Minicrazy's other FW Builds/Tank things

Speaking of eggs, one of the ghost shrimp is carrying eggs! I'm super excited! :nekid:

In other news I sexed the baby guppies that are old enough. There are 8 and 5 are males. I put the males in the 10g and left the females in the plant growing tank. It's too early to tell the coloration of the males, but what little is there is a bright orange color.

I haven't ever updated on the vase since I made it. Here's how it is currently.

100_0224.jpg

A betta is going to be calling it home soon I think.

And tonight I rescaped the 10g. Pics coming tomorrow.

Val

I think the vase looks great! You are a bad influence on me I want you to know that. If I wasn't getting a reef tank set up right now I'd be pulling my glassware collection down and starting mini tanks all over the place.

It's been a while since an update so here you go:

I got a Betta and some ghost shrimp for the vase. He loves just laying in the plants. I'm have a bit of an algae problem as there's high lighting and zero CO2 dosing. I'm thinking of just throwing some Seachem Excel in there as a solution.

100_0257.jpg

100_0258.jpg

100_0281.jpg

100_0282.jpg

100_0284.jpg

100_0285.jpg

100_0304.jpg

100_0305.jpg

100_0306.jpg

100_0307.jpg

100_0308.jpg

100_0309.jpg

100_0310.jpg

These are some of the male Guppies. They have the same coloration as my scissor tail in the 55g. I'm hoping at least one's tail does the same. :)

100_0241.jpg

100_0242.jpg

100_0246.jpg

Lastly anyone want my old moss wall? It's almost grown in for the most part now.

100_0225.jpg

Long time no see everyone.

I wanted to do an update as I will be moving the tanks in a day to my parent's house for the summer. Here's how the tanks look currently.

10G:

As usual, please excuse my iPhone pics.

IMG_2094.jpg

I did a bit of rearranging and trimming a few weeks ago. I got rid of whatever those leafy plants were and planted them in the vase. I then separated and moved the giant hair grass to create more of a canopy look like in the 5g before I sold it. Everything is still growing in, so it still doesn't look as I planned, but it will soon enough.

4G vase:

Taken right after cleaning.

IMG_2092.jpg

You may notice it's quite a bit different than before, well that's because I made a fatal beginners error and did it to almost all of my tanks. Basically I bought some liquid algae remover that I though was liquid CO2 like Excel sells. It made sense in my head, CO2 kills algae, so an algae killer is liquid CO2. Boy was I wrong. I first noticed it in my moms mother's day present. The small Cherry shrimp I had put in there died after about 3 days of refusing any kind of food or algae. At the time it didn't strike me as strange, I just figured he got stressed, etc from the move. Then I noticed the vase seemed funny. The color had a strange tint and the fish and shrimp stayed at the top of the water. There were empty snail shells lining the base of the vase. Further more, the plants I pulled out of the 10g were melting and the duck weed in all of the tanks was dyeing off, something that has happened before, it was always quite the opposite normally. Once again I just shrugged it off as "eh it will clear up on it's own." Well my eyes finally opened when I started loosing shrimp left and right in the 10g. They were the ones closest to the dosing I was doing as they were on and in the grass with the algae I was trying to clear up. So I did massive water changes in everything that had been dosed with this stuff tonight, vaccumed, and have my fingers crossed that everything turns out right. I lost all of the plants in the vase minus the bamboo and a total of 7 shrimp out of all of the tanks.

I would like to mention this is only the second time I have EVER vacuumed my tanks. I have found that with the amount of shrimp and snails? I have there never is any kind of waste just sitting around. I very rarely have dead plant matter either. However I did it tonight because of the massive die off of the vase. That water smelled of something foul in the bucket.

My mother's day present:

IMG_2096.jpg

I need to take out some sand, there's a tad bit too much.

PEMfish

Wrong! CO2 is NOT an algae killer.
It can increase plant growth to a point where the plants out compete the algae for nutrients but it wont directly kill algae.