Michael's 250 Since Oct 2012 ****************Caution, Heavy pictures loaded**********

I bought my rsm250 Jan this year, but never opened until Sep, because I was planning on moving somewhere else, so I didnt bother setting it up and moving the whole tank.
So I got my 250 started in Oct,so its been on for about 1 month and half. 3 times water change during the cycle,and did a water test 2days ago.Everything was looking good, was told.
Ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
Ph 7.8 (dosed little more afterward)
Live rock 40lbs, Live sand 60lbs

Here is a pic when I added live rock and sand into the tank
8B3FAC21-DEAA-4EB1-BEBB-DC7F4CB2F090-9465-000010D84B8F83B1.jpg

The Tank when the Brown Algae is growing after 2 weeks of tank setup, I did 2 water changes after, brown algae is almost gone now
2C4A6134-F398-4D42-ABF4-3A3412E570B7-9465-000010D8524BA493.jpg

My friend gift me 2 Yellow long nose butterfly fish, I wasnt really plan to get them cuz I will have corals and stuff, but I cant really say no to my friends, so I had to put them into my tank. The pic was taken when they were in the bag they brought, I will try to get a better clear pic.
ABF0DAEC-4CDA-4A17-92AE-6DB5580710FA-9465-000010D871F70387.jpg

Last edited:
1,Has anyone had trouble with the flow? Because my sand is too fine and smooth, so they got flip over over and over. Can I use flow splitter to divide, but will it cause the flow in the chamber to decrease?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats on the RSM 250 & getting it going ! Thanks for starting a tank thread & sharing - we love pics !

On the sand, if it's not "too" fine, might try pointing the left (most powerful) nozzle up & to the right to create a surface ripple - this will help with surface skimming & map cause less of the substrate to blow.

I have seen a couple members running splitters, maybe they can advise.

Would love to see more pics of the beautiful Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish

Thank you for your support!!
I am doing what you are telling, but yea, its too fine,need find another way. I really love the look of the fine sand, but now Im more regret:tears:
Would you recommend putting softy and lps into this tank with butterfly? I was actually going to move all of my corals from old to 250, until my friends gifted the butterfly fish.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have seen several in reef tanks that did fine & were model citizens, but read a few post of some some feeding on stony and soft coral - they are so pretty, I think I would just watch time & see, hopefully he will be a good one if you keep him well fed. lps & soft corals are my favorites :)

on your sand... below is what I have always used & recommend, pretty white & not to small grain size - you can always siphon it out & replace it, if you want. Just do it 1/3 at a time over a couple weeks

Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

Thx, I think I would just spend the time and watch out carefully.
On the sand, I dont know if i would change them, perhaps just cover them with bigger ones.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM club. You're gonna love that tank. With time, your sand may not blow around as much. I'm with Glenn, want to see more photos of those beautiful butterflies.

Diatom looks ok, hairs are growing on live rock, should I scratch them off or leave them on? I might going to get 10-15 CUC, does anyone think this is good enough or i should get more?
IMG_4351.jpg

Does anyone know what on the bottom right of the live rock? It seems like some kinda veg is growing out, is it good or bad?
IMG_4361.jpg

KevinB

Really nice! Really curious to see how your aquascape will look. I have similar sized rocks and find it hard to scape with big ones like that :>

Yes,Ian. I will be getting more rocks in a few days. Just didnt wanna spend too much at once you know:)
I really loved your Tank, and the skills you performed on camera. I am into photograph as well, currently using Canon 7D, but im a newbie.
Looks good, but it looks like you could use more live rock.

Yea, it is really hard to clean it, but i thought most rock are the same, guess the algae will just go away.
Really nice! Really curious to see how your aquascape will look. I have similar sized rocks and find it hard to scape with big ones like that :>

mtk

Welcome...
Look's like you are off to a great start. I have a few question's for you if you don't mind.
1. I was wondering if the live rock was cured live rock when you put it in the tank?
2. How did you cycle your tank and did you watch the lvls rise and drop? Normally I would not do a water change during the cycle because that could so down the cycle.
3. Do you have your own test kit for ammonia, Nitrites, nitrate's?

Please don't take me asking and what I am about to say the wrong way as all I want to do is help.

I am not sure if I missed something but it seems as the butterfly was your first fish in this tank. If that is so and you tank is not fully cycled you might / could have a problem being they are a little more on the delicate side (please correct me if I am wrong on them being delicate). After I added my first fish I kept a close eye on all my lvl's (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates) to make sure my tank had finished cycling. This is where having your own test kit comes in. As for your coral's I would think you should be fine (if your tank is fully cycled) as coral's do not add a bio load to your tank. It also depend's on what coral's you are moving over to the tank Some are hardier then others.

On a side note love the butterfly