Mike's rsm 130d tank thread

Mike1965

Hey all,

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a rsm 130d to get back in the hobby after a 15 year hiatus! Couldnt be happier that I did, forgot what I was missing :eek:lsmile:. I was about 3 weeks into it before I found this forum so my thread wont be from the very very beginning. Before I start, I just want to say that several people here have gone out of there way to help me through some stumbling blocks and a big thanks!

The 130d was brand new when I bought it and I have added a few things. It now has a JBJ mini artica 1/15 chiller (gets hot in Florida!), a tunze ATO, a turboflotor blue 500 skimmer, and a StevieT media rack.
chiller: I kind of knew before even buying the tank, that I was going to probably need a chiller and so far couldnt be happier with the JBJ. When I was in the hobby 15 years ago, I lived in the same house I still do and the tank is in the same room. Back then I had a hard time keeping it below 80 but is was a fish only tank. I knew I wanted a reef tank this time so went ahead and purchased it.
ATO: What a nice addition! It is really nice keeping the same water level without worrying in case I am out of town for a few days. Plus just makes the skimmer consistently work at same rate.
Mediarack: Thumbs up to Stevie. Nice quality and reasonably priced. I have the skimmer mounted to the rack.
Skimmer: I first worked with the stock but between noise (I did do pill bottle mod) and reading on it, I decided to try a euro reef from globe aqua (yes notice I didnt say turboflotor). From day one of euro reef, my tank just looked like a snow globe. I must have read literally 4 hours of forum post. I tried this, that, everything from position of skimmer to what kind of food I feed! Last weekend, as I watched my beautiful snow globe, I finally decided ENOUGH! I just simply turned it off and started researching again for a good replacement. I noticed Tammy had what sounded like identical problems I was having and gave her a pm and asked what she recommended. She let me know how happy she was with the turboflotor. I then found several post from other very qualified members who also suggested turboflotor. So Monday I ordered the turboflotor for 70 dollars less then the euroreef!. I had it in tank this past weds and by thursday zero mb's and already pulling a nice skimmate. I cant wait to see what it does when even more broken in! What a great purchase, just wish I did it from start as it appears I am now stuck with the ER. I have emailed globeaqua asking for refund and even offering a restocking fee. All I got was more emails about it is doing what it should and maybe cut back on feeding fatty foods if I was. My last email just simply asked if they would or wouldnt offer me to return it. Its been dead silence so far :down:
Enough on that bad situation.

So here I am 6 weeks after purchase. Here is a shot of tank.

5f5de8c9.jpg

Obviously a work in progress but have several frags and a clown and wrasse. Everything seems to be very happy!
I will post some other shots of frags in further post but figured this was a good start. Sorry if long winded, I had 6 weeks to make up for! lol

Mike1965

Boy looking at pics, probably can easily tell they were taken with my phone (iphone4s).. I guess my next investement needs to be a descent camera.!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers Mike for starting a tank thread & sharing pics & your journey with us !
1085.gif

Congrats on the new RSM 130D, looks like you are off to a great start - pretty corals & fish :)

Sorry to hear about your trial with the euro reef skimmer, sad to say your not the 1st - but congrats on the turboflotor, I have been reading pretty good reports on it, good luck with it & let us know how is does as it breaks in.

PS don't give up on your iphone 4 pics... check out this thread & my pics in it with my iphone 4 http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/off-topic/72910-new-iphone-4s.html

Mike1965

Thanks Glenn!

Really nice pics in that thread. But first I need to figure out how to even get to the Camera settings! Lol

Mike1965

Figured I would post one more pic. These 2 guys came with a piece of live rock. There were smaller when I first got them several weeks ago. They have grown some since!

a8ab279e.jpg

Mike1965

Here is a pic I took of the turboflotor 500. When the pic was taken it had only been in service for about 20 hours. Lighting doesn't really show it but the skimmate had a good medium green color to it..

As I said before, just wish I could go back and bypass the whole globeaqua ER experience.
33c655e6.jpg

Dweezil

Hi Mike,
Wanted to stop in and check out your tank thread. I'm glad you like the new skimmer. Great start on the tank! :)

jake9015

Hey mike! Sorry to hear about the euro reef skimmer.... I don't know what was going on:(. Anyways hope the turboflotor is working out well for ya:) any word on that Kalk dispenser for your ATO?

Mike1965

Hey Jake,
No I haven't researched it much so far but now that I have a happy tank, it is on my list of things to research! Right now I got my eye on a mp10 ! :)

Wife is out all day which gives me a great excuse to head over to Tampa to "browse" through some lfs's ! :fingerx:

Mike1965

Forgot to include a cabinet pic in case anyone wants to know how I did the chiller and Ato container. Works great and still leaves plenty of room for the nic nacks.

0127f249.jpg

Mike1965

Thanks Glenn

I took the plunge and purchased a mp10 yesterday ! Have it installed but so far have only run it in reef crest mode. Lots of choices but playing with height and front to back position. I would like to move it toward back more but concerned that might limit its performance?
Here is a side shot of tank showing where I have controller and power head. The little black box next to controller is a digital temp that monitors the temp inside cabinet since the chiller is located in there.

a2068798.jpg