Microbubbles in your RSM? Check here!

Ashr

I have so many tiny bubbles in my tank for the last couple days. I have tried everything above and still have them! Im doing a overhall on my tank when I get home. 30% water change, cleaning everything!!!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Have you taken the Tunze apart to be sure everything is OK inside and that the airline hasn't come loose or is kinked? Is it skimming?

Ashr

It is skimming but not as good as it was. When I get home tonight and work on my water change and QT tank I will remove the skimmer and check all the insides!

Ashr

I checked everything but the two pumps.. but yes I am still getting hella bubbles in my tank :( they are shooting out very fast as well.. not just a little bit.

Edit: I checked again and it looks like they are coming from the skimmer... grrr

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
if you want to try something that has worked for many & may help... try this... check flow & water levels...

remove all your filters & chemical media, fill tank up to where the water level is touching the hood hinge trays... that the hood hinges sit in... that way up there... and put your surface skimmer cup in main tank 1/2" from the top height & then adjust it while you watch... up to 1/8" from the top & see if this helps...

if I do the opposite... of the above... I can create consistent micro-bubbles, doing the above, I never have them...

Hope this helps... if not... guess, it's skimmer related & I have never had any micro-bubbles related to my stock skimmer...

Bathtub

Finally all bubbles gone and much higher flow!
Ditched existing power heads and dropped in 2x eheim mini 600's
Ditched stock skimmer and fitted tunze 9002
Made my own media basket to hang skimmer on.
No bubbles at all- even with variable flow eheims wide open....
Happy boy...

Well glad to hear that has worked above, I have just ordered a Eheim 1000 to fit instead of the two return pumps with a Y connector.

grover

hi guys,
am new to the forum but have been reading as a guest for quite some time. My RSM is two years old and after fighting with the skimmer for a similar amount of time, I decided to throw out the stock skimmer and go for the Tunze 9002. I put the magnet inside the power cord area, so its all the way on the right size of the overflow. After all the positive reviews i've seen on the website here i decided to invest the money in the Tunze. So far a few mm of foam in the neck, but no real skim yet, so lets wait and see afte a few days. I like that its very quiet and compact. I dont have to make any holes in the cover, the skimmer is low enough in the tank for me to close. Just had to cut off one of the ribs in the underside of the cover, so it closes properly. Also have a nice space now for my hoses for my chiller and my Eheim filter, so thats an added bonus. Otherwise the RSM works fine. I added two rows of blue LED's that come on before/after the main lights, which is something i was missing on the stock model. Anyway, thanks to all members for the "one stop solution website", i learnt a lot so far! :fingerx:

Hans.

shingo43

Hi, Guys
I have a questions, I am not sure if I have microbubbles or some small particles in the tank, the water does not look crystal clear, I am using 9002 filter and media rack, when I stopped all pumps I see many small white things float in the water, how to get rid of them and get crystal clear water?

shingo43

I have a white filter pad which I got free from the guy sold me the media rack, not sure if it is fine filter, since I am in Canada and the shipping is too much for the Intank Filter floss, do you guys have any other recommendations for the filter floss?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You probably have the correct thing. I got a big roll of the stuff on Ebay at a nice price & just cut pieces to fit. Rather than rinse every 2-3 days I would just thow it out. The pad does degrade after a while and after rinsing a couple times. You can never quite rinse all of the gunk out of it either.

Your local LFS in Canada may have something similar.

If you search Ebay Canada for "Pond Filter Pad" you'll find some:

Pond Filter Pad

Unfortunately it looks like it ships from the US, but a 10 foot roll lasts a long time!

shingo43

Thanks, Terry.
I have a few(one pound) pieces of live rock rubble underneath the water pump, do you think I should take them all out?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks, Terry.
I have a few(one pound) pieces of live rock rubble underneath the water pump, do you think I should take them all out?

Just my opinion, but I would take them out. Things down at the bottom of the chambers can collect a lot of debris and turn into nitrate generators.

hejthree

I also was having a problem with water flow through to my pumps. The water level was getting lower and lower in the pump chamber. I needed to change my carbon and had forgotten that I had the biological filter material (ceramic) pouch in that chamber. It was EXTREMELY dirty and I am sure this was the cause of my flow problems. I see many of you say that you don't use the bio material at all. My question is: If the bio material has a lot of "gunk" on it it seems to be serving some purpose. May I assume that if the bio material is removed the skimmer and the black sponge will have to do "more" in collecting the gunk? I should say that for the first several months my protein skimmer was not operating properly (my ignorance) and perhaps this was why there was so much detrius accumulated on the bio material. I have cleaned off as much of the gunk from the bio material packet and am ready to place it back in the chamber if needed. I would appreciate any responses. The larger issue (in my mind) is why would RSM supply a material that is apparently not needed? As an aside, my water levels have been perfect all along. Thanks, Harvey