Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Congrats! Can you move the light closer, or add another one?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

LEDs for Scrubbers

Many folks want to try an LED scrubber. We do to, which is why we are trying to figure them out on the scrubber site. However, they are a ways down the road; nothing to report yet. If anyone wants to try themselves, here is a starting point:

Low-Power LED panel, to experiement with:
led grow lights -Sunshine Systems : The GlowPanel LED grow light

Higher-Power LED panel, not sure if enough for good growth:
led grow lights -Sunshine Systems : The GlowPanel 45 LED Grow Light

The deal with LEDs is that you need lots of light power to have good growth. How much is still unknown. But the above panels are cheap enough that some folks should be able to give them a try. It's just for experimenting, though. If you need results you can count on, get a 23W CFL full spectrum or bigger, or a T5HO, or halide

bluespotjawfish

The light is about 6" away. I don't think I can get it closer and there isn't enough room on the other side for another one. There is another light overhead (a PC quad).

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

Yesterday I made a scrubber for the sump, today I upgraded it! Sweet!

Nice job Lorraine! Are you concerned about undesirable algae growth in your sump with that set up? Or is that an issue?

bluespotjawfish

I moved the light closer. I do worry about it falling in the water like that, but I used a tie wrap in addition to the clamp. What other ideas you guys got to secure it???

As for algae in the sump, it shouldn't be a problem. Even with nitrates at 50 ppm, I haven't seen much of anything, other than some short green stuff that is impossible to scrape off on the fuge walls that the bugs love. This photo shows the algae in the fuge and some of the bugs too.

I disconnected the Phosban reactor today. It was undetectable on the test kit. I will test for it throughout the week starting tomorrow and can always hook it back up if I need to.

Attachments

• P1090889-fugewall.JPG
    P1090889-fugewall.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 150

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

What type bulb is it?

bluespotjawfish

6500 K Bright Effects Daylight 75w (18w).

I can't believe how much algae disappeared on the walls of the fuge overnight! Is that normal? I turned off the fuge lights and left on the new light. No visible green on the screen yet.

Attachments

• P1100048lack of algae.JPG
    P1100048lack of algae.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 146
  • P1100047baseofbulb.JPG
    P1100047baseofbulb.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 145

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

I don't think it has anything to do with the screen.

Can you get a brighter bulb? 23W really should be the minimum. You could keep your 18, and add another 23 on another clip.

Since yours is one-sided, you are really going to need some bright coverage from end-to-end on the screen. I don't think a single 18W will be able to filter your tank. If I were setting it up and were limited to one side, I'd put 2 X 35W, and make sure the flow was very strong all the way across.

bluespotjawfish

So the base is rated for 75w. With the energy bulbs, can I use the 35w in that base or do I need a different base too?

bluespotjawfish

90/26w lamp or 120w ??? Based is rated for 150w I don't know the k rating on these.

I also found a 90/26w shop light that will work for the back side. It is 7000k.

Attachments

• P1100051-90w.JPG
    P1100051-90w.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 140
  • P1100052-120w.JPG
    P1100052-120w.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 139
  • P1100056-23lamp.JPG
    P1100056-23lamp.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 140
  • P1100055-26lamp.JPG
    P1100055-26lamp.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 139
  • P1100054-150base.JPG
    P1100054-150base.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 138

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

The first one... 90/26. Two of them, preferrably, pointed at different parts of the screen.

bluespotjawfish

I can't fit two of them in there. However, the shop light (90/26w) will be on the opposite side.

bluespotjawfish

The one side has the 26w, the other side has the 18w and the 26w shop light. The shop light is cool because the 18w lamp will plug into it too.

I think this is as tinkered as I can get with all three lights in there.

Do I need to seal anything? I bought some aquarium silicone in case I needed to.

Attachments

• P1100062-3lights.JPG
    P1100062-3lights.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 131

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

I think the light connections are far enough away to not need sealing. Let's see how things develop after a few days.

yeniraki

Any body start having bryopsis and hair algae after using ATS for 2 months? My nitrates were between 5-10. After ATS they become 0-5 however I start having bryopsis and hair algea.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Nope. Bring your nitrate and phosphate even lower, and they'll go away. Make the light stronger/closer if you have to. In my tank, I've only seen cyano stick around with very low N and P (because cyano can make it's own N), but coralline evenually covers it up.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Successes of the Day:

brianhellno on the MFK site: "Just wanted to share my success with a turf scrubber with my freshwater tank. Currently I have a 125 with (5) 6-inch piranha, (6) 4-inch giant danios, about (20) 1-inch baby black cons, (2) 2-inch green terrors, (2) 2-inch jack dempseys, and (1) 2.5 inch blue malawi cichlid. The smaller fish were all supposed to be feeders, but the piranha ignore them. Anyways I've had the scrubber up and running for almost three weeks now and I finally tested the water parameters: Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 5 ppm. Not too bad! Usually the Nitrate sits around 40 to 80 ppm right before a water change, so this is definitely an improvement. All I can say is thanks for the great idea!

worley on the scrubber site: "Well just got my phosphate test kit and did a test... *drumroll* .... 0ppm. It's the API phosphate test kit, and it was the very lightest green on the salt water card (0ppm). That's a great result, especially as I'm now feeding tonnes into the tank, 1 block of brine shrimp and 1 of mysis, plus some live brine (fed with live phyto a an hour before feeding to the fish) and some pellet foods. [...] I still can't get over the phosphate test, and how low the nitrates are considering there's not been a water change in 2 months and so much food has gone in.

jan on the RPhil site: "Today is my 24th day of cycling, I measured my water my parameters and here are the result: Nitrate 0ppm. Turf algae is almost all over my screen Razz !!!! thanks for this great Idea!

bluespotjawfish

********* Two Days Old **********

Attachments

• P1100091-turf2day.JPG
    P1100091-turf2day.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 158
  • P1100091-turf2days.JPG
    P1100091-turf2days.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 158
  • P1100092-turf2days.JPG
    P1100092-turf2days.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 158

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Brown by the second day is a great sign of having enough light :)

ReefGuy69

Well i have finally made my way thru to the end of this thread. It all looks very good. Im thinking of getting one of these up and running. I do have a couple questions I have a light already on my fuge im hoping i can use for a light for the scrubber. Do you think it wont work? Its listed on my signature for fuge light. I also am concerned about salt splashing all over the place. Is this an issue with anyone? Also i am concerned that when and if the power goes out my algae scrubber will kick the bed. any thoughts on what i can do in a case like this? The only way i have to run it would be in my existing sump off my drain line with a T off it with a ball valve. and if power goes out the return wont be able to pump and my water will come to a hault. and my last concern is where can i put it in my sump? If you can take a look at my sump and see if you have any ideas. I dont have a way from work now to post the pics from photobucket but i can when i get home if you havent seen them by then. Any help appreciated. thanks