MIA clown

Jiddy

I have a 220 that is all cycled and been keepin a damsel and YT in there for a while now. I went to buy 2 clowns from my LFS, the clowns were acclimated for about 5hrs because i was tryin to catch the damsel, lol. Well i put both the clowns in the water and they loved it, they same all around and looked happy. They chilled out all day and then this morning i seen the little one but the big one is MIA. I cant find a body and she didnt jump on me. The YT and lil clown are happy, and my water parameters are good, only thing is Nitrate is at 5. Any suggestions or ideas?

Gina

RS STAFF
Do you have an overflow and if you do is there any chance that it's in there?

Gina

RS STAFF
Are you sure it's not hiding or stuck in the LR somewhere?
Have you checked your sump?
I have heard of some people finding fish in their sump.

Just thoughts to try and figure out where he went.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It's hiding behind a rock and laughing at you jiddy :tongue:

... seriously, if it's not on the floor, nor in the overflow or sump, it must be in the aquarium some where! Do you have any fish eating starfish, mantis', crabs, etc??

Jiddy

Thanks Gina, i looked everywhere twice, cant seem to find her.

And Doni, all i have is some big mexi Turbo's and 3 emerald crabs that could of been accomplices in this mystery. I dont know if there is a mantis, but i would highly doubt it since the LR came from someone who had a blue damsel for a long time that was pretty slow too

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
hummm... do you have any cats or dogs in your house? Maybe they snatched up the clown when it jumped out.... If not, then my guess is it is behind a rock somewhere :(

Newt

Most likely it is just hiding in a crevice of your liverock, some fish even acclimated over a good deal of time can be quite shy, give it some time and hopefully s/he'll show up.

In the mean time, I'll wish you the best.

Jiddy

Thanks guys, i dont have any pets other than fish. And my son is highly supervised when next to my tank, so i doubt he tried fish jerky. I suppose a rock may of fell on her, but the odds of that are highly unlucky, i dont know, maybe i have a sea creature who eats fish in the night.

The biggest thing is the clown was happy for the few hours i added him to the tank, and the YT is very shy and wouldnt bother the clowns anyways, that is all the inhabitants except for 3 emerald crabs, snails and a lionfish..... So he would of been happy then hiding?

Oh by the way, i dont have a lionfish, that was a joke!

Jiddy

Well i ordered them from PS, but that site's customer service was so ridiculous i canceled it. So i went to the LFS. There was two in two differant tanks. One tank was two small ones (the one i still have) i took the happy one that swam around and ate right away, the second tank (one missin) had one that was huddled under the UGF pipe all scared and the one i took that ate right away. It was larger so i figured they would make a good male female pair someday. why do you ask

Kensn

They might of not got along. One may of harassed the other. It is always a chance when introducing two fish of the same species. How much larger is the missing one?

Jiddy

About twice the size. The lil one swam from one end of the tank to the other, both where in a acclimation jar together and didnt even look at one another, but were to curious. The big one just swam up and down the side of the tank lookin at its reflection

Gina

RS STAFF
I hope he's just hiding and comes on out for you today!
I would probably just try picking up a few pieces of rock carefully anyway and see what happens.
I hope you find him!

Kensn

Well if you did not see any signs of aggression from the onset, that kinda blows my theroy. If he is hiding somewhere I hope he comes out in the next couple of days.

Jiddy

Im pretty positive the YT and other clown didnt bother him even the slightest, let alone enough to hide. What puzzles me about hidin is he was fine the day i got him, so why would he hide today?