Minicrazy's FW 55g Build

PEMfish

That bush of apparently stemmed plants in the back center-right is going to look good when it matures.

So now that I'm home for spring break I've been able to look at the tank. The plants are struggling to say the least. So this made me investigate the CO2 system. It ain't putting out squat! So the DIY route we are going tomorrow.

Today I set up one of my spare tanks to put all of the females in, I'm tired of my guppie population doubling ever 2 months. :lol:

When there's a cloud of guppies in your tank, I think there's enough. :p You're welcome to all the free females you want Eric. Some even come with free bonuses! :lol:

While going through my RC stuff I found fitting to make the CO2 system with. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

PEMfish

So now that I'm home for spring break I've been able to look at the tank. The plants are struggling to say the least. So this made me investigate the CO2 system. It ain't putting out squat! So the DIY route we are going tomorrow.

Today I set up one of my spare tanks to put all of the females in, I'm tired of my guppie population doubling ever 2 months. :lol:

You wouldn't just want to fix the one you have?

It doesn't put out enough CO2 for the tank. It's one of those pre-made yeast CO2 systems. I got it thinking it's simple enough for my Dad to handle and that kinda backfired.

When the tank is moved into the new house in May, I'm going to be doing some overhauling with the whole thing.

Tank survived the move! As did all of the inhabitants. I snapped a pic before we put it in the car.

photo-18.jpg

One of the Amanos is prego. I can't wait to see if any survive.

The tank is going to undergo a complete redo this summer. It's basically going to become a wall divider for the hall and living room. The design is going to be similar to my 10g with one end having the equipment hidden behind plants.

Well the Amanos are doing great. The shrimp are still on their mother dangling waiting to be dropped eventually. I have her in my 10g fry raising tank full of java moss in the hopes they will cling onto it till they can properly swim on their own.

bbe22

Hey Minicrazy,

I noticed you were using one of those (can't remember the name brand) co2 systems. Those are basically diy that don't work. The secret ingredients in those packs are sugar pellets and yeast pellets. The diffuser doesn't work either. It runs on the notion that if bubbles are slowed in their ascent the co2 will have more time to diffuse. While this is true, you will find a good glass diffuser will serve much better, as many more micro-bubbles will diffuse more rapidly. In that pre-made system, the co2 bubbles don't really have any interaction with open water. I made a diy that is really pretty effective, but instead of using a 2 liter bottle I went with a thick walled gatoraide bottle, ample teflon tape, and gas line tubing into a diffuser. Just be sure to buy plenty of yeast and sugar, and find the mixture that is appropriate for the size bottle you end up with. Also, don't forget to add a check valve in between the bottle and output. I'd be prepared to replace the sugar/yeast/water mixture every third day, while giving it a good spin/shake at least twice a day in between. I put mine together for a few bucks. The yeast is the most expensive part. If I didn't have so much money tied up in other things I'd love to upgrade to a real pressurized system. However, this little home made system has served me well. Hope it helps, your tanks look good.

bbe22

Gotcha, makes sense. Glad the move worked out well, it's always nerve-racking. I've done it more than I like to admit.