MIA clown

Jiddy

Thanks Dave, i calld my LFS (who im tight with) and she is going to order me a mantis trap, i should try that shrimp method tonite, your so smart!

Do you think thats a good price? I know it is for a mated pair, but do you think i should just pair them myselves? I want the link and thanks for the help!

KimPossible

Ohhh nooo...Jiddy! :(
either that or my moorish idol help him get into the filter then he jumped ina pelicans mouth and the bird dropped him into the water so he could be reunited with his father.
LOL!!!
Good Luck and keep us posted!

Yarr

I lost a HEAP of fish both large and small to my killer mantis. I was almost to the point of throwing my tank from the 6th floor balcony where i live. got the lil bugger in the end and have since saved my tanks from more critters like that due to very strict dunking for all new rock and supect pieces of stuff.

Jiddy

Thanks everyone, i feel loved!

Ill check that link out Dave, hopefully i can catch something and get them, ill have to experiment with some poor victim before i order them, lol, to make sure there aint two monsters

Thanks Trav and Kim!

And Yarr, i wish i could pick up my tank, course i wouldnt be able to throw it very far, its in the basement. But on a serious note, what methods of traps did you use. I really dont want to FW dip all my rock, since i just had it out of the tank 4days ago

I am going to be putting a piece of shrimp cocktail in a glass to see if that lures anything tonite, and my LFS is ordering a trap for me to try. What other methods?......

Jiddy

I put in some shrimp in my jar and the nass snails came book'n and the emerald crabs were interested too, but it was to bright for them to eat, hmmm

Attachments

• DSCF0534.JPG
    DSCF0534.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0539.JPG
    DSCF0539.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0536.JPG
    DSCF0536.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 24

Kensn

(In his best Elmer Fudd voice)

Jiddy, make sure to be Bery, bery quiet.............. :)

Jiddy

shOULd i pull the Emeralds??

Then if i do, what should i do next, put fish in there to see if they get eaten????

Kensn

The emeralds don't look big enough to tackle 2 clowns, one after another. You need to go hunting with the lights off.

Craig Manoukian

I would if it were my tank. All crusteaceans are opportunistic eaters and anything with claws is a potential dangeer to sleeping fish. Even "clawless" or spiny lobsters take eat live prey.

I would keep trapping for a good month and remove the crabs before adding any more expensive dinners for the crabs.

Jiddy

Even thou i dont think the crabs did i agree with you Craig, all crabs are evil. period, lets say i take all 3 my crabs out and a month of hunting shows up nothing else, how should i "test the waters"

Craig Manoukian

The only "reef safe" crabs I have found are the true Scarlet Hermits. They have remained algeavores continually cleaning the sand grain by grain.

If you have a mantis you should find a clicking noise at some time unless it is a spearing stomatopod.

Not sure there is a sure fire way of knowing new clowns would be safe, except for a month of no crabs in your trap being a good indicator.

Jiddy

Good point Craig about no trapped creatures. The reason i doubt its a mantis is my rock was bought from a previous reefer plus a bunch of base, i know its possible, just unlikely. I wish i was home at night to spy and hear clickin. And the weekends are either blur or in bed early. Ill give our trap theory a try and see what happens, ill keep you posted!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I agree with removing the emeralds. I caught mine chewing on my purple gorgonian :(

Try changing the jar's angle Jiddy.. put the mouth of it HIGHER than the bottom. The idea is to allow the critters to enter and make it difficult for them to get out.. they'll slide in and hopefully stay there ;)

Jiddy

Thanks Doni, i threw that in there to see if they liked the shrimp and didnt have time to adjust, i see the crabs gave up on the shrimp thou..... i did see lots of little clear "fleas" covering just now thou

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Also, be sure to replace the shrimp frequently with a new piece every 8-10 hrs or so.