Minicrazy's other FW Builds/Tank things

Yup, these little suckers:

triops_12.jpg

Rearranged things in the 2.5g. Moved the pump down, found a bigger rock buried in the sand to keep the Riccia from floating, moved the CO2 air stone, cleaned, and trimmed. Anyone know of a good way to get rid of algae off of the tank without scratching it?

IMG_1224.jpg

Also once the first of the month comes, the 10g will have a UV Powerhead and a canister filter with DIY lilies.

PEMfish

Nice pics! Nice looking tank too.

The easier the algae scratches off the easier to find a suitable method to remove it with out scratching the tank. Try the 'algae pads', they make some that are safe for acrylic. If that doesn't do ( it should ) then try googling it to see what others have done. Any solid object ( such as a credit card or razor blade ) will scratch the tank.

So I bought the UV powerhead Tuesday afternoon. Here's the un boxing of it. I have to say it's not a very powerful power head, it kinda just blows out. Anyway here's some pics of it and the tank's conditions when I put it in.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

100_0106.jpg

100_0108.jpg

100_0110.jpg

100_0111.jpg

100_0113.jpg

100_0114.jpg

100_0115.jpg

100_0130.jpg

100_0134.jpg

After a water change and a few hours later. Still a little foggy, but MUCH better.

100_0155.jpg

100_0156.jpg

100_0157.jpg

PEMfish

Yeah, Iv been looking at that for awhile. Just how long do you expect that glass and silicone to last?
You cant just pop the frame off and have a rimless tank, no thats not how it works. Theres a reason thats was on there, that tank was not designed to live without the support.

On a tank that small that top rim isn't doing anything for support. It's a very discussed topic on planted tank forums and everyone has come to the conclusion that it's not the best method, but on 10g and below there's no threat of leaks or falling apart like you would have to worry about on a larger tank. I left the bottom rim on for looks and piece of mind.

See here: removing tank trim - DIY Aquarium Projects - Aquatic Plant Central

And here: http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/How_to_Remove_the_Rim_off_a_Standard_Rimmed_Tank.pdf

Is that a good or a bad thing? :)

I trimmed the 10g for the first time tonight. I moved around stuff a little too, I'll add some pics tomorrow sometime. I'm a little iffy on how it looks right now, so there's a good chance the middle of the tank is going to be rearranged.

Mochiball

Wow I really like your tanks! Especially the one with the Rummy nose tetras in it! Keep up the good work, anymore update pics?

Thanks! I'll snap some tomorrow and get the last ones of the 2.5g. I sold it since I don't have room for it over the summer. I was really hoping someone wanted the 10g since the 2.5g is my favorite, but whatever. :(

It's going to a fellow reefer. This is going to be his first planted tank and he wanted to learn first before going out and buying a big tank only to mess it up. So it's for a good cause I guess, but I'm still going to be sad. On top of that I sold my 20g SW tank today to a friend and moved everything into the new 5g. My apartment is going to see empty come tomorrow.

Mochiball

Oh no! sorry to hear about that. Whats gonna be in the 5gal? I've been trying to restart my 29 gal and its getting a lot of brown algae!!!

Oh and yes the 2.5g is officially gone as of 10am this morning.

Some last pics.

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

Taking out some of the water for transport

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

Ready to be brought to its new owner.
IMG_1367.jpg

Yup. I deem it my first successful planted tank. Minimal algae growth, pleasant looking, amazing plant growth, and plain simple. I'm really going to miss walking in and seeing it. I think I may sell the 10g as well. I don't know yet. Bright side is after both tanks sold I had $110 to go towards new things. Lets say another $130 with all of the equipment in the 10g and $240. Then if I sell my fixture off the 10g hopefully that's another $100. $340 is a lot for a broke college student. :updown:

I think I'm going to try to sell the 10g as well and see who wants it. I'm going to price it high as that's the only way I'm going to get rid of it. Here's some pics since it's first trimming. :)

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

I just realized while on plantedtank.net that I haven't ever updated the Triop's status in awhile. Well, there's only one left. The 6 or so I had kinda disappeared into separate tanks. I had 3 in the vase you see on the first page, 1 in the 10g, and 2 in the plant growing tank. The 3 on the vase were the only ones that remain. I didn't find any remains or I have no clue what happened to them. The 3 slowly dwindled to 1 who now lives in the 10g. He eats the algae the shrimp won't touch and eats small snails and snail eggs for the best I can tell. He's left my fish, shrimp, and plants alone for the most part. Although he runs into all 3 quite often as he's not the most graceful swimmer. :dunce:

Mochiball

Cool I have a pack of Triops that I have yet to get started LOL...they probably dropped a lot of eggs in the sand...