Minicrazy's FW 55g Build

Thanks

I got a call from my Dad just now, he's ready to add fish. I guess he doesn't understand the whole point of the dry method. :smack:

I told him he has to wait a few more weeks. :)

I think parents have this inbuilt need to listen to you explain something 100 times and then totally disregard what you said because THEY ARE YOUR PARENTS! My mother does it too lol

Plants in the 55g have been doing good so I am told. My Dad wants to buy some more dwarf hair grass to get a thicker carpet quicker. The dwarf baby tears I have heard are growing like crazy, I can't wait to see some pics.

As for my 2.5g I've been experimenting. First I've messing around with my CO2 set up and came up with a better solution. I now have a vitamin water bottle sealed up with silicon and a new recipe that has lasted 2.5 days so far at a constant rate as compared to my earlier recipe that only lasted 1.5 days with bubbles dwindling within the first 6 hours. One thing that has be slightly worried is my CO2 level. It's currently sitting at 32 ppm right now. If it stays there I have no qualms, but if it elevates past 35 ppm that is way more than I am comfortable with. I've read that with a high light set up, which I think mine qualifies for, 30 ppm is the average. My Coralife CF fixture is 18 watts, so divide by 2.5 that is roughly 7.2 watts/g. My fish seem fine at this CO2 level, they're not doing anything that they normally don't do. The plants that were in the tank before as growing like crazy and have been greening up tremendously as compared before I had my CO2 system. :)

New bottle:
photo2-1.jpg

Before CO2
photo4.jpg

After a weeks worth of CO2 and new plants
photo3-1.jpg

I've also gotten some new plants, driftwood, wrapped my filter in java moss, bought some more ghost shrimp, and messing around with the tank in general.

The new plants seems to be doing fine. I've had them in the tank for 2 days with them greening up since I got them. I bought some Wisteria and Peacock ferns from Petco since my LFS doesn't really have any FW plants I deem pleasant looking.

I bought 5 ghost shrimp to add to my 3 currently in the tank. I lost one within the hour of getting it home. I think it got hurt by the Petco guy. It hopped on the floor after he caught it and he had a hard time picking it up. :( Anyway I got more not only because they add more activity to my tank, but they also are helping create competition for food making the shrimp eat the algae that accumulates on the plants that the 3 just weren't getting. I've noticed depending on when and where I got them they have different colorations. My ones from Petsmart are completely clear with a little yellowish tint to them. The first ones from Petco are a slight white color. As for the second set, they came out of two tanks. One with black gravel and the other with white. Their colorations correspond with their gravel color kinda weird and cool at the same time.

With the rearranging I didn't do much, just made room for the drift wood and moved my rocks I had in the tank. One thing about this is tank is I'm going for lush, not exactly looks. It's hard to aquascape a 2.5g IMO, you just don't have room to do anything with it. When I was rearranging I was amazed at the root systems my plants have developed. Their root growth have given me a new found confidence that I'm doing something right. :)

photo-1.jpg

I'm having fun with with the Java Moss. I had some left over from the wall and decided to cover the pump with it. It will be pretty cool looking once it is grown out and it will match the wall too! Which has taken off like crazy BTW.

photo-2.jpg

Sorry for the horrible iPhone pics as always

So I was wondering why my Peacock fern wasn't doing too well, I found out after some googling, they are not aquatic plants! So Petco strikes again! :(

I drove to Houston today to go hunting on Sunday. I'm going to flood the tank tomorrow and install the pump. Tonight though I replanted some stuff. I also added a few small guppies and shrimp to see how the water parameters are, aka guinea pigs. It's pretty cool to see them dart across the water surface. :)

The plants are good. The dwarf hair grass has lots of runners. The baby tears and micro sword is the same. The ludwigia has gone to town. The water clover is ok. Plenty of new growth, but there's a few dead strands. All and all it has turned out well.

The water is kind of cloudy from the rearranging and replanting.

DSCN1045.jpg

DSCN1035.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1037.jpg

DSCN1038.jpg

DSCN1040.jpg

DSCN1041.jpg

DSCN1043.jpg

DSCN1044.jpg

It wouldn't let me edit the original post, so.......

Last night was interesting. This is my first canister set up and it took me a little bit to figure out. I had it backwards the first time. After I switched the hoses it worked just fine. The CO2 system and the heater were hooked up after the filter was up and going.

That afternoon I picked up some more dwarf baby tears and micro sword to fill in a few bare spots. Also I was able to find some Amano shrimp! So I bought 3 and they are doing well. The guppies are doing well too. My prego had her 5th batch today after being added. Unfortunately, she died shortly after giving birth. I don't know how many she had since she was in the dwarf baby tears.

I had to replant a few things after filling it up, but other than that it was smooth sailing. The water is still a little cloudy courtesy of the Flourite. It should be clear in a few days.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
My phone won't load the last few pictures on this page, guess it's an overload :) ;(

Bet it looks good though :)

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Figures I trip the new page lol hey post that last picture again, I wanna see ;)

Thanks

Well look what we have here......

DSCN1048.jpg

DSCN1049.jpg

DSCN1050.jpg

I can see from the pics that the tank is a little out of whack. I guess it will give me something to do during spring break. :smack: