Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

Keifer1122

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

K thanks for the input SM. Also noticed an explosion of coralline algae everywhere (looks sweet).

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Clean after the first 2 weeks max. Then clean 1/2 each week.

bluespotjawfish

So don't clean for 1 more week, then 1/2 of it once each week?

DAY 4 PICS - ONE OF EACH SIDE (Top pic Two bulbs; Bottom Single bulb)

Attachments

• P1100100DAY4-SIDE1.JPG
    P1100100DAY4-SIDE1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 144
  • P1100102DAY4-SIDE2.JPG
    P1100102DAY4-SIDE2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 143

bluespotjawfish

I am also still running the skimmer. This is the collection for a 2 day period. My chaeto is still in there too and is growing well.

Attachments

• P1100106-skimmer2days.JPG
    P1100106-skimmer2days.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 143
  • P1100105-chaeto.JPG
    P1100105-chaeto.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 142

I did a cleaning tonight. Remember this one SantaMonica?

FishTankstuff10-31-08002-1.jpg

FishTankstuff10-31-08057.jpg

The mini aqualight on top does put out enough light in this small container to cover both sides of the screen. Although, the one side did have a bit more coverage. None-the-less, they both had algae cover on them. And yes I know, I forgot to clean only one side. My bad!

Dec42008firstcleaning002.jpg

Dec42008firstcleaning004-1.jpg

Dec42008firstcleaning001.jpg

Dec42008firstcleaning003.jpg

Dec42008firstcleaning005-1.jpg

Dec42008firstcleaning006.jpg

Dec42008firstcleaning007.jpg

Dec42008firstcleaning009.jpg

Dec42008firstcleaning010.jpg

Looks like it's doing it's job!

11-25-2008Tankshots007.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

jawfish: Correct. Screens that are lit on both sides need one side cleaned per week; Screens lit on only one side need 1/2 of that side cleaned per week. And don't be surprised if your chaeto does not grow as well once your scrubber is going strong.

Tanner: Good to see the growth. The subsequent growth will be faster, so you can get into the one-side-per-week routine. Also, if that mini light has an actinic bulb, replace it with a 5100K or 6500K, since actinics don't help algae much.

I didn't put the actinic one in there. I ordered the freshwater version.

Mya

Omg, I read it ALL! Very interesting. Someone suggested to me this thread from my chronicles. If you didnt know... I got the most outrageous Nitrates ever...
Get ready to fall out of ur chair...

Im talking 160+ (Lets just say in my one minute shake... the tube is already at 160... thats before the 5 minute wait time.) I am going to see about converting my sump possibly over to this without chopping up my sump. I kinda like how it looks and how the concept works. I dont have any space really under my cabinet for anything else. Im sure I will mess it up but Im going to give it a go. Space/Heat/water flow and light all seem to be my main concern in such a tight area.

Im going to Home Depot to look for some bulbs and housing units for them and also to find out how hot they get. I dont want it melting my sump in any fashion. I shall return.

Varga

I really dont think the turf is going to put much of a dent in nitrates 160. Tried some back to back big water changes? like 30% every other day

Mya

I did 15 gals everyday for a week straight and almost dissolved my starfish. My fish do fine in it but my corals are what pay the price.

I want it right... Thats what Im searching for. I dont plan to turn off my sump or my 2 skimmers I am already running.. but am looking to add more to help my problem.

untilthen

thx i have begun my own version... so when the algae builds up i scrape it off?

bluespotjawfish

I think you start after 2 weeks of growth.

Mya, have you checked your source water? Using tap water by chance?

Mya

Nope. Not tap. DI/RO that I buy at the LFS. Its due to overstocking my tank and the likes.

Okay, I think I talked myself right out of this project. Yes, I think it will work and yes I think it is a nice project but I think I am going to go for a refuge and hopefully get some long term solid results that way.

Last edited:

ReefGuy69

Just got back from HD. got all my part and am assembling my scrubber now. For now im going to try and light it on both sides. One with the light i picked up and the other side with the current light i have. Will eventually put a freshwater bulb in it. we'll see how it works out. I think im going to be able to fit a 10X10 or a 10X9 piece. With it working on both sides i should be more then set. I cut half the hole for the screen then dremel died. half to wait till battery charges to cut other half. will take pics of it up and running in the Morning.

ReefGuy69

Ok things are not working out as planned. I do not have enough room for the lights to fit. On to plan B. Im going to use just the current light i have. Will have to replace the Actinic PC light and get a plant light or another 10,000K bulb. Then i will order another duplicate light set and light the other side of the screen. Because these Coralife units are so skinny i will be able to use the two of them and they will fit. The plumbing glue is drying and im going to take another stab at finishing the screen slot in the pipe. Those lights are really bulky.. Even if i had an empty stand i dunno how they would fit. Hopefully these coralife lights work out. I guess when life throws lemons at ya, you got to take em and make lemonaid. :)

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Tanner if you can replace it with the 10K or 6500K, you'll get better growth.

Omg, I read it ALL!

Yep, I've spent over a month reading some long threads. Did not think mine would become one of them.

I really dont think the turf is going to put much of a dent in nitrates 160. Tried some back to back big water changes? like 30% every other day

Well w/c will of course help for a day or so. And you'd think that high N would not be helped as much by a scrubber. However what's being reported is that the higher numbers get helped the fastest; it the lower portion (under 5ppm) where it starts to slow down. Other people with 100+ N report that in the first two weeks, it's already down to 20. Think about it... all that N to feed the algae, so there's nothing to stop the algae from growing (except light).

I dont plan to turn off my sump or my 2 skimmers I am already running

So you see how well skimmer remove Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate, right?

thx i have begun my own version... so when the algae builds up i scrape it off?

Wait 2 weeks, then clean 1/2 each week.

Just got back from HD. got all my part and am assembling my scrubber now.

Pics please.

ReefGuy69

Ok still a work in progress. Heres a few mistakes i made. One is cut the slot for the screen as small as possible. i accidently did it to big and the water just rushes down the first part of the screen it meets. Second is super glue is really super.only in the fact that it will glue anything that comes in contact with your skin, including other skin. It doesnt however work at keeping the metal clamps in the plastic clamps that come with tank dividers. Plumbers good however does. Im off to cut another section of PVC and use the dremel to make the slot. I think the slot is the hardest part. Once done i will post pics of the setup. once my fingers come unglued.

jski711

this is what i'm growing with 130pc light on my screen. MAD TURF!! This has been my only filtration for my 75g tank with 11 fish in it.

DSCF0635.jpg

ReefGuy69

Very Nice Looking Turf. Cant wait to get to that stage. Well its all set up and running. I snapped some pics. My flash seems to not want to function so all my pics came out dark but this one. The light is about 3-4inch from the screen. ive got pretty good coverage with flow on the screen except for the very edge to the left. Its hard to tell in the pic. Its all set for easy take out when i need to scrub/harvest. Will keep ya posted on how it goes. Am looking to order different bulbs and another light to light the other side of the screen.

Picture021.jpg