MP40. It is definitely ok to use the stock flow pumps, but they can't be controlled (besides intermitten on/off which they are not designed for).

modulok

So I put the skimmer back in tonight, and it's extremely noisey. Before I remove the whole skimmer and check everything, anyone have a quick tip why its like this now? Sounds almost like the pump is dry.

[video=youtube;aUBLPfoGSCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUBLPfoGSCY[/video]

modulok

Yeah, I guess tonight I will remove the pump and open it up again, ugh...

Bought two MP40s...Next thing is to buy the RF addon for controller, then decide how I want the intensity, flow, etc to change throughout the day. Then writing it into my current program and testing it all out.

On another note, will this work without glue on the return nozzle? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/schedule-80-45-elbow-slip-x-slip-1.html I might get the 90deg also and see which one I like better.

Choff

So some of the mods because it's fun to MOD, not because it life and death necessary.... lol

I think you need to add flow if you believe in the accepted turnover rates to have SPS. RS claims total flow is just under 4k gph for the 650 which gets you about 25x

You generally want 50x+ for SPS, many go 75. It's why I added the mp40. Outside of that all the other mods I made are just because.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

modulok

Spent the last hour trying the skimmer pump without much luck. It seems to be vibration noise, but IDK why! When I run the pump not attached to skimmer tower its resonably quiet, just lots of bubbles.

Any suggestions?

Wolffman64

Hey Mod, I've started to look into controllers (I know, I haven't even started the tank yet....) and I'm very interested in the RA you bought. When you have a minute, would you mind listing which components you bought and what you use them for? You still have with the unit?

modulok

Just attached the dual MP40s. I had a decent sized barnacle that is a home to my BiColor Blennny and a feather duster. It was about 6 inches from the MP40 and it was rocking back and forth. The Blenny was inside it with his head peaking out, and a look of WTF. I moved it to the middle for now, and he's cleaning his room (diving into a hole head first and coming back out with a mouthful of debris.

Tomorrow I will hopefully get to get the MP40s hooked up with the controller.

Choff

That's alotta flow you just added. Been thinking about a 2nd one myself, but can't bring myself to put out the 500 for another one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

modulok

Well I did turn down the 3 flow pumps, so they should be a little weaker in flow and let the MP40s do their thing.

I got both used, so it wasn't TOO BAD. Although knowing that I don't need to add anything else to control Ecotech Radions isn't helping my pockets :dunno:

I definitely have to redo some rocks tonight. I am dreading it, but I know after it will be better.

modulok

Yeah, you can turn the dial and close up the intake openings...its something. Take a look next time you clean one of them.

modulok

So the nem has moved a little more. Clowns still are unaware...
sajyteje.jpg